Forester SJ XT Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Clem, Oct 24, 2016.

1. STI_guy

STI_guy Well-Known Member

18x8 + 45 on rsr lowering springs and its dark grey

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  2. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Took of the winters today and put the stock wheels and all-season tires back on. I really would like to get a nice black wheel set up for the summer/all seasons, or even get the OEM wheels powder coated, but funds will keep them they way they are for at least another season. Also finally installed the GS BroTie and Hella Supertones. Had to get creative with the wiring, but they work! They need some better leveling too, but I'll touch that up next week - I needed to get a few other things done before the night's end.

I was going to put my new wrapped grille in tonight also, but when it was delivered there was a misunderstanding, and it ended up coming with a carbon fiber wrap, and I had ordered gloss black so it's going back to get re-done. Hopefully that will go in next weekend! (Until then, please don't judge the horrible shape of this grille..the previous owner took plastidip to the whole thing and then was never cleaned off properly.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    tangledupinblu likes this.
  3. STI_guy

Wax and grease remover works really good on cleaning plastic dip off. I use it at work when we take off plastic dip off wheels.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  4. STI_guy

So I was wondering what kind of hitch some of you guys have. I don't know if I wanna go oem or curt just need a little extra space for a cargo carrier for camping.

5. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

6. STI_guy

Does anyone have a cargo hitch rack in their xt with nameless exhaust, I heard they can melt whatever is on the rack just a little paranoid.

7. JuStaWRX

I, too, have the Curt hitch. When I purchased the vehicle it was already on there and is the 1 1/4" hitch. If I were to do it over, I would go for the 2". I know @TMF has a 2" and a hitch mounted cargo tray with the WRX catback... not sure if that will be similar or not.

8. accord917

accord917 Well-Known Member

I have the Curt 2" hitch, wrx midpipe, nameless axel back, and a hitch mounted cargo tray. Used the cargo tray for mostly camping gear 5-6 times this past year. The gears are in tubs and strapped down. Shortest trip was Duluth from Minneapolis and longest was Red Lake Falls (6hrs). No issues seen so far.

9. STI_guy

Thanks for the tip I didn't think about using tubs I was looking at cargo bags and stuff worrying about ruining those.

10. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

I'm guessing no issues with curt hitch clearing nameless cats?

11. Clem

Clem Active Member

[​IMG]

Still need to shine up the tires and see if there is any rubbing issues on highway driving before I decide how much to roll.

..... thats a lot of tire (for my preference).

JuStaWRX likes this.
  12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Looks good though! I think it may look a little "gappy" with smaller rubber?

Clem likes this.
  13. Clem

Clem Active Member

Definitely would. I could go down to a 50 sidewall, but I don't want to buy new tires (I don't want to get the speedo all out of whack either)... I'm still playing with the idea of going with a larger wheel setup next year so I can get down to a 45 sidewall.

14. SkeetsWisconny

Like the wheels but yea a lot of rubber - but no worse look than on stock wheels by any means. Would indeed look nicer on 50 series sidewall. I can't make up mind on wheels yet either - just don't know if I can spend as much dough as it would take to buy the wheels I'm considering. If the stockers were just a bit wider I wouldn't even consider it. Here's to your new summer setup!

15. accord917

No issues.

16. accord917

Anybody using something other than the stock xt struts with lowering springs? I am running Mann Lowering Springs and the ride height is to my liking, but the subie seems too floaty/bouncy as of late (about 5k miles on this set up). 12k total on the car (2016 xt).

17. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I have the Draw-Tite 2". Very little price difference between the 1 1/4" and 2" hitches, but the 2" has much higher capacities, so might as well get the 2". The Draw-Tite is fairly hidden as well (I believe it is exactly the same as the Hidden Hitch brand).

I bought mine from etrailer and they were super helpful and had fair prices. I highly recommend them.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Forester/2016/75876.html?vehicleid=201622579

I have the Swagman Chinook 2 bike rack and also the steel rear cargo carrier from Harbor Freight (can be had for about $35 when on sale and using a coupon). I like both items a lot! The hitch is one of my favorite mods and I question why I haven't put hitches on past cars.

(I do get some black soot/residue on the bike carrier from the exhaust. Cleans up easily though.)
    [​IMG]

(I have the WRX catback...no issues with burning the tote, but it also wasn't directly behind the exhaust. The tote will definitely get dirty, but the self-spray car wash cleans it up easily.)
    [​IMG]

And I've even towed with it (sorry for the photo dump of photos that everyone has probably already seen :nerd: )
    [​IMG]

JuStaWRX and SkeetsWisconny like this.
  18. SkeetsWisconny

Been researching a potential setup for some time and considering these Niche Targa-M129 19x8.5 40mm rims. On something like the 245x45x19 of BFGoodrich GForce Comp-2 A/S's. And black lugs.

I recently (finally) installed my sport grill and I think the grey trim of it would compliment the Gun Metal Matte finish to these wheels similar to how my 17inch Vision Cross winter wheel setup does. I don't think the lesser tire height (45 series) would be an issue for a good look based on photos I've seen, ride comfort and compliance on stock springs, and a good set of tires. It's a chunk of change but I think it would really improve the look and feel of my vehicle. I'm not considering lowering it at all due to my desire to keep clearance and ride comfort intact.
    I welcome your opinions...

Attached Files:

clajiness and JuStaWRX like this.
  19. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Got the summer wheels mounted yesterday!
    IMG_4042.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG

Clem, TMF, JuStaWRX and 2 others like this.
  20. JuStaWRX

Looks awesome! I love that blue!

Got the vinyl wrapped grille installed! I am pretty happy with how it turned out!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Clem, TMF and STI_guy like this.
  21. STI_guy

That looks really nice with the emblem.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  22. tangledupinblu

Looks mean!!

JuStaWRX likes this.
  23. accord917

Installed subispeed rear marker/signal led lights tonight. 20 min. install.

Attached Files:

24. JuStaWRX

Nice! I have the one from Diode Dynamics waiting to go in. Can you post/pm me some pics with the Gorilla flaps? Any reason you chose those over RokBlokz or RA? I've been on the fence for a while about putting them on the SJ...

25. accord917

I have had both the Gorilla and RokBlokz on past subarus (foresters). They both seems to be the same initially. The RokBlokz took a weird shape/deformed after a year or so of use. Never had this issue with the Gorilla plus it was $10 less when I purchased it.

I do not like the RA flimsy ones and the thicker ones were too spendy for my taste.

Will take more pictures after work today

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    JuStaWRX likes this.
  26. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Gorilla actually sources their flaps from RokBlokz.

27. accord917

I heard that as well. I would say either one would be fine. I need to find an old picture of the RokBlokz though as it was shorter (does not sit as low) than the Gorilla. About 1/2 inch if I remembered correctly.

28. accord917

Pictures of the Gorilla flaps. Could not find any old ones of the RokBlokz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JuStaWRX likes this.
  29. SkeetsWisconny

Anyone see any issue with fitment of 19x8.5 40mm offset wheels running 245x45x19 rubber on stock suspension? Or 255's ?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  30. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...2=50&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8-5&offset2=40

I'd be most concerned about the inner clearance. It's 11mm closer. I'd go out and see how much clearance you already have, but it would probably be fine.

Assuming there is enough inner clearance and that you're stock height, I don't think you'll have any issues with 255's.

For reference, here's my winter setup comparison to stock. It's essentially the same inner clearance, but pokes out more. I had no issues at all with the fenders or wheel wells.
    http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...ct2=60&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=8&offset2=35

31. SkeetsWisconny

I think the back spacing will be fine too but may have to go with a 245 depending on tire availability and pricing, more researching to do. I like the reviews from the BF Goodrich Soort Comp2 A/S's and I've always heard great thing about the Continental Extreme contact DWS 06's.

Thanks for the link - I actually had found that one already and it was helpful to visualize a potential new setup but still didn't validate my specific question. Found a guy who has A similar setup as I'm looking at with 245's and has no issues. Haven't been able to locate anyone who has 255's yet however.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  32. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

There's a couple running 255's on this page: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...-tire-fitment-information-175057/index14.html

I think you'll be fine on 255's...the FXT is pretty high. But unless you're tracking it and really want the aggressive look, there isn't much difference between 245 and 255 on the street, besides cost.

I had the Conti DWS's on a previous car (the older version, but very similar). I dd'ed them, tracked them, drove them in the snow...they did everything "well" for an all season. The only thing that I hated about them was the squishy sidewalls. Not sure if they have been stiffened up on the new version.

33. SkeetsWisconny

Thx! Indeed, seemingly less options for 255's and more $.

Heard that as well but wonder if that is why they were still so tolerable for comfortable DD'ing but I can't imagine they were really that bad if they were able to perform at the levels people report. Thx again.

34. Clem

Clem Active Member

@TMF Nice to run in to you earlier and exchange greetings.

TMF likes this.
  35. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yes, good to meet you as well...it was your wheels that made me recognize the car. Hope your mom enjoys the new forester!

36. JuStaWRX

*Insert 15 year old chuckle at, what out of context/with the right infliction, could be a great your-mom joke.*
    *No disrespect to your mother.

Clem and SkeetsWisconny like this.
  37. Clem

Clem Active Member

I tried to talk her into an XT and she says, "I don't need a damn turbo to go get groceries!"

She picked up a brand new '17 2.0i Touring in Sephia Bronze. I like the interior and the changes they made to the trim pieces.

SkeetsWisconny and JuStaWRX like this.
  38. JuStaWRX

A couple photos of the cleaned up aesthetic "upgrades".

Attached Files:

tangledupinblu likes this.
  39. tangledupinblu

I know that it's not an SJ, but it's Fozzy love and belongs in this thread. :)

SkeetsWisconny, JuStaWRX and Roboduck like this.
  40. Clem

Clem Active Member

Yes! These guys are great! I've seen a bunch of there videos.

41. tangledupinblu

After seeing this episode, I want to buy one and do it up the same way! And I've never really wanted a Forester before. But God it looks good!!

42. Clem

Clem Active Member

I agree. I've always liked the '06-'08s Fozzies, but the '09-'13s (SH model?) have really been growing on me. The front ends are so beefy looking.

The second episode where they bring it in for dyno.... dude was getting a little nervous (or at least portrayed to be), hoping the engine doesn't pop.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  43. tangledupinblu

Because Subaru!

44. JuStaWRX

@Clem you have been spotted on the Facebook...

Attached Files:

45. Clem

Clem Active Member

He was nice feller. Said he was an admin on here.... or was MNSubiez... my memory is horsesh*t!! Time to go venerial.... or is it viral?!?!

Made me feel all warm and fuzzy with all the compliments :ninja:

In other news, anyone interested in an OEM nav HU?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    STI_guy and JuStaWRX like this.