Forester SJ XT Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Clem, Oct 24, 2016.

1. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

Post it on eBay. I made a bunch of cash from the nav unit from my '13 WRX.

2. STI_guy

STI_guy Well-Known Member

Is the oem navi a direct swap or do I have to buy extra stuff.

3. Clem

Clem Active Member

Thats the thing.... I'm not entirely sure if its a direct swap. Its the Harman/Kardon Nav unit, so I don't know if the pins are different from the non-H/K units.

4. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Put in my XB LED fogs today. Very easy install! Excited to check them out tonight when it's actually dark...

Attached Files:

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Putting in for a "pics request"!

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  6. Clem

Clem Active Member

Did you have to adjust the cutoff height at all?

7. JuStaWRX

I did not - the guy i bought them from had them already well adjusted. So far I really like them. I didn't get much night driving in last night, but got a couple shots in the garage. Hoping to put the Lamin-X on later this week.
    upload_2017-5-7_9-48-51.png
    upload_2017-5-7_9-49-9.png

8. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

New tires, wheels, and hitch arrived.

Attached Files:

JuStaWRX likes this.
  9. tangledupinblu

Those are going to look fantastic on there!

10. JuStaWRX

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  11. SkeetsWisconny

Thx - I sure hope so. Spent a lot of time researching, negotiating, and debating options. So hard to decide without seeing them in person. Getting them mounted and balanced Wednesday. Negotiated between local tire shops down to $235 for mounting, balancing, TPMS sensors, and programming.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. Clem

Clem Active Member

Speaking of TPMS... didn't someone mention they owned a "magic wand" for the sensors?

@SkeetsWisconny those wheels are going to look shweeet!!

I'm also trying to decide between tires sizes for my planned new setup. I'm going 19x9.5 +38 and I'm really struggling with a tire size.

245/45 would be the "correct" size. I've been looking at 255/40 and then 235/40 as the most extreme for me.

Options in the 245/45 and 255/40 are plentiful. Speedo error is minimal on the 255/40.

13. clajiness

Hello SJ Enthusiasts. Quick question for ya. My 15 XT with ~26k miles has developed a rough idle when fully warmed up. It's been getting progressively worse over the last month or so. I have an appointment on Tuesday, so it's getting checked out, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has experienced the issue.

The only known issue I can think of is that recall they had last year for the bad turbo inlet (or something like that). They checked my car per the recall, but found it was fine. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I tend the feel the vibration in the seat, so wondered if the transmission could cause a shake like that when in drive, but stopped.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, all!

14. JuStaWRX

I have experienced this as well, but have not done much about it yet. My first thought was cleaning the MAF sensor... haven't done it, but I remember back with my WRX that would have the potential to make a difference. My assumption is that the process would be similar/the same for cleaning that?

Let us know what you find out!

15. Clem

Clem Active Member

Sometimes I get a shudder/rough idle while in drive, but stopped or when coming to a stop (but I think when I'm coming to a stop quickly, the transmission is trying to find the right gear).

I too would be interested to hear what you find out.

16. SkeetsWisconny

Thx - yea these are 19x8.5 and I went with 245x45's due to all of the reasons u just mentioned

17. SkeetsWisconny

Occasional shudder here as well. Let us know what u find out. Good thought on the MAF cleaning but at 26k I wouldn't think it would be that dirty already but who knows, def worth cleaning with a quick spray. Haven't located mine but plan to clean it in the near future when I put in my new new air filter so I'll try to remember to post how amber mine actually looks (I'm at 36,500 miles now).

18. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I get that shame shudder as well, '14 with just under 21k on the clock.

19. JuStaWRX

upload_2017-5-15_9-5-8.png
    Upgraded from Halogens to LEDs in the low beams and fogs over the last two weeks. Hope that they are not too bright! Initial thoughts are that the look is very clean, and definitely bright.

Attached Files:

20. STI_guy

I was thinking about going led what brand did you get?

21. tangledupinblu

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...it-turbo-clamps-318129/#/topics/318129?page=1 ????

clajiness likes this.
  22. clajiness

23. tangledupinblu

:thumbup:

24. JuStaWRX

I went off of the recommendations from a guy on the SJ Forester group on FB in FL that ran these JDM ASTAR G1 LEDs. They are super bright, but honestly, fit like a dream, and have a nice clean white look. I was nervous of the "ricer" look, but they are not bad at all. I also hoped that they would match the XBs better, but it's fine because it just solidifies that I will put the LaminX overlays on the XBs.

25. clajiness

Nada. They felt the shake in it, but couldn't find anything wrong with the car. They said the shaking is "within spec".

They said to give them a call when it happens again, which is dumb because it'll happen on my drive home. So I guess I just drive it until it gets worse, while hopefully not causing damage.

This doesn't exactly give me confidence in my car.

26. tangledupinblu

IMG_8003.JPG

27. JuStaWRX

That's a bummer to hear. I can't say I'm overly surprised with the response. Have you considered contacting SOA through their customer service? I was told I was SOL with the seat bolster from the dealership, but then went on and contacted SOA and it was taken care of. May be worth a look. I am also curious to try the suggested fixes from the subaruforester.org post... we will see what the summer brings. I have had the shudder almost as long as I can remember having the vehicle, and I don't feel like it has gotten worse. I am just shy of 59k miles.

28. clajiness

Have you had any related CELs or anything? With any actual evidence of anything going wrong, they're not itching to do much about it. My hope is that it's not related to last year's recall.

29. JuStaWRX

No CELs or any other related issues...[yet].

30. clajiness

This. At least I still have 10k left on my bumper to bumper warranty.

It doesn't help that I have my eye on that Golf R at Morries... This is making not buying it harder.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  31. SkeetsWisconny

Thanks for sending this link - I remember coming across this a while back but didn't take the time to read all the way through (it's quite a long thread!) Mostly positive feedback from swapping the clamps but a few that complain of black smoke possibly linked to carbon buildup. May have to do this upgrade but i will likely have someone do them for me as it seems a little too meticulous for me these days.

@clajiness - Sorry to hear of your significant issues. Pretty bad to pull the "it's within spec card" when it's that new and that apparent. Mine isn't that bad for now but certainly noticeable when it does shudder from time to time. My guess is that it will worsen over time especially when I start modifying. At least hopefully they have some record of it and may cover something in the future if things worsen. Keep us posted and good luck.

clajiness likes this.
  32. STI_guy

Yea my 17 shudders from time to time it's has 13k miles it doesn't bother me as much tho because my sti did it. I should tell the dealership to tho just to be safe.

33. clajiness

Update on the SJ Shake. I noticed today that when I'm at a red light and the car is giving me the shake, my headlights are dimming at the same time. It reminds me of a low RPM thing with a manual where if you almost stall it, the lights dim. This is a bit more erratic though. So ya, somehow I doubt this is 'within spec'. I have proof of this from my dash cam, so I'll post that this evening.

One other thing I noticed is that when the car is in park, it's fine. The issue only happens when it's up to temp, in drive, and it's stopped (at a light, etc). I mention this because I have to believe they tested it in the shop while it was in park.

I'm going to make another appointment, and I'll update everyone on what they tell me this time.

34. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

On my old Impreza the idle was so low the lights would dim at red lights in neutral. That bugged me when it happened in a 15 year old car so I can't imagine it is in spec on a brand new car. I really hope they can find a solution for you!

clajiness likes this.
  35. JuStaWRX

Are you still running the OEM/original battery? Could that be a source of under power?

36. curly2k3

Mine was replaced with a Nissan branded one before I bought it since the factory one appeared to be struggling a bit on cold cranking amps on one of the cold starts.

37. clajiness

Yup, original battery. Good thought!

Edit: If it were the battery, would it explain why the car starts just fine and it only shakes when the car is at full temp?

I'm thinking I may go the @ShortytheFirefighter route and buy some gasoline and flares.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  38. tangledupinblu

/thread.

39. JuStaWRX

On Subaruforester.org and the SJ group the Yellow and Red Tops have been popular batteries. I too am still running my original battery but hope to replace it this summer. I am leaning towards an Interstate (just based on positive experience) or the Costco batteries (great ratings for cold starts). If you're still under warranty, is that something that they would replace?

40. SkeetsWisconny

Mine was replaced under warranty.

41. STI_guy

Picked up a yakima skybox lo carbonite it's awesome and it fits in the garage. IMG_5372.JPG IMG_5361.JPG

Attached Files:

42. curly2k3

thinking the shake may be increased by fuel used, if I run BP 93 I don't see it nearly as much, if I run Mobile or Shell I see it with some more regularity and I regretfully had to fill with Quick Trip the other day and have seen a significant increase in the shake as well as increased knock and timing being pulled.

clajiness likes this.
  43. clajiness

I wonder if a OTS Cobb tune would help.

44. clajiness

That's the box I want! How much clearance do you have when pulling into your garage? I have the Yakima bars, which sit a little higher, so hopefully you have at least a few inches.

45. STI_guy

I have about 3-4 inches on 7ft garage door. It is a really nice box they are discontinuing it so there aren't much left it's 20% off at rack attack and one more is coming to rei on the 30th right after the sale.

JuStaWRX likes this.