Forester XT to STi conversion complete... Kudos to Nathan

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by tetsusan, Jul 26, 2007.

1. tetsusan

tetsusan New Member

Just got my '04 Forester XT back from it's conversion to STi specs (STi intercooler, VF39, '04 STi ECU, catless uppipe, Godspeed downpipe, STi axle-back, STi rear sway).
    Big difference... The power comes on much more linear than I thought it would. It drives the same as before around town, but step on it and you get pinned to your seat, but without any surging or jerkiness. No major issues to speak of, drives like a stock STi but retains the classic Subaru 'angry toaster' Forester good looks:eek4: .
    One issue I need to address still is a gap between the old seal from the hood scoop and the new STi intercooler which sits lower, and of course bigger, than the stock XT unit. I dont want to spend the $ for an aftermarket splitter/bellows, but was wondering about fabricating something using somekind of heavy duty weatherproofing rubber (garage door seal?).
    Suggestions?
    But a big kudos to Nathan (wrxboy2003) for doing the work. I gave up trying to do the wrench time myself, the uppipe alone looked like severe pain. Nathan did an excellent job with the conversion and was quick to improvise a couple times when needed. Highly recommended shop.
    Given the overall cost using used parts, this is a great bang for the buck project.

2. wrxjoe

wrxjoe Well-Known Member

damn, I would love to do this too, now you need the jdm sti forester front end

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I saw your Black Forester outside of his shop the other day, noticed the STi axleback. Nice looking ride! And now it's quick too, congrats.

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I'd love to check out your FXTi. You can check out my IC duct work, too. lol, it's not very 'pretty' but it gets the job done.

5. tetsusan

tetsusan New Member

'Pretty' is subjective; but horspower, like beer, seem to universally increase the attraction. If you have any duct-taped solution that works, that would be a thing of beauty to me.

Oh the joy of having a Suby Toaster with 2 childseats in the back and various Happy Meal toys scattered about, yet be able to kill a 'Stang at a stoplight on my way to get groceries.

6. AWD_PWNZ

AWD_PWNZ New Member

Post pictures!

7. Andrew

Andrew New Member

what does a STI conversion cost these days?

8. techy101

techy101 Well-Known Member

:needpics:

9. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

it looks just like yours.... ONLY FASTER... ha ha ha ^^^^ so take a pic of your car and post it up for an example

10. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

Couldnt have been said any better.... im a new dad and im diggin the mustang beatin family mobile...

11. tetsusan

tetsusan New Member

I'll take some pics over the weekend and post them. If you shop around the various boards, especially IWSTI.com, and watch the junk yards (car-part.com), good parts can be had cheap.
    Roughly;
    - Low mileage VF39 $350-$450
    - STi Intercooler (Incl. bypass valve, hoses, etc.) $150-$250
    - '04 STi ECU $100
    - Axle-back STi exhaust $75-$125
    - Uppipe $50 for a used catless stock one to $100 for a decent new one
    - Downpipe - I paid $60 for my used Godspeed downpipe

Factor in selling off my original parts that were replaced with STi parts, may be I can get $250, the overall project budget becomes doable. The real difficulty lies in how to do this and keep it undetected by the wife... "Hmm, yeah honey, the Suby does seem to be faster... Umm, must be cause I put in a new air filter". :)

12. tetsusan

tetsusan New Member

Some pics..

[​IMG]
    Unassuming family car...

[​IMG]
    STi beastie within

[​IMG]
    VF39 with Godspeed downpipe

[​IMG]