FOZ XT Whistle sound

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by fozsti, Jan 7, 2010.

1. fozsti

fozsti New Member

on my 08 XT when i start it i hear a faint whistle sound (especially on really cold days like this week) coming from somewhere in the engine area. I havent opened the hood to try and pin point specifically from where but it doesnt seem to be emanating from the turbo side and it doesnt seem to be the turbo making the sound
    The sound also occurs when I am driving and when the revs are at say 2300 or 2400 and i let go off the throttle and the revs hit 2000. Its repeatable on very cold days at that 2K rev in whatever gear I may be in (5MT)\

The whistle is the kind you would make when sucking air into your mouth instead of the whistle you would make when pushing air out....really wierd. Its a light whistle and not obnoxiously loud either, just enough to hear it with the radio off.

Any clues before i schedule a dealer appointment?:eek4:

2. goodhart

goodhart Well-Known Member

EDITED by MOD: Because some people never know what to write.

3. fozsti

fozsti New Member

hose clamp on intake assembly perhaps, if it gets any warmer anytime this millennium i'll check it out

Also when i left the car parked outside for a week when i was out of town and came back and started it one of the belts made some loud noise till the car warmed up. That only happened once and since ive been parking indoors I havent heard it since.

Since i only got 51K on it i doubt its the timing belt, but maybe an accessory belt.

4. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

..... is it the turbo?

lol

Seriously tho. It could be. Mine is definitely more noticeable in this weather.

5. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

turbo spool noise (the whistle) is louder with cold air.

6. fozsti

fozsti New Member

no seriously the turbo spool noise is separate and more of a whoosh than a whistle. having 3 turbo subaru's i know the spool sound well.

and the foz turbo is barely audible until 3K at least when stock, while this sound is around 2K when i let off the throttle not when i get on it.

7. Little GS

Little GS Member

Possibley exhaust Manifold gasket. That's my guess.

8. STiM

STiM Well-Known Member

Iv been getting that faint whistle too, on my 04 FXT. But it seems to be just on cold starts, and just for the first 2 mins of idling.

I guess i really dont know, but the turbo shouldnt spool under idle, so it shouldnt be that.

Anyone else experience this?