Front license plates in mn....

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Tdagen, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

I have recently heard that we no longer need to have a front license plate...? This would be great since I just installed a fmic :biggrin: but I have my doubts... Does anyone know anything about this... Legal , not legal what's up? Btw I don't feel pike being pulled over anymore than I already am either.....;)

2. LEGGY_WARRIOR13

LEGGY_WARRIOR13 New Member

I haven't had mine on since a snow bank so graciously removes it for me haha and I've passes countless police since then, and the trooper today didn't say anything about it but maybe they just have been cool about it or what.

Sent from my Droid

3. 2.5SubieRS

2.5SubieRS Well-Known Member

Last time I heard anything about this was that minnesota is a two license plate state. I've gotten pulled over for just having it bent backwards.

4. LEGGY_WARRIOR13

http://www.dmv.org/mn-minnesota/license-plates.php
    Unofficial guide so it could be outdated or just wrong.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/PlBrochure/PlateFrame.htm
    Official DMV regulation it's towards the bottom.

Sent from my Droid

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I bought my car at 7 pm on a sunday night with no front plate on it. Monday morning I woke up to go to the DMV and there was a ticket on the windshield for no front plate. It was literally 6 hours after I bought my car. $109. So, if you park on the street (ever), I would not recommend going without one. I have seen people put them in their windshield on the dash before, I dunno if that would fly where I am, since they are apparently on top of their game.

I ended up getting an appointment with a hearing officer and got the ticket dropped (yay) by showing them the purchase record and a picture of the car with a front plate on it.

6. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Anyone who has gotten in trouble for the front plate was it this year (2010)?

7. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

there was legislation introduced some time last year, but i never heard that it went anywhere

8. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

[​IMG]

From whom? Let me check

well I found this: http://www.petitiononline.com/mnplate/petition.html
    and this: http://www.dmv.org/mn-minnesota/license-plates.php
    and that one says

So until this page is updated with information stating that the plate is no longer required, or we hear something about it (it would be big enough news to end up in the strib or on the nightly news) - I think it's a really bad idea to not use a plate on the front... of course you can do what you want, but I'm sure you'll get in trouble for it eventually :)

9. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

AWESOME! When I'm done with the Datsun I don't need a front plate!!! w00t

Also, LOL at the online petition. Those things are almost counter productive. Even if you put in tons of effort to get 10000000's of signatures on one, the people you send them to simply laugh at them and continue on as they were.

10. goodhart

goodhart Well-Known Member

+1

Also, putting your front plate on the dash is not legal, if anything, the officer could hit you for obstruction of view. I have been warned about my parking pass that hangs about 1/2" below my rear view mirror, so I can imagine they could warn/ticket you for having the front plate on your dash.

11. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Yep it was like a month ago

12. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Well I know that DMV info site is at least 3 years old a collector plate is for cars 25 years old , ie 1975 not 1972 like stated above...

But I'm still thinking it is illegal myself....

13. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

readymix, Datsun details please.

14. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Well, those were the first things that came up in a google search. If it were not illegal, it would have come up first. And again, we'd have heard about it, plus we'd see tons of cars without front plates, and nobody with them in their windows. I haven't seen that yet. I did see a wrx at the meet the other day that did not have a front plate, but I didn't say anything.

better safe than sorry in this case, if you told a cop "I thought they weren't required anymore" - you'll have to be a good BS artist, or a girl who can act like a complete dolt when necessary. They will likely laugh either way and still hand you a ticket.

15. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

No, 1972 is a rigid year that does not change. It was 1972 when I was driving a 1966 Impala back in 1998. Twelve years later and that date has not changed.

16. LEGGY_WARRIOR13

Second that.

Sent from my Droid

17. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

you sure, i always thought you could get collector plates when your car hit 20 years old. This seems to back me up.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/PlBrochure/Collector.htm

For only having a one plate, not sure that date but would not be surprised if that was rigid. I had a 66 beetle quite a few years ago. It didn't come with seat belts and I wasn't required to add them as it was manufactured without them.

Edit...
    ok found this '75 and earlier for 1 plate, unless you have a special plate.

Most Minnesota vehicles, including cars, pickups and other trucks, and buses, require two license plates to be displayed?one in the front and one in the back of the vehicle.

Some vehicles in Minnesota, such as motorcycles, mopeds, and dealer cars, as well as trailers, require only one rear-displayed license plate. Other vehicles that may display only a rear license plate include the following:

Model 1972 or earlier vehicles that are used for regular driving
    Vehicles defined as "pioneer, classic, or street rod" that are used for regular driving
    Vehicles registered as "pioneer, classic car, collector, or street rod"

18. asujosh1

asujosh1 Member

nevermind...

19. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I should have specified for regular driving. Since I drove the car daily, it follows a different set of rules compared to cars specified as classic or collector vehicles.

20. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

This is why I wanna run no front plate, I need all the cool airflow I can get!! Lol!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

pretty sure its still required by law to have 2 plates. a friend of mine got pulled over and warned for not having one on the front of his cummins

22. issues

issues Well-Known Member

its only a 60 dollar ticket or free "the car wash ripped it off im waiting for the bracket" but 2hrs of your life in the court house is well worth 60$lol

23. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Btw that's the chimera performance twinscroll setup right there !

24. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Single Plate Issue

Back display - A single license plate is issued to the following vehicles for display on the back of the vehicle.

* trailers
    * motorcycles
    * mopeds
    * dealer and dealer in transit vehicles
    * The owner of the vehicle may elect to display only one plate on the back of the vehicle in the following situations (Minnesota Statute 169.79, subd.4):
    o the vehicle model year is 1972 or earlier, and the vehicle is used for general transportation
    o the vehicle is used for general transportation and meets the definition of a pioneer, classic, or street rod vehicle (Minnesota Statute 168.10)
    o the vehicle is registered in one of the collector classes (pioneer, classic car, collector, street rod)

Front display - A single license plate is issued to the following vehicles for display on the front of the vehicle.

* tractors and truck-tractors, used in tractor-trailer combinations
    * farm class vehicles, 20 model years or older

Double Plate Issue

All other vehicles are issued double plates to display on the front and back of the vehicle. This includes cars, vans, pickups, trucks, and busses.

25. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

When you get plates, they give you two. It would seem to me that if only one was required, you would receive just one. Pretty simple logic.

26. snwbdr94

snwbdr94 Well-Known Member

in savage I was pulled over couple months ago, he ended up giving me a warning but said if he saw me again he'd write me up... Yeah I try and stay out of savage now :p

27. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Yeah I figured it was illegal... I don't have any mounting points on my front bumper, I could leave it off and go with that excuse ... Or I can try and mount the damn thing in front of the fmic and live with it no big deal I guess...

28. JasonoJordan

what i dont get is why they cant go 2 a smaller plate..or do away with it all 2 geather in the front. other then traffic camera tickets(dont think they do this in mn anymore) and when u meet a patrol and u run i see no point in the front plate.

29. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

LIDAR also uses the front plate. (actually pretty much anything reflective)

30. MCXL

MCXL Well-Known Member

I do wish you could opt for European style front plates (long skinny), although unless your FMIC is WAY far forward (like where the plate would actually rest on the FMIC), a front plate isn't gonna hurt your airflow very much at all.

If you really must mount your front plate off away from your IC, couldn't you get a tow hook plate frame made?

31. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

^ I've got a zerosports replica body kit with no tow hook hole and no mounting points for a plate... I have a thick flattened & expanded metal price I put in the bumper and had the plate mounted there but the fmic took up that space... The fmic is 3 1/2 inch thick so ot is pretty far forward IMO... I probably will make some sort of stupid mounting bracket or try and hang my black flatened expanded again... I could suction cup the plate inside on the winshield but I don't like the looks of that much at all...

32. asujosh1

asujosh1 Member

33. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

^ that's pretty nice! If I could mount it a little different it could work . I think my car sits to low to run it on the bottom like that , I already scrape on stuff if not extremely careful as it sits lol...

34. asujosh1

asujosh1 Member

You can mount it wherever, he had his above the opening in the front bumper.

35. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

this is what i can find

36. RumblelikeaBoxer

RumblelikeaBoxer Well-Known Member

37. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I am sure it died, probably in the senate or the governor vetoed it. Its still state law to have your front licesnse plate and its also required to have it mounted on the front bumper, in plain sight.

38. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

39. Weird0

Weird0 Well-Known Member

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Boost for boobs 009.JPG

LeoTheLion89, Nhibbs and tehfuzz like this.
  40. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

From what I've heard 3M plays a big part in mn keeping the 2 plate law. They make the film that covers them and helps police see them. they also have the money to keep it that way.

41. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Front plates also make great targets for laser speed detection. :grumpy:

Nhibbs and tehfuzz like this.
  42. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Just a couple days ago I met a blacked-out Dodge Charger belonging to the Eden Prairie police (including push bars and spot light) and it was sporting its front plate...on the dash. Made me smile.

tehfuzz, Nhibbs and Ryan FailRad like this.
  43. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I haven't had my front plate for 2 years here. Only one parking ticket and I park on the street at my house and none since I started throwing the plate on the dash when I park.
    It obviously depends on where you live though.
    I've been pulled over a handful of times (twice in the last month) and they never say anything about the plate. Got warnings for speed both times too thank god ;)

T_riggidy likes this.
  44. JasonoJordan

Only tickets I got for no front plate in the 6 years combined of no front plate on the Wrx and the brz were both from parking enforcement. Ziptied the lic plate on took it down to the court house and they threw out the ticket both times

Nhibbs and tehfuzz like this.
  45. LeoTheLion89

LeoTheLion89 New Member

I have actually been in contact with the Minnesota DVS and asked about this vary topic here is what they said
    So there you have it. I have replied about what happened to the MN House eliminating the front plate and am waiting for a replay.

dang0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.