FS thread idea

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by gran0393, Jul 12, 2013.

1. gran0393

gran0393 Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to get a FS or WTB thread for LGT parts? I know I tend to look at more legacy specific forums to buy stuff just because it is a hassle to dig through all of the Impreza stuff to find good legacy parts. On top of that there is a growing LGT population on this forum whom I'd assume would appreciate it as well...just an idea

2. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm interested in brat and justy parts... Special section for those too???

3. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Way to make a guys honest question thread and **** all over it with your sarcasm...good morning to you too....

For an honest answer I would say it may not happen for quite a while, I dont think we get enough FS or WTB threads to make this a necessity yet.
    Just my .02

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Not to mention, most of the mechanical parts crossover to other Subaru platforms. I don't know how mods work with XenForo forums, that's Russ' specialty. With other forums, I was able to add odd fields and other assorted things to the new thread system. They may have a mod that lets you put a header (like my350z.com does in the wheels for sale section where you can put the size before the FS thread) but again, Russ will have to look into that.
    For now, it doesn't seem like it would make much difference. There are few LGT FS threads, and then a smaller contingent of them are LGT ONLY parts, and then you have to factor in human error (which runs high around here) and that the user may forget to check the "LGT" box when starting the thread. I forsee something like this getting used 4 times a year.

5. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I would think it would be a good idea if this forum was more populated. As of now, we don't get a ton of new threads. For me searching works as long as people write good threads.

6. turkeylord

turkeylord Well-Known Member

It would be nice if the Impreza guys at least put their model in the ad titles... I'm always getting burned by some ***AWESOME PARTS FOR AN '05 WAGON*** thread and then it's Impreza stuffs...

7. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Not to rag on you but the statistics of legacys to imprezas on this forum should be a big clue. Additionally, there are a lot fewer trashed (blown, crashed, rolled, or modded) legacys than imprezas mainly because of the target market of the two models.

8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

As for a new forum, no. I can create thread icons that you could use to label the threads for impreza and legacy parts, but like Readymix already stated most of them are interchangeable and the original poster has to make sure they check the correct box. I think user error is the key. People could currently include legacy or impreza in the thread title, but they don't. people could include a much better description of what the item is, but they don't. People could actually put threads in the correct forums, but they don't. As it is now, I probably move 2-3 threads a day to the correct forums, and that is just me, not the whole mod staff.

Russ

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm....

Curry likes this.
  10. gran0393

gran0393 Well-Known Member

I get the point about how subarus are basically legos and parts swap over and everything, it was just an idea. Another thing I was thinking is if there was a way to organize the FS section a bit more. For example make a sub section for certain sections of parts like suspension, engine, interior/exterior and wheels.

11. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

We simply don't have the traffic for that. You're going to have a bunch of categories with 0-2 active items at any given time. NASIOC can use all the subforums because they have a billion active listings at any given time. As Russ already mentioned, we'd also be looking at moving every second or third thread due to miscat.

I think the most viable idea is actually enforcing proper ad listings and deleting them when people smash their face against the keyboard instead of actually thinking about what they're doing. But frankly, I don't think anyone on the mod team feels like touching every single post to make that happen, which is realistically what we'd be looking at given current user patterns with FS threads.

LegacyGT.com manages to pull that off, but not without a non-trivial amount of mod effort.

Contrast that to just using either the builtin search or google search with a "site:mnsubaru.com" argument.

12. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

How about just a sticked thread, "Legacy Parts" at the top of the FS: Parts section, that people can add links to their FS threads.
    It works quite well in the motorsports section over on nasioc.

13. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Meta-threads? I could see that.