Fuel Smell Problem Recalled! 02 - 03

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by TjDunklee, Dec 18, 2009.

1. TjDunklee

TjDunklee Well-Known Member

Hey everybody, just wanted to let you know that Subaru finally did a recall for the Fuel Smell problem in the 02-03 Subaru WRX vehicles. I can't believe that it took this long, but hats off to Subaru for finally admitting the problem. Here is a copy of the email they just sent me.

*--- Subaru Email ---*

Subaru Recall Campaign WVK-21

Dear Subaru Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Subaru of America, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2002 & 2003 model year Subaru WRX vehicles that are currently registered in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY DEFECT
    Subaru has determined that in extremely cold outside temperatures, fuel seepage can occur from a fuel delivery line.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY HAZARD
    The affected fuel line is located under the engine intake manifold. Especially during engine start-up in cold temperatures, fuel may seep around the seals between the metal fuel line and the rubber hose. Fuel leakage, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire.

REPAIRS
    To correct this condition, Subaru will replace the fuel line and hose with a later production version that has a longer rubber hose segment.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
    You should immediately contact your Subaru dealer for an appointment to have the fuel line replaced. Please tell the dealer if you have noticed any smell of gasoline in the past when starting up in cold weather.

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?
    The actual time to replace the fuel line is approximately 2 1/2 hours. This will typically make it necessary for you to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer some flexibility in scheduling and completing the repair.

IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR
    In the event that you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Reimbursement consideration will be based on the amount an authorized Subaru dealer in your area would charge for replacement of the fuel line and hose. Please send the original service repair order, which has complete information including the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete vehicle identification number (17 digits), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

** Subaru of America's information**

Customer Service: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Thursday
    10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (EST) Friday

Written correspondence can be sent to:

Subaru of America, Inc.
    Subaru Plaza
    P.O. Box 6000
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000
    Attn: Customer/Dealer Services

2. mplspilot

mplspilot New Member

3. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

awesome, i just called Morries and they said its not covered

4. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

Can the dealership duplicate paperwork if this was work was performed last year? I doubt I will be able to find the paperwork.

5. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

Yes we probably can. I'll look for ya

6. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

Cool, Should I keep holding for you, then? :p Your on-hold music is awesome.

7. jamusix

jamusix Well-Known Member

I thought this was recalled last winter?!?! I saw quite a bit of discussion about this in the "Gas Leak - What?!?!" stickied thread.

8. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Pretty sure it was a TSB until now.

For those wanting more information or wondering if this applies to you, please see this thread:
    http://mnsubaru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29799&highlight=fuel+recall

9. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with SOA, and they said they have to look into it more and find out why my Vin is not included in the recall.

**edit** This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Subaru of America, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2002 & 2003 model year Subaru WRX vehicles that are currently registered in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin and Wyoming. My car was registered in Illinois. This could be why. Now that I updated my info, I can only imagine that I'm covered.

10. TjDunklee

Oh man, I hope they will cover you know Tony! That would be just plain dumb if they didn't.

Thanks for the link to the problem! You are right, it was a TSB for a long time and now they finally did a full recall.

11. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

Im on hold again with SOA. I think theres only 2 people that work in their call center

12. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

OK, Im on the list! SOA called me back and said they entered my VIN into the system and I can go get it fixed. :)

13. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

good news!

14. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

Bringing my car in on Monday.

Thanks for posting this info.

15. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

seriously this is only for WRXs?

16. TjDunklee

I'm glad you got it worked out Tony!

17. LASERBLUE135

LASERBLUE135 Well-Known Member

I called, I am NOT covered...they told me to make an appointment and they will "see what we can do". So that's what I've gotta do.

18. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

why are you not covered?

19. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this covers any of the other 02-03 Subarus? My friend has a 02 2.5TS and it has this problem.

20. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

My 02 TS does as well. It's pretty lame that it only applies to the WRX.

21. LASERBLUE135

I'm not sure, they said my vin# does not return "any current recalls". I'm still calling dealers in the morning and giving them my vin to see if any will have better news. If they can't say for sure if I'm covered, then I will have to pay to get the smell looked at. If the dealer determines that the problem is along the lines of the recall, then I have to contact SOA again (they gave me a claim#) and they will "see what they can do" if they determine that the recall affected my car they will "possibly reimburse me" for the charges of the dealer looking at the vehicle and will most likely cover the cost of the fix.

EDIT: Called the dealer, they insisted that my car (vin#) should not be affected. They stated that the fuel smell on my particular car should be fixable by tightening some "clamps" and that it is very easy and inexpensive, and also VERY COMMON.

22. 4drcivicmaster

4drcivicmaster Well-Known Member

yes! i got the letter in the mail today. they are gonna fix it in my 03 wrx.

23. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

Yep, I just got my letter today too for my 03. So far I haven't noticed any gas smell on my car, but it never sits outside overnight either.

24. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

just dropped mine off at morries. Done and done. Now I can sell it. lol

25. mrantegra

mrantegra Well-Known Member

I don't smell anything in mine. If I am cover, should I get it done anyway?? 02 wrx

26. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

For anyone who has the fuel smell, and for now IS NOT COVERED... just wait. After the "upper 16 states" get taken care of, the remaining 34 will also be sent letters. It seems that it has gone by the current known location of the car in Subaru's information. If your car isn't up to date in their info, then that's why they don't know where the car is currently located.

Plan on dropping your cars off, as it takes longer than 2.5hrs to do (as most of your parts are going to be dry rotted, hardened, and not willing to cooperate).

27. 4drcivicmaster

well mine was smelling pretty bad. it wouldn't happen every morning but i could say it was atleast a third of the times.

28. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

got my letter today as well.!! w00t.

29. egan_gt

egan_gt Active Member

Got my recall in the mail last night. Im gonna kinda miss that fresh smell of gasoline in the morning!

30. 4drcivicmaster

word. my girlfriend hates it.

31. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Subaru is only releasing the parts for these recalls on a PER VIN basis, that means the parts will need to get ordered FOR YOUR CAR, we dont have a stock pile of these recalls lying around, we have to order PER VEHICLE!

32. ofspunk7

^ I added your post to the 1st page so people will see it right away!

33. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

Hey Erik, can you tell me if my car is done yet? lol j/k, just dont steal my light bar.

34. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Nah, I want a lightbar that is much more mint, not your doo doo bar. :laugh:

35. ofspunk7

i think he is looking for the 4 mount light bar. Tony's only mounts in two places.

36. Platinum Coan

Platinum Coan Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow. I ordered the parts for this, they arrived on Friday, and I was this close to fixing it last weekend but got caught up working on the SVX instead. I can't believe the timing of this lol...

So assuming I'm covered, I wonder if Subaru would reimburse me for all of the parts that I just ordered for this (from subarugenuineparts.com last week) and then do the repair for me using the parts I ordered?

37. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Wow...how timely :rolleyes:

38. Mekhem

Mekhem Well-Known Member

I figure you guys are getting pinged pretty hard about this, but I have a question about the "current know location".

Would recent service done at your dealership count?

Thx

39. ChubbyRacing

ChubbyRacing Well-Known Member

I wish I lived closer to the cities cause I just don't really trust the dealership up in Duluth... Maybe I will just make a day trip of it to get it fixed at Morries! Can I do that?

40. 4drcivicmaster

Same way I feel about Rochester clements....

41. LASERBLUE135

OK, I got some better information today from folks who sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

The RECALL is for 02-03 wrx ORIGINALLY PURCHASED/TITLED in the "cold weather" states. If your car was not originally purchased in the cold weather states, the RECALL is NOT for your car because the recall is based on the amount of time that the fuel lines have been subject to cold weather over the years. If your car was purchased in Florida, they ASSUME that the car was in warm weather for some considerable time even if you moved up to Montana.

If your car (like mine) was purchased in a NON-"cold weather" state and is now experiencing the fuel problem (I'm in a "cold weather" state now; Minnesota), they will consider issuing an "EXTENDED WARRANTY" coverage that will get the problem fixed. I talked to SOA and the dealer today and they are going to look at my car and find a solution to the problem on a case by case basis AT THIS TIME. I'm expecting a resolution by the end of the day.

government info on recall
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

42. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Grrr...
    Mine was originally purchased (one previous owner) in FL or TX. I can't remember which.
    I'ts been in my Yankee hands since 9/30/02 though...hopefully I won't have to wait too long...

43. LASERBLUE135

update: Found out my car was originally purchased in Texas. I went back and forth with SOA and the dealer today and I am now covered. The dealer determined that my fuel lines are leaking and SOA told them to go ahead with the repairs. They ordered a set of parts and when they come in, I'm all set!

For those who are concerned about CURRENTLY not being covered I got word that the recall "should" got into full affect in January. So if you don't want to do the back and forth and have patients it should be settled then.

44. ofspunk7

I don't see why they wouldn't let you. Why don't you give them a call and set it up.

45. headrush

headrush Well-Known Member

seriously it's about time