Fuel Smell Problem Recalled! 02 - 03

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by TjDunklee, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ChubbyRacing

ChubbyRacing Well-Known Member

So could someone go to the dealership with their vin # and all the other info and get the parts ordered and replace it themselves? I would prefer doing that if I could... I just don't trust the dealership in Duluth...

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

dealership in duluth is a frickin joke. so now that this is a recal does that mean they are doing this for free? i know for awhile it was hit or miss if a dealership would do it for free or not. mine is starting 2 smell again it stoped for awhile now it started again.

3. ChubbyRacing

ChubbyRacing Well-Known Member

Yes it is free

4. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

got our recall notice yesterday...just have to make the appointment now.

5. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

do you need to wait for a recal notice or can you go in at any time?

6. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

^^dunno, they had to be sure (morries) that they had to parts in to fix.

7. Peodi

Peodi Well-Known Member

Got a check from Subaru today refunding the money I had previously paid to get this fixed! Karma points to Subaru for being so good about this issue (finally).

8. Glock_Turbo

Glock_Turbo Well-Known Member

I thought it was just my octane booster! till I got the letter. and realized that the smell occured during that cold freezing week.

9. Glock_Turbo

Glock_Turbo Well-Known Member

according to any recall, it should be free, because it's their mistake. haven't brought mine in yet, but i'll be having a fit if they try to charge me! brought my truck in for a recall at Ford, and they even gave me a free rental. I'll try whitebear suaru if they'll be better then your duluth.:laugh:

10. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

When did you submit the paperwork? I;m still waiting for mine.

11. Peodi

Peodi Well-Known Member

Can't remember exactly, but I got my letter shortly after they started sending them out so I think it was about 4 weeks.

12. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

*** READ THIS IF YOU MAILED IN YOUR PAPERWORK***

I called the 800 number on the letter yesterday to see if they were processing the claim and the lady that I talked to (who was super nice) said that they've received thousands of them and don't even have them all open yet. I asked her if I could scan and E-mail the documents and she said that would speed it up. She sent one to me and I replied with the PDF attachment. Later that day I got this reply:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. with your inquiry.

As we discussed on the telephone today, 2/09/10, please scan and attach your completed repair paperwork, inclusive of all part numbers, diagnosis, and proof of payment to a reply to this email.

I will follow up with you via email to confirm receipt of your documents.

I will then review your documentation with claims to determine what reimbursement you may be entitled to under the terms of the WVLK campaign.

In a best case scenario, claims review should take 1-2 business days and reimbursement should be mailed out by Thu. 2/18 at the latest.

If you have further questions, please reply to this message. Thank you for this opportunity to be of service.

13. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Got my "fix" last month...thought I smelled fuel again last night, opened the hood when I got home, and sure enough, it smelled like fuel under there...I'm not very happy...shoulda just fixed it myself in the first place.

14. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Diagnosed the problem today...the "mechanics" at a certain TC dealership didn't bother to tighten the main line coming off the fuel filter...I could have pulled it off with my thumb and two fingers!!!
    There is another line that has reside on it, but it feels tight, and has a spring tight clamp...is that residue perhaps something they put on there to lube the clamp to get it on?
    Anything else I should check that they might have F'd up during the "fix"?
    The one that was super loose:
    http://[​IMG]

The one that has residue, but doesn't seem loose:
    [​IMG]

After attempting to tighten the loose clamp, it appears the wrong size hose and clamps were used...

15. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Yes, for those of you who are covered! What about my 04 STI?! Damn you, Subaru!

16. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Just had my recall done. Shiny!

17. blackozone

Kickass! Mine came back with a vacuum leak too!

18. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

chevrolet ftl.

19. blackozone

You have no idea. When I called in today to inform the service writer that I have an audible vacuum leak and 4 CEL codes, he told me that they won't be held responsible if it was because of 7 missing bolts from the GBODs around my fuel rails. I told him that those bolts don't have anything to do with the intake/vacuum system and he tried to argue that it might and they won't be responsible; but they'll take a look regardless. LOL: Stupid service writer, Subaru's aren't Chevy's!

20. puzder

puzder New Member

Heh.

I bought the 02 WRX when I was living in Calif. in 2001. I moved to Missouri in 2002 and started noticing the fuel smell in cold weather (never got cold enough in Calif.) Subaru fixed it under warranty recall in 2002. Interesting that they are reissuing the recall.

I also had the A/C system on the 02 WRX rebuilt because the thermostat was not in the correct location and it was causing havoc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 02 WRX and Subaru really took care of issues like this, but its the last time I'll buy a car right after its released!

21. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

So we're getting this issue on our 02 RS, but it's not covered by the recall. What are my options?

22. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

PM driftin240 or subytek.

23. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

You (or someone else) can try tightening the clamps or replace the lines. Check out the link in post #8 of this thread.

24. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

remove the AC compressor to gain access to the fuel lines that cause the most problem. You can just tighten these clamps up, but I would recommend replacing the rubber line with some ac delco high pressure fuel line from your nearest parts store. This has an inner liner and should fit more snugly than regular fuel line. be sure to get a piece that is long enough - they let me have a scrap piece for free. Then remove the rubber line that is about 4" long - you may have to bend the metal line to do so. Also, heat and lubrication helps. Replace with new line and new fuel clamps - get specific fuel clamps because you don't want to pinch or leave a gap in your clamps/fuel line.

25. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

The 03 Wrx motor in my 02 2.5RS is leaking there now. Is it still order parts on a per VIN basis or can I order it w/o VIN and install it myself? Its leaking really bad since it got cold out.

26. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

edit... reread...

$34.53 and we have to order it. Its the fuel rail kit to complete the recall. Its no longer by VIN ordering

27. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Is there a part number for the kit? Ill probably order it from Miller Hill as they deliver to the shop often.

28. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Incase anyone else has a Wrx motor swap and can't get this fixed for free here is the part number for the kit. 10130AA000

29. svxninja

svxninja Well-Known Member

I have a hybrid, will still be covered? Didn't notice much till my co-worker hooped in and said he smelt it

30. Bielke55

The recall is only covered by VIN number.

31. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Only for 02-03 though? Cuz my 05 started to smell last night for the first time

32. Bielke55

Yes only 02 and 03 WRX's

33. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

that sucks, how much is the kit then?

34. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I can hardly wait for the really cold weather to hit this season to see if our effing Outback smells again. How hard is it to make GD fuel lines that don't leak when it gets cold...on a car designed for cold weather!

35. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

If it's by VIN would my V7 swapped '02 wagon be covered? I foolishly didn't swap the lines when I had it apart. Same rail design as the '02 WRX. :oops: I honestly don't think it will be covered but I figured I would ask.

36. Bielke55

$34.53 for kit with MNSUBARU Pricing.

I guess it depends on the dealership, tech and advisor. If you VIN says you can do then Subaru may or may not catch it.

37. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Not trying to pull a fast one. Is this unethical? Need a 2nd opinion. Is it a worldwide recall? 8)

38. svxninja

I called and they said to call back in the middle of Jan. for the control arm recall but nothing about the fuel smell, interesting

39. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

I don't think its unethical, it was their mistake and a major safety issue. But like any company they will look for any reason they can NOT to cover it and save a buck.

40. scrubaru

scrubaru Member

Have any of you heard about this on an 04 sti?

41. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yes, but it's not covered under recall. Sounds like the parts to fix it are around $40.

42. scrubaru

scrubaru Member

Oh kk sounds good and you get those at the dealer?

43. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yep, contact Morries Minnetonka. I believe that they will need to order it for you.

44. svxninja

I still need to bring mine in for a recall, I don't think they will have a line?

45. Moto

Moto Active Member