Fuji's Journal: GF8F5SD Project

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by FuJi K, Jan 11, 2009.

1. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It’s just a wagon I tell everyone. It definitely looks like a wagon, but does more than what it looks. It has these fancy brakes, an extra gear to roll through, and that awesome whistle sound from the engine. You’d look twice two finally notice the brakes peeking at you from behind the wheels. The journey has been quite adventurous.

[​IMG]
    My parents bought me this little wagon for college but it became more than a college car. We signed papers on Jan 13th of ’04 and I got to see her the next afternoon when I got off school during my senior year in High School. She was all nice and washed, black, and very stock. I started to modify the car because I wanted to make it better than it was. First thing that came off was the intake silencer, and then a catback went on, followed by a custom rear sway bar. These small modifications really made a difference in feel. This is what really got me into modifying.

Things got interesting as I stepped further into modifying. My brother got a rear PowerTrax for his truck and I was wondering how my little AWD Subie would fair with a locked rear diff. SO I welded it and that’s where the fun began! I could do donuts, and slide in the snow, and have SO MUCH fun around corners. I then read more about Limited Slip Differentials and how they all help transform the car into a totally different animal! I broke my tranny so I replaced with with a ’00 RS tranny and rear VLSD. This wasn’t as fun as the welded rear diff, but will do well until the next adventurous project.

Eventually enough playing around and I had an engine failure, which then started with the power hunger. I swapped out my stock EJ22E shortblock for an EJ22T I picked up from the local UPULL. Dropped that in and OMG the power loss. I was getting the same gas mileage but with less power. Even my friends Impreza Outback Sport could walk me frumrol. I happen to come across another COMPLETE EJ22T swap from the same UPULL yard and decided to swap that in. It was a success with the help of Garage Tuning merging my harness and making it work for me.
    [​IMG]

It took 9 months before I got my car back up and running. I bought close to almost every modification there was for this swap. I replaced the turbo with a WRX TD04L, added a WRX TMIC with a Perrin BOV, full exhaust system, a TurboXS fuel cut defender and manual boost controller, and also a boost gauge to see how much boost. A lot of the time was lost because I tried to merge the harness myself. Finally after getting a properly merged harness from Garage Tuning, she started right up on the 5th or so crank because my cam sensor was loose. I was SO HAPPY. I told my mom about it when I ran into the house and also shed a tear. I still remember that day.
    [​IMG]

Later came the opportunity to jump to new heights. A friend was doing the SAME EJ22T swap in his OBS. His harness was also messed up by someone else merging it for him. I offered him that IF he was able to find me a USDM WRX engine and harness, I would hand over my harness in exchange. That SAME day he was able to do that. A local member had a complete harness with a little damage, and someone had semi-complete WRX longblock. Knowing that we had something good going I went ahead to take apart my dash once again to rip out the merged harness. What was ironic was that I took out the harness the SAME DAY the year before starting the project. I was to run this WRX swap with me EJ22T shortblock.

The USDM WRX swap really was a good move. People really don’t want to spend the money for a WRX swap but they really are holding themselves back from a whole new ballgame. The MOST important point is that the ECU is supported by a handful of software. You don’t have to worry about going far places to get your car tuned to run the setup you want. Going USDM WRX swap is like jumping from like Windows 95 to Windows XP Professional. Also there is a lot more parts available for the WRX so upgrades are plenty. Turbos, intercoolers, exhaust systems, engine parts, you name it there is something out there for it. You open yourself to MORE opportunities.

[​IMG]

I ended up with settling with a very fun street car. The turbo I choose was SlowBoyRacing’s TD05H EVO3-16G-8cm^2. This would get me a good darn close if not already 300whp on pump gas. It near did get close at 285whp running 20psi up top peaking 23psi midrange running on BP 92oct petrol. On a DynoJet I’m more than likely to see 320whp but we’ll just stick to the Mustang Dyno numbers. I ran the same headerback exhaust as I did on the EJ22T swap. I also ported the intake ports of the heads so it’ll flow closer to the JDM heads. I also modified the stock fuel injectors and made them squirt almost double the flow at 826cc-834cc! An upgraded fuel pump was needed and I chose the Walbro highflow 255lph one, which was a simple bolt-on part.
    [​IMG]

With the power, there was a weak link. Almost everyone knows Subaru’s 5speed tranny will not stand up to the massive power output that many wants. The trannys are known to shatter like glass. I broke the 2.5RS tranny with the EJ22T swap doing a WOT pull in 2nd gear at 3600rpms. The Spare ’93 Legacy AWD 5spd tranny broke doing hiway pulls after the dyno tune from Jorge with P&L Motorsports. The hybrid OBS tranny broke after doing hard shifting into 2nd gear. I had to bite the bullet and get the STi 6spd. I took out a loan from the bank and purchased myself a JDM STi DCCD 6spd transmission kit with Brembo brakes. I can’t tell you how HAPPY I am with this transmission. I can drive hard without having to worry about a gear shredding its teeth.
    [​IMG]

Now we can’t forget what holds the car up. Before when I started to get into cars, I read a lot on vehicle dynamics and handling from an online website called TurnFast.com. This helped me zero in on what I wanted. Sony Playstation’s Gran Turismo 2 & 3 played a HUGE role in suspension tuning and seeing the results from different changes. It’s a simulator and it does it quite well. I went with BC Racing coilovers running 8kg/mm springs all around; 448lbs/inch. The coilovers will be replaced with a new set of BC Racing coilovers running revalved dampers with 12kg/mm springs; 672lb/inch. This coupled with WRX 20mm sway bars front to rear. I also made a rear strut brace from some stainless steel tubes and steel plates. The strut brace is a lot stronger than anything out there I’ve seen. The front has jNorth’s machined fender braces.
    [​IMG]

Every major modification holds another adventure. There is always something new learned when a new modification is added. There are also struggles with some but in the end you learn from it and improve greatly. It’s a fun experience all the way through. I am always left with a grin on my face after having on the modification right and feeling the difference it makes when I’m testing it. There will always be R&D.

2. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Modifications on-hand for next setup:
    -CP Pistons 9.0:1
    -JDM 12mm oil pump
    -'06 WRX swap w/ ECU/harness/heads/TGVs
    -'05 Legacy NA Intake manifold
    -'06 STi Intake manifold (break-in use)
    -JDM Legacy 2.0R NA headers (will be custom for twinscroll T3 divided flange)
    -double cross-drilled WRX 2.0L crank - rotated balanced
    -Cosworth rod/main bearings (size1 on mains, size2 on rods)
    -Eagle Rods (comes with ARP2000 rod bolts) - weight balanced
    -Crower Valve springs and Ti Retainers
    -ARP Block case bolts

Planned Modifications:
    -272* Kelford cams (in the spring)
    -FMIC rotated intake manifold Blow Through MAF
    -Bosch 1000cc injectors
    -BOSCH inline fuel pump
    -SARD 0-100psi fuel pressure regulator or AEM?
    -BC Racing Coilovers custom revalved dampers w/ 12kg/mm springs
    -BRONZE 5Zigen FN01R-C 17x9 +35 (114.3x5 conversion in Spring)
    -ENDLESS MA 22B Race pads
    -2.5RS front bumper w/ C-West Lip
    -Undertray with rear diffuser
    -Brake cooling ducts

Previous Modifications:

Engine:
    '91 EJ22T shortblock (STOCK)
    '03 WRX heads + intake manifold; D-style ported heads & TGV deletes
    '02 WRX ECU/harness MERGED via ECS
    modded stock injectors; 820-830cc, Walbro 255 FP
    Perrin crank pulley
    Perrin BIG MAF
    Gimmick turbo inlet
    ebay TMIC; port matched y-pipe inlets
    Greddy Type RS BOV
    SBR/Kinetic Motorsports EVO3-16G-8cm IWG turbo; GM BCS@20psi
    SSAC/XSPower 4-1 headers w/ modded uppipe; no flex
    x3racing bellmouth DP & SPT catback
    Mishimoto Radiator
    Crucial Racing 160* thermostat

Driveline:

'04 JDM WRX STi DCCD 6spd
    STi FW/PP, ACT sprung 6puck disc, driveshaft, axles, R180, f/r Brembos & SS brake lines

Suspension:
    BC Racing coilovers; 8kg/mm all around
    jNorth fender braces
    WRX 20mm sway bars f/r
    custom rear sway bar reinforcement brackets
    custom rear diff SOLID anti "clunk" inserts
    L&E Fabrications quick steering column
    Falken RT615 235/40/17
    5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8 +48mm; 8mm spacer front

3. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Street Driving Impression
    This was written a few months ago...but I figure it may give some insight here.
    Original thread: http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=529568

[​IMG]

Last week at Firestone, in the middle of a normal Friday night conversation, Fuji asked me if I wanted to trade cars. I kinda laughed and said sure thinking he was joking. But he was serious. He explained he wanted to trade for a few days a get a review of his car in the context of a daily driven car.

Now, most people on this site know about Fuji's wagon, and many of us have seen it progress from it's original NA EJ22E to it's current nearly 300whp hybrid build.

Fuji asked me to drive his car for two reasons. First, my car is very similar to what his car was in stock form, I have a 2000 Outback Sport, his car is a 99 Impreza Wagon, so I would be able to compare going from stock to highly modified and back to stock within a few days. Second, I guess he trusts me :), I think anyone who has had the misfortune of driving behind me on the street knows I take it pretty easy. So this isn't going to be a review of the performance capabilities of his car, but more an analysis of the daily driveability of his various mods. Hopefully this can provide some information to people about whether certain mods are a good idea for daily driven cars.

We traded cars Sunday night. I took a short drive around the neighborhood with him just so he could point out a few things. I've driven stock WRXs before, but that didn't really compare to this. I lightly hit boost in 2nd on the onramp to 694 and quickly shifted into third and gave it a bit more throttle. By the time I looked down I think I was going over 80mph. I've never had a car that would get me up into speeding ticket territory so quickly, so that was something I was going to have to watch out for.

My commute is a little more than 15 miles, a mix of 30mph residential streets and a few short sections of freeway. Here's an old video of the route, (sped up 8x so you don't die of boredom).

Monday morning I went out and started the car. The first thing I noticed was the exhaust. At idle and low speeds, it was noticably louder than my NA wagon with a Magnaflow catback. It was enough to wake my wife up as I was pulling away in the morning. Although it was louder, the exhaust had almost no drone at higher speeds and actually seemed quieter on the highway than my Magnaflow. I tried to use my cheap DB meter to compare with my car, but the numbers I got back were inconsistent. But, it kinda showed what I was thinking, Fuji's car interior is louder at lower speeds, but at highway speeds it's very similar to my car. The equal length headers give the car a very non-Subaru sound. I've always been a little disappointed when I hear Fuji pull away at Firestone because I'm expecting the Subaru rumble. However, inside the car the exhaust note is very satisfying somehow. I never noticed any gas odors from the catless exhaust, even with the windows down. Overall for daily driving, I'd want the exhaust to be a bit quieter. A resonator or catted DP might be enough.

The second most noticeable mod is the clutch. The pedal itself very smooth and not heavy at all, but the 6 puck clutch has a very short and solid(aka harsh) engagement. I'll admit I stalled a few times on the first trip to work, but I quickly started to adjust to it. It's very possible to drive that clutch smoothly, but you just have a much smaller range and it's not forgiving if you're off a bit, you'll either stall or get some shudder. I could easily survive driving with this clutch after having a few days to practice, but I still wasn't 100% smooth from a stop with it. Depending on the passengers you'd have to haul, they could get annoyed by the jerky starts.

After that, another noticeable mod is the quick steering rack. The steering is a lot heavier, almost like not having power steering, but not quite that heavy. I didn't really need any time to adjust to the faster ratio itself, that felt very natural. But the heavier steering took a bit to adjust to, parking lots get a little annoying with the heavy steering, other than that it's fine. Fuji's car had a little play in the wheel which felt very pronounced because of the heavy steering, I would have had a better impression of the steering rack if it hadn't been for that play. Also, I noticed a few corners where the turn signal didn't shut off because I didn't have to turn the wheel enough. I have to say for daily driving, I like my stock steering rack better. I just didn't find any advantage to the faster rack on the street. If you spend any time on the track though, it'd be worth any tradeoff.

So, the brakes, I didn't notice the brakes.... until I got back into my car. That's actually a good thing. The brakes were very progressive and smooth with obviously plenty of braking power. It wasn't until I drove my car again that I noticed how soft the pedal was on my car and how much more pedal travel was required to stop the car. Brembos might be overkill for daily driving, but I can see no drawback at all to having them and I'm going to start looking at brakes upgrades for my car in the future. The stainless steel brakes lines probably helped to the solid pedal feel as well.

Ok, the 6 speed transmission. Yes please... The gear ratios are great, the syncros actually work and as long as you don't mind shifting through an extra gear it's a great transmission. I found myself shifting between 5th and 6th on the freeway a bit when traffic sped up and slowed down where in my car I could have stayed in 5th the whole time. Otherwise I'd still cruise in 4th gear for 30mph streets, it felt very similar to 4th in my 5mt.

Ok, let's see... suspension, the ride quality was better than I expected. But I'm running SPT springs and AGX struts in my wagon, so I'm used to stiffer-than-stock suspension. The coilovers on Fuji's car didn't feel overly stiff to me. The only thing noticeable was on big bumps, the shorter travel would create some bounce, but the car handled it very well. I still found myself slowing down in Fuji's car for big bumps (like railroad crossings) that I would take at full speed in my car. I would be a bit worried about the longevity of the coilovers with some of the roads I drive on. I think some passengers might find the suspension a bit rough. Overall, I'd probably choose to stick with a strut/spring combo for a daily driven car.

The extra bracing and subframe locking bolts created noticeably more road noise, but there were also no interior panels in the rear of the wagon. I think with the stock interior in place, this extra noise wouldn't be very noticable. Also, my Bridgestone G009 tires create a lot more road noise than I was hearing from Fuji's tires, so overall the road noise level was really about the same.

Ok, so enough of the boring stuff... how about driving a nearly 300whp car to work? I'd say 99% of the time I was not using the turbo, the boost guage was firmly in the vacuum territory. Although the 2.2 felt more responsive than a stock 2.0 WRX at low rpm, it still didn't have nearly the low rpm throttle response of my NA 2.2. For 0-30mph speeds, I'll take an NA car any day. But Fuji's car was very drivable out of boost, not a problem at all.

The few times I got into the boost was on the freeway on ramps or passing on the freeway. Coming down the ramp in 3rd gear at about 3000 rpm it only took a quick stab of the throttle to get up to (or past) the speed limit and merge. The amount of power the car made really was overkill for a daily commute. Fun, but overkill. I'm a little torn, but I still think I'd prefer NA overall, but if I spent more miles on the freeways, I'd take the raw hp over the low rpm NA torque.

I'd be interesting in trying a 2.0 stage 2 WRX or any stage 2.5 WRX and see how it compares. Having either a turbo that spools sooner or a bigger block with more torque might wipe out any advantage I think the NA still has.

I drove about 100 miles in three days and got just about 22mpg. My 2.2 NA would have probably gotten about 25-27 with the same mix of driving. I thought this mpg was acceptable given the mods done to the car.

So, two conclusions. First, if it were a permanent trade and I had to commute in Fuji's car every day. First, I would quiet the exhaust down a bit with a resonator or cat. I would put a few more interior pieces back in and maybe a bit of extra sound deadening. I would install a stereo, a radiator fan (or two) and probably try to get the AC working again. The clutch I would keep, but it would get replaced with something less aggressive. The coilovers I would keep, but again in the future they'd be replaced with something with more travel.

Second, what would I do to my car (if I had money to burn) after driving Fuji's. I'd buy (and probably will buy) better seats. He has an 04 wrx driver's seat that . I didn't realize how much difference that would make compared to the stock Impreza wagon seats, it was great. I was happy to try that out too since I knew they sit a bit taller. I'm almost 6', and I could still (barely) wear my helmet in the car. I'd also look at a brake upgrade, maybe WRX brakes and SS lines. I already have SPT springs, AGX struts, strut tower braces and a bigger rear sway bar in my wagon and I'm happy with them for the driving I do. Power-wise, for the driving I do, I don't think I'd invest in doing a turbo swap on my car. For daily driving, rallycross and some ice driving, my 2.2 NA is just enough.

4. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Track Driving Impression
    [​IMG]
    On Aug 31st I had a chance to drive Fuji's wagon on the test track at DCTC. I had spent the entire morning and most of the afternoon putting on some serious miles in my car on the track. So by the time I got into Fuji's car, I had become very comfortable with pushing my car close to its limit around the course.

I first got to ride along for a few laps while Sheen (idget) drove. He gave me a few tips and warnings. The track has a 55mph speed limit, this wasn't a problem in my car, but I noticed Sheen getting up to that limit very fast in Fuji's. The other very noticeable difference was the responsiveness of Fuji's car, turn in was nearly instant for example. The DCTC track is a bit rough in a few spots, and Fuji's car was stiff enough to have trouble keeping all the tires on the track at times and as a result had trouble delivering power. There was noticable wheel spin out of certain corners.

After checking with Fuji, I got in the driver's seat. I think I said something like "ok, I'll drive, but I'm not gonna get into the boost on this track...", yeah, that didn't last long. The car carried momentum well around the turns, there was very little body roll and the tires hooked up well. The brakes were powerful, but a bit inconsistent when driven hard which meant that I was usually braking very early.

After a lap or two, I starting getting on the throttle a bit harder coming out of some of the corners. Compared to an NA car, gear selection is very important if you want to exit a corner fast. Also, you really need to pay attention to how soon and how hard you get on the gas. In my car, I can just mash the gas pedal down as soon as I start to unwind the wheel and the power delivery is smooth and there are no problems. In contrast, in Fuji's car I got on the gas a bit too early in 3rd gear coming out of a high speed corner and very quickly the back end started to come out.

The quick steering rack on Fuji's car felt perfect on the track, absolutely perfect. I'd say it's totally worth it if you spend much time at all on a track.

The Brembos had tons of stopping power, enough to get me in trouble locking up the front brakes if I wasn't careful. Fuji just needs to work out the kinks that are causing the inconsistent pedal travel and the brakes will be set.

The transmission and clutch, again no complaints on the track. The only thing I noticed was that rev matching is a bit different on turbo vs na since the turbo engine was a bit slower to rev from low rpms, where my na is very responsive. It just takes a longer blip to get the rpm up.

The suspension was a bit stiff for some parts of the track and was picking tires up at times (probably not when I was driving, but for other, faster drivers). But there was no body roll and the car was responsive.

Again, I noticed the difference the most when I got back into my car. My brakes are underpowered and soft. The turn in on my car is noticably slower than on Fuji's car. And my all-season tires didn't have nearly the grip of his tires. The lack of power I can deal with, especially on a tight course, but improving my brakes, tightening up the steering a bit and better tires would make my car a lot quicker.

Sheen suggested getting larger sway bars front and rear and looking into some cowl (fender) braces and maybe some Whiteline steering bushings for my car. These are reasonably prices mods that I think would help a lot. I'm also planning on upgrading to RS brakes and SS lines and buying summer-only tires for next year.

What about the 1320?
    This was a HOT Summer day.in the 90* temps and humidity. I sprayed down the TMIC with DUST OFF bought from Target. Flipped the bottle upside down, pointed the straw between the FINS of the TMIC and spray away! 1 can per run pretty much. $7 each!! Spendy in a way...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [youtube]RuC6KaVfL9Q[/youtube]

5. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Picture Gallery
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Links to fun Videos
    Having some fun
    Acceleration 1-2-3
    Drift Day23
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/FuJi_K/MNSubaru/?action=view&current=donutsfuji.flv Back in the NA days

DCCD Demonstration:

I win with e-brake technique
    Worn Center diff w/ Open diffs front/rear

Project videos
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/FuJi_K/MNSubaru/?action=view&current=subienewb.flv Teaching a Newb Engine builder
    EJ22T rebuild
    STi engine installation Sorry little English
    STi Engine rebuild 2nd time
    Double D'd USDM STi head
    STi Project pt1
    STi Project pt2
    OEM DD Ports on '96 EJ25D
    Cold Day Small Projects
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/FuJi_K/swapII/?action=view&current=1209071457.flv Leaky Fuel hoses on EJ205 1
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/FuJi_K/swapII/?action=view&current=1209071557.flv Leaky Fuel hoses EJ205 2; sneak peak at DD ports
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/FuJi_K/swapII/?action=view&current=1127072035.flv Good view of DD Ports and around then engine
    OMG Boost creep!

Links to Technical stuff I've written, started topics, and put together
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1689781 Learning to Choose your Gear Set/Ratios@NASIOC
    http://rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1521505#post1521505 Tuning suspension for Front LSD
    http://rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90152 DCCD Demonstration
    http://rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1359027#post1359027 STi rear Knuckles FYI
    http://rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1309050#post1309050 Reworked SOHC 2.5L head porting
    http://rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55273 Clutch LSD Tech
    http://rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48323 Head Ports Comparison
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153971 Oval Muffler VS Round Muffler@NASIOC
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679543 EJ22E Phase1/2@NASIOC
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903873 Head Ports Comparison@NASIOC
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666574 HID Bulb Positioning@NASIOC
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476366 8mm Spacers for FN01R-C/STi Brembo combo@NASIOC
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417622 Subaru RODs: Forged?@NASIOC

10. 05cgmsti

05cgmsti Well-Known Member

Nice write up, this should help alot of people looking to do something similar. I'm jealous.

11. ej20

ej20 Well-Known Member

U-da-MAN Fuji.

you look tired on that pic, want a beer?

12. Quietkid

Quietkid Well-Known Member

Very nice! I enjoyed it alot.

If your interested in those cams sometime, pm me. I have some brand new 272 BC's for ej205 heads.

13. eterenity11

eterenity11 Well-Known Member

WOW nice write up...

14. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I am a proud friend to have been part of your journey and to have experienced great commodore in your continued efforts for success and re-engineering of your machine, but most of all your devotion and commitment to sharpen your craft. You are someone who has lead the way for many new drivers and enthusiasts thru your collective knowledge and kindness to help others in their challenges.

I look forward to seeing you aspire to another level and will continue to support you in anyway I can. You are a valuable asset to the community.

“It’s not what’s inside us that defines us, it’s what you do with it!”

15. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I'd like to thank ALL of those who helped my make this possible. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have come this far. Many thanks to the forums and its members as well as they prove to be very informative.

Thank you much Chong for the Support!

16. devildevil

devildevil Well-Known Member

Awesome write up fuji! i'd love to do one of my build but its spent more time in the garage then on the street. lol. someday i'll take the time to do a write up.

17. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Wow, nice write up Fuji!

18. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Awesome write up.

Awesome wagon

19. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

good job fuji

"i know nothing"
    :)

20. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

I see, more powaz!

21. Quietkid

Quietkid Well-Known Member

Probably the best thread/ write-up I've ever seen:cool:

22. RiftsWRX

RiftsWRX New Member

Great write up Fuji! Your car is a blast man!

23. Musashi

Alright so here she goes. Its 2009 and lots of car clubs are starting to organize track events for this season. Last year I believe was your first active season especially with the current setup. There is much more to do to the car and if luck would have it you could end up with a new setup by the time the first event come up in spring.

I am sure you're proably already doing this, but just in case now is a good time to start putting your plans down on paper and start working towards those plans. Otherwise you'll end up with a very short season. I hope to see you at more track events this season.

24. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

You've learned a lot and come a long way with that car. Well done indeed! :biggrin:

25. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Well-Known Member

Very good write up. Your passion shows and is cool to see. Congrats on the build/journey so far, and good luck with the future plans.

26. Musashi

Here is a good write up you may enjoy reading from time to time!

http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471591&postcount=88

The Black Mamba!

[​IMG]

The idea started two weeks before the event and after much convincing on my part I manage to get Mt Fuji Industries to commit. He had two weeks of fun trying to put his car together. He was soo busy he managed to get less than 40mins of sleep the night before the event, somehow managed to make it to my house and off we went to BIR. Thanks to Noah for going to his house and waking him up.

So I have driven Grimspeeds Green Monster with the quick steering rack on a short track, but not on a high speed track like BIR. So Fuji is constantly reminding me about that along with the fact that he has set up the Black Mamba to have oversteer on throttle exit. He has been watching too many drifting video's on Youtube.

We spend all day Friday testing and tuning, had some boost creep issues, serious oversteer while exiting corners and some low friction brake issues when braking into corners. And the Hoosier rubber was a bit wide for the fenders, but it survived.

It took a lot of patience and confidence on the passengers part to jump into this car as there were some scary moments. An example of a good reason to come off the course when your starting to feeling fatigued is like the experience we had on late Friday while coming into turn 7 setting up for 8. I knew I was getting tired by the end of the day, but I thought we could use this last session to test the last modifications. We were coming into turn 7 at about 80mph, I just turned in a hair late and went to adjust to track out to setup for 8 when the rear got light, the wagon started to oversteer right, left and back to right and we had neno seconds before going straight off into the woods, and what crossed my mind was I didn't want this to be my first off the track, I somehow managed to still be able process this all the while trying to regain control of the car. I slowly squeezed on the brakes and turned into the direction of where the car was moving and we somehow managed to make it into turn 8 without changing our shorts.

Mother nature could not of been more generious, she could not make up her mind as most beautiful ladies do. We had everything except for the snow. High winds, cloudy sky's, rain on an off, shower, cold temperatures, styrophome barriers rolling into turn 10, dead squirrels and sand storms.

Sunday rolled in with perfect weather, we got the Black Mamba dialed in to neutral steer with slight oversteer on WOT on track exit a great combination. We were able to exit 10 quickly and WOT throttle as soon as we started to straighten out, catching Mike's M3 on exit. We also buried his speedO which reads 120mph in 6th gear at +6000rpm. We did a few laps where we followed Mike's M3 for two laps and he follow us two. The performance of Fuji's Wagon is astounding. The 5yrs he has put into building his knowledge base and his car really reflects this weekends success. We were probably one of slowest cars in the Instructors and Advance group at the beginning of the event, but on Sunday we kept traffic behind us for four laps before exiting. The wagon has a lot of potential, plenty of power, we just need to find more grip. I'll let Fuji explain the technical details and provide his review from the passenger seat.

I would also like to thank him for having enough confidence in allowing me pilot his baby and for riding with someone who has never driven his car at a high speed track and for being the pit crew along with Noah for the weekend. They did a wonderful job of maintaining the car and getting it ready for each session. And Nuke for helping us over the phone with some of the bugs on the map and Yia for loaning us his WRX Race seat. That made a difference in our performance as well. And 1fastbadger for taking it easy on us.

Looking forward to another R&D event with the crew till we can build our own GST monster.

27. Kracka

Kracka Member

Cool build, but why the rusty hood?

28. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I didn't have time to paint it. It is painted now though.

29. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Where can we put this thread.......

30. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

On a plaque?

31. Musashi

I think the Mod's should create a thread for Journals as there are a few out there that does not really fit anywhere. It would a great thread to see what people have done, where they started and where they are now and how they have grown.

32. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Once I finish with a few projects that are pending, I'll get back onto my car.

I don't know if many of you know, but my car threw a rod bearing again. So she's just sitting. Didn't even get to do donuts in the snow.

33. Musashi

I just ordered a GoPro Be a HERO camera for this season with some extra 2gb sd memory. This will be a fun addition. Now we can really capture some good footage and start observing what we need to work on. It would be nice to have a few more to capture some other angles from driver to mechanics for R&D.

http://www.goprocamera.com/products

[​IMG]

34. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

It'd be nice to see you in action with that Chong!! Get one for foot work!

35. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

a few pics of the tear down... will be splitting the block later this week when time opens up. Here's Yia working on his as I'm working on mine.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

36. Musashi

Looks promising, but I don't know that I would trust letting the Phatboy in the S2k work on his own engine. LOL

JK Yia, its nice to see you working on cars again.

37. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

dont worry Mr. C

I got something coming at you. Top Secret.

Fujis garage is too small. only short people like him can crawl around and not get hurt.

38. Musashi

Top Secret! Not interested, everytime the typical street racer tells me that I just get disappointed when its revealed. So you got something for me to look at or something for me to run away from. LOL

I'll see you at an event!!! I dare you!

39. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

i think i have been absent in this hobby for quit long enough................then again it won't be for a bit until i pick up another performance car or subie. need to get a wagon or something useful for fishing first, then a CBR 600RR, then the subie....but none the less nice write and you guys have fun! i'll join you guys again some day!

40. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I hope those 22T pistons are going straight in the trash. Notice how the oil ring section is completely open on the sides.

41. Musashi

LOL You haven't forgotten about us! I thought you had gone to bigger and better things. What you should do is go over to mt. Fuji's garage and give him a hand. :laugh:

42. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

i've been too busy the past few months..... picked up a addiction to saltwater fish(honestly i can do a sti swap in my RS if i still had it with the money i invested into that hobby). I also have to keep the woman occupied or else i get it....next i have school, need to get my degree and i will be working 2 jobs..... honestly won't be for a bit before i join up the fun again.

43. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Okies, just picked up the intake manifold. This thing's runners are HUGE!!! The manifold is also very light for how big it is!!! Of course it's a BARE manifold... but... very nice. They deburred a lot of the casting edges so you won't get cut, but you can still in some spots. Running this manifold requires a FMIC setup.

[​IMG]

44. Progression

Progression Member

The new mani looks good Fuj! Bring it down to firestone on friday! I would really like to take a peek at it before you bolt it up.

45. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I can do that.