Fuji's Journal: GF8F5SD Project

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by FuJi K, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Ninja 4 Life

Ninja 4 Life Well-Known Member

^^Do it Fuji!!!

2. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I do have GENUINE JDM STi Version 5 wagon wings. hahaha but they won't give me the down force or stability I need.

The car has retired for the season. The motor has just a hair over 11,500miles. This is daily driven and drive to and from the tracks. It sees 8000rpms on occasion for kicks and giggles. So far we have to figure out the overheating issue when pushed hard for 1-2 minute straight. Either the heads are lifting, radiator clogged, or simply the closed deck block. Other than that it doesn't overheat in sprints or normal driving. The radiator I'm running is a Mishimoto. I do plan to move to a KOYO for thicker core.

Time to pay off the bills!

3. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

here's the latest. This motor suffered from rod bearing failure. I dunno if it was from lack of oil or if it was fed with 87oct? Here are some pictures
    Halves
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rod bearings 1-2-3-4
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cylinder walls 1-2-3-4
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Pistons 1-2-3-4
    TOP[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    BTM
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

So what plans do you have for this motor?
    2.35L build, spare motor for skittlez...

6. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I think he's gonna make a Mini Skittles. He's fetching some 13" wheels as we speak.

7. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

Finally had some time to look through this thread. Awesome job! Very impressive.

8. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

There's a lot of options of what can be done this this block. I can keep the 75mm stroke, but add +4mm rods to it, or stroke it to a 79mm and add +2mm rods to it, or SLEEVE it and Stroke it plus +2mm rods; all with custom piston. However my application is more so "Time Attack" style. So building it with a wide powerband is needed. This newly required EJ22T will still be sitting and waiting for it's time. The current motor is still being tested. We'll see what the internals look like this spring.

9. Musashi

Options:

A. Time to stick to one plan and that's to get her finished or you'll never see the full potential of your Skittles!

B. Garage queen! Incomplete and unbalanced, no seat time at the track lapping/drifting.

C. Natural aspirated! Retire! No more talking!

LOL

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

If I am able to pay off some bills..... I'll get closer to running the turbo I have.

11. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

ohhhhHHHHHHHHHH

[​IMG][​IMG]

[youtube]sSsN3L0e3xQ[/youtube]

12. Musashi

Oh I thought you were getting that for me as a late Christmas gift LOL

Sad/happy to see!

13. vangstaboi86

vangstaboi86 Well-Known Member

looks pretty warm out there fuji ;P

14. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

ok..... an update..... these will be stickier.

255/40/17
    [​IMG]

15. Musashi

As they say "be careful what you ask for, cause you may just get it." Lets see what this does for you!!! But surely you're not planning on running the TD04 on these tires are ya? LOL

16. vangstaboi86

vangstaboi86 Well-Known Member

Lmao!!!

17. Musashi

But I guess if vangstaboi86 is running 235'er anything's can happen.

18. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Just an update.
    The car is still parked. During winter I tried starting it and seems the bad battery charger might have killed the relay that runs the Bosch fuel pump, so I'll have to replace that relay with a new one. The car DOES start when you just hook up the power straight, bypassing the relay to the fuel pump. Once it rains enough and all the salt is off the road then I'll drive her out with my furious TD04L turbo!!! hahaha

Plans this year are to take the engine out soon and have the heads LIGHTLY decked and install ARP head studs, which I should have done in the beginning but was testing the limits. Then once that's done I can push her some.

I have my set of ported heads to go on later in the summer as long as funds permit for further testing. I will however first install some cams on these unported heads currently on the car to test. I'm looking at GSC stg1 cams for AVCS heads, which runs a 268° intake and 266° exhaust duration. This will allow me to save as much mid as I can.

The turbo is still a BorgWarner S200sx twinscroll 1.22a/r. I plan to run a smaller hotside from .78a/r - .83a/r for the moment. I AM selling this turbo and furiously looking at getting the Garrett GTX3076R twinscroll .83a/r T3. This will match closely to the cams in making the wide powerband. The new GTX turbo features a billet compressor wheel so you're looking at up to 40hp give or take a few here and there. This allows a bit better top end at higher boost pressures. SO if someone buys my BW turbo, I can up, if not then I run my BW turbo.

There are also plans to upgrade the R180's rear LSD. The oem unit is wearing out. I do want to replace the fluid with just reg Extra-S from Subaru. I want the LSD to GRIP, not SLIP!!! More friction on the disc, not less. So a Carbonetics 1.5way is being watched. If not then a KAAZ unit.

The new tires have been mounted. Previous Nitto NT01's where 235/40/17. They are now 255/40/17. I figure these will be as big as I will ever go. Anymore and we may need to do some 22B wide body or something. hahaa My fenders are rolled and pulled. They LOOK stock but it's how you pull them so it'll look clean. I don't like the flared lip look.

The wheels again are 17x9 +38 offset Drag DR31 wheels from Discount Tire. They are a replica of the WORKs CR-Kai. They weigh about the same. Spoke design about the same. The difference is the angles on the spokes towards the face. Other than that they are very good looking wheels. These 17x9 are deep dish faced. The reg 17x8 are not like this. You can look at them on dragwheels's website.

Here's the stance and launching at the drag strip on the 235/40/17. I didn't even know who took these pics.... but tagged on facebook!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

ughhhh...I see all the maserratis and porschers out, the salt is gone. skittlez needs to come out and not be afraid to race on that furious td04...hahaha

btw what else do you have for suspension upgrades other than the coilovers?

20. Musashi

Maybe we'll see you at BIR this May, yah?

21. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to see some MNsubaru members up there this year. When I went last year there wasn't a single Subaru around.

22. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

and I lol'd

23. Musashi

I'll be up there, just let me know in advance, it's likely we'll meet.

24. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Here's an update on the car's current setup. This is NA inspired!!! This is just a setup that I'm doing for the road course to give my friend a chance in chasing me with his 2.5RS on Shaved Toyo RA1's; 235/40/17 on stock RS springs, 20mm sway bars and LGT brakes front/rear on HP+ pads, SS lines, SuperBlue fluid. I'm running my NEW unshaved Nitto NT01's in 255/40/17, full coilovers 12k f/r with camber plates (same alignment as last year), 20mm WRX sway bars, Project Mu Racing 999 race pads. We'll be on the road course this coming weekend doing a driving school together.

I also hope the car doesn't spit out coolant like last year when we ran the 20G on high boost. This is running wastegate only so there should be much less heat and temps should be lower. Running normal radiator caps, still on the 160° thermostat and the Mishimoto radiator; no fans!

Setup is as follows on my '06 WRX swap with my built EJ22T:
    -heads are still only fitted with Crower vale springs and Ti retainers
    -the built shortblock is still current
    -stock WRX exhaust manifold and EJ22T uppipe
    -TD04L on wastegate boost
    -ebay TMIC with Forge BPV
    -Stock light blue injectors (running pump gas)
    -TGV-less intake mani
    -3" bellmouth turboback exhaust

Very NA like powerband. This was at night so it's a little more power in DynoJet setting. However if in Mustang Dyno setting it'll be like maybe 20hp less... and then in the daytime where it's warmer, maybe another 20hp less. So you can say it's like a STOCK WRX for power, just that the WRX runs more boost so it'll likely see higher peak torque.

[​IMG]

25. Ntxhuav_Khang

Ntxhuav_Khang Well-Known Member

souy said your car was out. lol
    where is this road course you are going to this weekend? j/c...gotta stop by some time to check out your car man.

26. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Going to Brainerd up north. Gimme a txt. I'm home today and tmrw.

27. Musashi

So are we going to have a dog fight or a cock fight lol

All bets are off "Registration is officially CLOSED"

28. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

So after hanging out with Fuji and Surly last night we had some dinner. After talking about gearing and the difference in the STi 6 speed tranny over the WRX 5 speed, Fuji was kind enough to let Surly and I drive Skittles. I'll let Surly fill you in on his impressions. After getting in the car and admiring the gauges, I pushed the clutch in and noticed how much shorter travel the car had than mine. (in a good way) I then put the car in gear. The throws are very short and clean, no slop compared to the WRX unit. The gearing is awesome, even with 3 of us in the car (if you've met Surly and myself you'll know we're a couple of hearty guys.) the cars powerband was great. Obviously it also has to do with the powerplant but , the gearing also plays a major role. I instantly fell in love with how friendly the set up was.

I would almost say it's easier to drive. It doesn't feel like your working your way "back" into power like the longer geared 5 speed. Instead when you shift up the powerband feels like the previous gear. I only drove the car for a short period to see what Fuji's car felt like, but mostly to see the difference in the transmission. However I thoroughly enjoyed the expierience. Many thanks again Fuji!

29. Musashi

What are your thoughts of the new revision at BIR last Monday May 23rd?

30. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Ohhhh... forgot to write a "review":

For starters, for those of you who don't already know, I'm a complete n00b. I drive a car almost entirely intuitively with only basic understanding of mechanical function, physics, chemistry etc. I'm no race driver. I rely on being able to "feel" the car. I'm not a fan of surprise reactions to my inputs.

...and that is why I LOOOOOOVE this car setup.

We only cruised around town at reasonable speed (cop in front of me for the only highway on ramp. rawr). It was enough to row through the gears several times and get a feel for how the car responds. This is in the running for the most responsive car I've driven. Not the "tightest", but the most responsive. It just plain feels right. Having heard about the capabilities of this car before, I was expecting a sharp, harsh, somewhat unforgiving experience on par with other "high performance" wrx's I've had the opportunity to drive. It was none of these...

First impressions were a bit startling. Throws were tiny and precise. This much I expected. What I didn't expect was for Fuji to tell me this is a stock 6 speed. I can't imagine shortening it up any further.

Clutch travel was shorter and much lighter than I expected. Gear engagement was very smooth and surprisingly forgiving. Getting the car into 1st and engaging the clutch for the first time was a decidedly non-dramatic experience.

Once we were off, the next thing I noticed was massive play in the steering wheel. This is my only gripe about the whole drive. Fuji warned me that the steering would be heavy due to the tighter ratio. He was right, but it wasn't too bad... though I did nearly chuck my legacy sideways right after the skittles test drive due to the light steering. ;)

Suspension was alright. Tooling around at 30-45 mph doesn't offer much opportunity to get a solid feel for the setup since I never really compressed anything. The ride was reasonable. Just a touch bouncy, but nothing like some coil over setups I've tried.

My next observation can be summed up in three words: Epic. Throttle. Response.

I'm glad the boost was dialed down (to 7 pounds I think?) or I would have found myself in the back seat the first time I got a little festive with 2nd gear. There is no perceptable lag in this car. When coupled with the "always-on" power band Mr Tran mentioned, you are left with incredible response at all pedal positions and apparently almost the entire RPM range.

It only took two shifts to understand that the throttle was listening quite intently for the slightest input, and giving me EXACTLY what I put in. Ask for 15% throttle, get 15% acceleration. Ask for 18%, get 18%. Ask for 65%, get 65%. Ask for anything in between, get exactly what you asked for.

To me that kind of throttle response is mind blowing. It gives me an idea where I could go with my '10 LGT. When describing the LGT's response, I say that stock (or stage 1) only had two throttle positions: slow and warp. With stage 2 I acquired a much better range of response throughout the pedal, but I still only feel like there are perhaps 4-5 positions that make a noticeable difference. In skittles, you get exactly what you put in. The intuitive connection this kind of responsiveness fosters makes me feel funny in my pants. If this is what Nuke does to scoobs, I need to start harassing him a lot more aggressively for a tuning session. Do want.

To sum it up: This is a driver's car. It is incredibly intuitive, easy to drive, and from what I can tell quite forgiving. Like Fuji tried to tell me when offering the test drive, it's very difficult to understand what "responsive" can really mean until you experience it.

Thanks Fuji!

31. Musashi

Very slowly but surely someone is actually taking advice to heart. Kudo's for that! The car is plenty easy to drive as the threshold is quite high, just not as predictable when driving it under competitive fast paces which is something I hope my little friend will start focusing on next. She's not much to look at but she does know how to work it and work it good.

32. Musashi

33. Ntxhuav_Khang

Ntxhuav_Khang Well-Known Member

This car is a car that will give you speeding tickets...drove it the other day and man! was it fast...made me not want to drive mines. LOL

34. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I said boy racers would say it's junk because it doesn't scream about how ZOMGSOFAST it is to anyone within ear/eyeshot.

I'm not a boy racer. ;)

35. Musashi

LOL Too Shay The Boy Racers at the AutoX event's we were at last year would agree with your statement. Fuji should of captured this moment on Fuji Film!

36. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Lolwut

37. Musashi

That would explain the urine smell.

38. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

I got to drive it, feels just like my stockish '98 2.5RS but with a better top end.

39. Musashi

Here's one from Nuke's library "LOL WUT"

40. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

correction, lolwut

[​IMG]

41. Musashi

Youtube "Double Rainbow" to get my personal thoughts. LMAO

42. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

All i get is 4 colored wheels :???:

43. Musashi

There I go again, typo "Double Rainbow" yo, it's apparent brain and fingers are no longer integrated.

I blame it on Android Swype!!!

44. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand...LOL

45. Musashi

Working as designed! 404