Garage Lighting

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by xluben, Dec 10, 2012.

1. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

I actually spent a lot of time looking when I bought these for 6 things.
    1. 4100K color temp vs lumens. I happen to like it for a shop environment and it was one of the few matching color temps for the 4' bulbs in the troffers and small CFLs for the garage door openers
    2. Medium base threads, 120v. I didn't want to have to switch to mogul based light sockets. And like a idiot, the first ones I picked up in store were mogul based.
    3. internal ballast. Seems once you get to the higher wattage CFLs you start encountering ones that require a separate ballast.
    4. Cost, many of the higher wattage CFLs got stupid expensive really fast. I wasn't about to spend $60-100 a bulb
    5. cold weather starting. My garage is insulated and has r19 doors so it doesn't get too cold by any means, ~45 degrees on average in winter with no heat. but they do start up just fine when the doors were left open and the temps were in single digits, warm up time is longer, but they never failed to start. It is heated, but only when doing long projects.
    6. from a bulb/company that had some decent reviews on reliability for their CFLs. Many seem to be honeymoon bulbs that start life out great and die quickly.

The Eiko 81184 seemed to be a nice compromise on all points. Reliability and price being the compromises. After about a year none have failed, yet. They probably see 10-20 hours a week on average with several 30 minute or less run times.

Be interesting to see what your thoughts are after installing them.

2. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Well, thanks for doing the research for me! They sound like a great option from what you mentioned. I am really looking forward to getting them. Should be here on Wednesday. I have plenty to do in the garage, so I'm sure I'll get to test them out right away. I'm looking forward to it before I can get additional lighting!

3. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I got these bulbs yesterday! They are HUGE! I expected big, but they're really big!

[​IMG]

The lights they replaced were actually 15W CFL's. Not sure the color temp, but much more yellow thank these 4100K lights.

The light output is very strong, and they turn on instantly (faster than the little ones I had).

Here are some comparison photos of the old lighting vs. the new. These are all just auto camera-phone (GS4) settings, no editing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to get an accurate feel of the lighting just from pictures, but it's certainly a noticeable change in the right direction. Should be enough to hold me over until I can get some more fixtures in. Thanks!

4. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Dang, those look bright! Are those safe to run in standard light sockets? Looks like they are just "100 Watt" bulbs. Dare I ask how much those cost? I wouldn't mind adding those to my garage since I'm not going to invest in lighting (rental).

ofspunk7 likes this.
  5. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Whoa, those look sweet.

6. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're pretty sweet and not too expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D9F16K/

Same power draw as a normal 100W bulb, but 4x the light.

And they screw into standard sockets and have built in ballasts.

Direct plug and play and 7x more light than my old bulbs!

7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Done and done, thanks for the info! Might have to order these before my Amazon prime membership trial runs out!

Edit: Boo, not eligible for prime.

8. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Odd. I got mine on Prime. Looks like that is no longer an option, but the default vendor does have free shipping.

9. glen

glen Well-Known Member

10. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Does the packaging on these give the lumens?

11. flstffxe

I take they pass the test?

I said they were big:).

The little standard size CFL in the EIKO package looks like a baby shoe inside a clown shoe.

For the price and being a plug and play shop lighting upgrade it is hard to beat. Much less work than hanging fixtures. 4 in a 2 car garage would be fine and 6 in a 3 car garage would make for nice shop lighting.

12. flstffxe

Not that I recall seeing it on the package but it is listed on the manufactures website and I have found www.1000bulbs.com to be fairly reliable with info.

~6900 lumens

13. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Thanks.

14. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're big, and they're awesome. Did some more organizing in the garage last night and it was great to have the extra light.