Gas $ Etc.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by BoBo82, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan New Member

Some numbers:

Let's say 20 MPG
    and let's also say 20,000miles annually
    1000 gallon per year

Difference between $3.50 and $4.00 per gallon is $500 per year, roughly $10 per week, $42 per month. To buy a $2000 beater getting 32 MPG it would take almost 3 years to pay off the beater, not accounting for decreased insurance costs or repairs of said beater. If you drive fewer miles, then the payback takes longer.

To me, driving what I want is worth an extra $42 per month, at least until the useful life of the car is done or my automotive needs change. Most every hobby costs money.

YMMV, literally ;)

2. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

yupp:)

3. 06WRXss

06WRXss New Member

I sold my WRX at the end of this winter in hopes of a lower car payment.
    My goal was to also get something with better miliage since I was getting a differnt car anyways.

I ended up getting a 04 Mazda 3. Nice car, but I really miss the Subaru. The money I save each month on gas is worth no where near the enjoyment I miss have the turbo charger.

My plan is to sell Mazda, ride the motorcycle all summer, and get back into a Subie this fall!

4. Rexarew

Rexarew Subie Girl

I never pay attention to the price of gas. I know I need to drive where I'm going so I know I need to fill up my tank. There is no point getting all bent outta shape about it since it's something I can not change. However, I do end up cutting back on other things that I don't really need so that I still have my spending $$!

5. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

good points. I think they took care of the battery thing in the newer ones. If I am correct, it was the older ones that had the super pricey battery. at least that is what my brother told me. him and his fiance just bought one.

could be wrong, but they said they asked around.

6. bhiku

bhiku Well-Known Member

It's a good thing we have so much to do around the in-laws old farm. Keeps us working all weekend rather than visiting. Visiting is a lot more fun, but we would sure have to budget the travel. I am also glad the winter gas is on it's way out as it seems the mileage is slowly starting to creep up (a very little bit).

But the gas prices are also a good impetus (for me) to be less lazy and get my mountain bike on the road. My wife has been biking to work most days for the last 3 weeks now, rain or shine, busy rural highway and small city.

On IMBA.com I found that Cliff Bar is contributing to a wind farm in S. Dakota. Every bit helps, eh.

7. hella_sti

hella_sti Well-Known Member

$40 a week per 200-230 miles is fine with me, I'm not going to sell my wrx and absorb the cost of buying/financing a new car just because I have to spend $.50 more per gallon. Drive a little slower and take the highway when you can and you'll offset that cost.

8. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

is winter gas truly a bit different? I noticed the other day that my mpg had gone up, got almost an extra 25 miles on the tank which was about 1 to 1.5 mpg increase, and I hadn't really done anything different with my driving habits. same gas station, same octane.

9. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

true...

you should post more, that avatar is pleasing to the eyes.

10. hella_sti

hella_sti Well-Known Member

hahah, ok

11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Also...FIRES! Ask Brian Shorten. Prius=FTL.

12. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

You know, in the 70's, hippies said that what we do to the environment will cause global cooling. Kinda wonder what they would say today now that everyone is all up in arms about Global Warming?
    [​IMG]

13. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

or this

[​IMG]

15. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

As was said in one post here the reason for the last 2 month rise in fuel prices is mostly due to the value of the US dollar slipping against other currencies. I haven't seen any mention of rising petrol prices on the BBC news.

I travel every week for work so I really only fill up my tank maybe once a month. I haven't been out in the past month so I've been filling up weekly but I still don't see a dent on my wallet much because I have a large budget for fuel and car expenses. Instead of saving up gas money to buy car parts I just had to spend it on fuel this month.

My folks hedged fuel a couple years ago for $2.19 a gallon or something and still have a bit left, probably enough to last through the summer and into next winter. Turned out to be an interesting investment...

16. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

THIS!

17. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Get this man a cookie. You get the gold star for the day.

Yes, winter gas has alot more ethanol in it, plus a bunch of extra addatives that the summer gas doesn't have. Then the summer gas has another whole blend of addatives that is supposed to burn cleaner (and less ethanol).

The other thing to remember, is the currently the refineries are also only running at 70% capacity as to create more demand. Likewise with the oil production itself. If you read the oil/gas articles every day, it will only take a week or so to see the trends/lies that are being fed to the people. Of course that really isn't much we can directly do about it.

Russ

18. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

people should read this over and over and over and over :biggrin:

19. '98 Legacy

'98 Legacy New Member

Do your parents own a farm, or some place that will allow a xxx-large container of fuel? Thats a great idea, and yes, an excellent investment.

20. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

No, there were companies/investment places that did this gas buy then years back. No one thought it would get this high back then, and not many people invested (pre bought there gas) i for one wish i would have now. :)

21. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

yes.. her name please???

22. TSTRBOY2004

yeah but gas sitting too long especially premium wouldn't be such a good thing... not sure what effect but hey...

23. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

This is pulled from reuters this after noon. This is the perfect example of why the general public is being scammed. Prove them wrong and take note of the knee jerk reaction to it.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A cargo ship hired by the U.S. military fired warning shots at approaching boats in the Gulf, the U.S. Navy said on Friday, underscoring tension in the region as the Pentagon sharpened its warnings to Iran.
    According to American defense officials, the Westward Venture cargo ship chartered by the U.S. Defense Department was traveling in international waters when two unidentified small boats approached on Thursday.
    After the boats failed to respond to radio queries and a warning flare, the cargo ship's security team fired "a few bursts" of machine gun and rifle warning shots, according to Cmdr. Lydia Robertson, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Navy's Bahrain-based Fifth Fleet.
    "The small boats left the area a short time later," she said by telephone. "They were able to avoid a serious incident by following the procedures that we use."
    The news helped push oil prices up more than $3 to $119.50 a barrel -- within striking distance of the record $119.90 hit earlier this week -- as traders worried escalating tensions in the region could eventually disrupt crude shipments.
    U.S. defense officials, speaking only on condition of anonymity, first said they suspected the boats were Iranian.
    But a Fifth Fleet spokeswoman quickly backed away from that charge.
    "We cannot speculate on who they are. We just don't know. We have no proof of who they were," said Lt. Stephanie Murdoch.

24. HoLsTeR

HoLsTeR Well-Known Member

i think it had to do with the idea that when the artic and antartic ice melts it will cool the waters and climates in normaly warm areas. its the right idea but not the entire picture.

25. TSTRBOY2004

well they just said on the radio that within 4 yrs the oil will be over $200 / barrel... start selling your cars guys... let me know what parts you are gonna remove and sell ;)

26. devildevil

devildevil Well-Known Member

My thoughts are what is the next president going to do to help this recession and gas prices? I never liked bush but why would someone who'll tear down our country this far to finish his father's war, and who owns oil fields of his own, do ANYTHING to help us now? IS IT FIXABLE EVEN? The checks to "help" the economy will most likely be spent on gas and bills by the majority of people. I work with a few people at the hospital who have to drive in so far to work that they are working for very little, and the hospital pays GREAT! Whats going to happen when people who have to commute like that are forced to quit their jobs because they can no longer afford gas to get there and driving is the only option of getting there...? IMO, in a few ways, its sounding like the 2nd depression is on it's way. Just start to think of next winter with house heating too!

27. TSTRBOY2004

its called cutting back on your lifestyle..... people piss and moan about not having money... hell we have raised 3 kids, owned and sold a business, bought a house, we are building another house in the next month, own 2 great vehicles... had a sportsbike... yada yada

my wife is lucky to earn $800 /mth working at the hospital PT, I earn between $500-$800 depending on ho wbusy we are.. so lately more like $500 or less / week...
    not to mention the 3 yrs we had our business we never drew $1 out of it personally (hence why we sold it) I got paid by doing sidework for club members real cheap!!!

stop f^&^%^& blaming Bush for everything... like any liberal president has done any better or ever will... they give it all away to minorities and unfortunately Caucasian isnt classed as one.. even though they are pretty much the biggest minority nowadays...

if everyone spent as much time and focus on changing the way they spend money as they do pointing their fingers at Bush and everyone else they may actually be able to do something usefull in life...

\heres a thought... if everyone when they think they have nothing began to be more generous to those whom dont have anything then we would all have less to complain about... but that would bring us into debating theology and belief systems and we wont go there....

28. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

Russ (WRX1) is definately right on this issue, from what I've read of his posts.

Spending more on a "new car" that gets better gas mileage, or dropping 1-10k on a bike makes no sense. You save money on gas, but ditch a car that in the long run would cost the same if not less. Saves you a lot of trouble in insurance on an extra vehicle/tax/tags too.

For those who cant handle gas prices, do something easy to offset it by ditching a regular habit. Quit smoking or dipping, space out buying mods, borrow friends movies instead of going to a theater or buying them, find ways to lower your bills (ditch cable and get an antenna, use less minutes on your cell phone, or call around for a better rate on your internet, put a timer on your HVAC unit. There are plenty of ways to try to save a few bucks, just get creative.

Oh, and bust out that dust covered bicycle, or go for a run.

29. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

And nate, amen brother.

If your car is something that entertains you, then factor that into your budget and pull out a couple of other "entertainment" items. Thats how I convince myself to save money on buying stupid ****, when I realize that it would buy me a timing belt, or a downpipe, etc.

30. TSTRBOY2004

Hey JAck.. you at Pendleton???

if so a son of a fellow employee just went to basic out there last week...

Brendan Mapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.