Gas Leak?!?! What?

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by jamusix, Dec 15, 2008.

1. redarrowrex

redarrowrex Active Member

sigh....

Ive got this problem again.

Originally had WBL do it in 04 and they replaced a fuel rail.

Now Ive got the smell again. Probably just a loose connection.

I just might spring for the repair though I hate to. However, I absolutely hate working on cars in the cold.

Too bad there isnt a way to do this with steel braided lines and connections and be done with it-

2. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

you could always buy a fuel line/fuel rail kit and install it.

otherwise I'd check the drivers side rubber hose connection located behind the A/C Compressor. the bottom connection would probably be the culprit. otherwise one of the the passenger side rubber connections that is located under the RAM intake scoop and in front of the fuel rail can leak.

the only other location that tends to leak is located under the turbo inlet, that one is a bumer to access...if you have the stock inlet hose

3. redarrowrex

Yep Ill check that quick.

Otherwise I think Ill have RS do the TSB if it continues. They seem straight up on the phone anyway-

Thanks

4. aspiringRexer

aspiringRexer Member

^ I'd check this before you take it anywhere. The line gets brittle from all the heat cycling of the turbo.

5. redarrowrex

Will do though it looks like it will be a little difficult.

The lines on the driver side look GTG but I loosened and retightened them anyway.

Would it make sense to wrap this line in some kind of heat wrap?

6. hella_sti

hella_sti Well-Known Member

I replaced mine under the inlet and it was a pain but it fixed my problem! It was -10 tonight when I started my car and there was ZERO fuel smell and dizzying fumes from the lines, its is so worth it not having to smell that crap! I'm really glad I did it, just do yourself a favor and get a aftermarket inlet when you take the stocker out, you'll thank me later.

7. jNorthWRX

jNorthWRX Well-Known Member

One of the lines under the inlet pipe is leaking pretty bad on the 04 wrx I picked up a couple weeks ago. I'm planning on fixing it next weekend I just need to decide if I want to remove the entire manifold and fix it the right way or order a new inlet pipe and do it the way hella_sti showed. If I do remove the manifold is it necessary to replace the hard lines like the TSB shows? Or just get some good new hose thats a little longer and maybe an extra set of clamps on there?

8. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

You would just need to do longer hoses.

After taking the intake manifold off... The price on an inlet tube looks pretty good!

9. hella_sti

I agree why not upgrade the inlet and make the job 100x easier in the process. Way easier then yanking the intake mani, I used double clamps on the longer section of hard line and single clamps on the shorter section (no room for doubles) you'll know wha tI'm talking about when you do it

10. kondan

kondan Active Member

So, an aftermarket fuel rail set will solve this problem? I'm taking the intake manifold out this weekend, but don't know if I should get just hoses and clamps because my car had fuel pooling on the cylinder head...WBL dealer told me I have to replace the left and right hoses/lines. :S

11. hella_sti

if you are gonna pull the intake mani off for some other reason just get the new fuel rails and buy some good injection line from napa. If you are just taking the mani off for the fuel lines replacement don't bother, just replace the inlet and the lines under it. I'm 99% sure that the fuel is pooling on teh passanger side correct?

12. kondan

kondan Active Member

It was pooling on the driver side.

13. 05cgmsti

05cgmsti Well-Known Member

ugh headache today from this. If it was the lines under the intake, would it make sense to smell the fuel only in the cabin and not under the hood? It is very strong in the cabin and it smells normal under the hood. It may be that im just dizzy.

14. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Member

15. KA-T_240

woot! I have been starting to notice this. Hopefully I can get this fixed while I have a another car to drive!

16. 3fordasho

3fordasho Active Member

Fuel leak under intake/passenger side

Awesome, I find out about the recall a day AFTER I take off the intake to fix this problem.
    Oh well, suppose it's easier to fix myself, no dealer in Mankato. I wonder if I could get SOA to cover parts?

Anyone know if the recall fix is the same one called out in the TSB that came out in '03?
    That one called for new steel fuel lines under the intake that are 30mm shorter and a rubber line that is 30mm longer.

17. 02WRXwagon

02WRXwagon Well-Known Member

when will dealers get the parts?

my car's been stinking it up again ... start car w/ fan off, vent to recirc until very warmed up before going to fresh air ...called dealer today, checked vin, and yes, my car will be covered, but they don't have parts yet ... they say, wait until letter arrives ... I say: call me when you get the parts.

18. 02WRXwagon

02WRXwagon Well-Known Member

update: called back, and asked if they had the parts for the recall, they did, so I've set up my appointment for Monday ... not sure if they're going to replace with full TSB parts including steel lines, or just use extended hose ... anyone here know?

19. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

i have a 02-03 wrx is this fuel line issue still covered under the tsb free of charge or do we have to pay out of pocket for it? i started to smell fuel comming from mine now that its got cold but i think it might have been an injector seal i messed with the injectors a little and the smell has ceased for the time being

20. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

do a search there made it a voluntary recall this week from soa.. there is a thread.

21. ENTICED

ENTICED New Member

how ironic, we were just talking about gas leaks yesterday=/

22. Bheims

Bheims Member

damn i just started getting this gas smell a few days ago...i hope this is covered under my aftermarket warranty

23. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

^^^ i forgot you had that warranty. Should be covered.

24. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

my 05 sti has this now... bad... ask sheen he was in my car when it started to get freezing cold.. it will get you high :)

25. Bheims

Bheims Member

haha yes it is quite strong, driving with the windows down is not fun

26. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

I have found that if you put the recirc on the smell is noticably less.

27. jamusix

jamusix Well-Known Member

I have found that getting the repair done fixes the smell AND the source of the smell.

:biggrin:

28. KA-T_240

My 03 is not covered under this recall............... epic fail

29. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

11am next wed it gets fixed!

30. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Give it a few years. Technicly your car had the fix from day one. It smelled eventually, and its going to smell again.

31. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

i prefer to huff gas in my car while driving... good thing i quit smoking... might have turned into a fireball on 494

32. hella_sti

I fixed my 2003 wrx with longer lines and still get the smell at temps of -20 and below, above that I do not though.

KA-t240 why was your 2003 not covered by the recall?!

33. KA-T_240

Vin number is not with in the specified range. I have a very late 03 model from what I can gather.

34. hobbsdt

hobbsdt Member

I'm fairly new to owning subarus, but this fuel problem is really ridculous. It is such a simple thing that they should have fixed at the factory, and it covers such a wide band of years.

Ford, chevy, toyota, etc... would have done a total recall on all the affected years and had the problem fixed at the factory within 2 years of the first affected model.

Anyway, I think subaru needs to get their game on a little bit if they expect to hold their reputation long term..