Gas Mileage Thread

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by h23, Apr 16, 2009.

1. h23

h23 Member

Well I haven't seen one of these on here before, and was curious to see what kind of mileage other members on here are getting?

On my vf34 WRX I'm managing 26.5 mpg mostly highway right now through winter and about 22 mpg city. Better than EPA :yumyum:

This May I'm going to try to go the speed limit when I head back home and see if I can hit 30mpg :biggrin:

2. drivingenthus

drivingenthus Member

vf30 22mpg when lucky, usually 20mpg with about half freeway driving... sucky

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

On my 06 WRX with 18g turbo;

I do basically all city driving (live in St Paul, work in Mpls). I average about 22 MPG in the summer and around 20 in the winter.

4. Subaru004

Subaru004 Well-Known Member

On my stock 05 WRX I'm only getting low 20's with mostly city driving

5. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

98GT i usually get a steady 24.8-25.5mpg

lots of highway driving

6. Ghost

Ghost New Member

2002 WRX, UP and TBE, no tune, I'm getting roughly around 26-27 MPG. Following the speed limit, I get around 28-29 mpg. Mostly HWY.

7. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

:ugh:

8. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

2003 wrx, pretty much same mods and same mileage. I rarely do any sort of spirited driving so that could account for such high gas mpg.

9. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

This, but with the TD04. All city driving and reverse locations (work in St. Paul, live in Mpls).

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Hybrid WRX swap with 824-834cc injectors on EVO3-16G-8cm^2 pump gas. I get 20-23mpg city/hiway and have gotten 25-27mpg hiway. I have a JDM 6spd tranny so RPMs are a little higher a tad but not much difference compared to from a 2.5RS tranny. Just a tad shorter overall in 6th gear compared to a 2.5RS tranny's 5th gear.

11. caffeine

caffeine Well-Known Member

Crap...I'm only getting 19 maybe 20 on my best tanks with my wagon.

12. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

On a lengthy trip to my parents' house over Easter (between 60 mph and 65 mph) - I had the ecu showing over 30 mpg instantaneous for most of the trip. I ended up getting just under 30---and NOT being a burden to traffic.

07 WRX, bullwinkle tune, K&N Drop-in, catless TBE.

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

I have sadly never gone out for a fuel mileage run ... in the winter I'll get 250-270 till the light turns on and in the summer I'll get 250-330 till the light turns on.

14. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

I have a lead foot, and average about 17 around town in my 16g wrx with 650 cc injectors. I can wring about 28 out of it on a roadtrip though.

15. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I know...It will be tuned by tonight!

16. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

haha, my foot is like a feather...I hate beating on my car... on the streets.

17. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

LOL, I get about 12mpg in the city, I think 20 on the freeway is a good guess. It doesn't take me long to get through a tank of gas.

18. Flexure

Flexure Member

I get low 20's. Havent driven it enough to know exact #'s though... My civic gets mid 30's though with a motor swap in it, and beating the piss out of it (low 40's if driven nice)...

19. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

in my bugeye, I was 24-26 city and 30-31 highway (whole bunch of mods), and now with the fxt I am averaging 23-25 mix of city/highway (100% stock). I am road tripping it this weekend and I will be able to get a good highway mileage.

Russ

20. jamusix

jamusix Well-Known Member

I knew I did this for a reason... gas mileage graph, May-Dec 08 (I bought the car in May, itemized gas receipts until end of 2008 for tax reasons).

21. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

stock 2.5RS, I'd say I averaged about 23mpg all winter.

I'm taking a road trip this weekend so I'll update once I return. I'm guessing 26~27mpg since I'll be driving up 35.

22. jamusix

jamusix Well-Known Member

^^ Oh yeah, and I was 100% stock all year... September was my Stage 1 tune.

Generally, the lower tank mileages are due to more city / spirited driving and the higher tanks mileages are due to more highway.

Notice how the car loves being in warmer temps for mileage...

23. mke723

mke723 Well-Known Member

2007 2.5i with bulwinkle tune, k&n filter, and light crank pully, best ever was 414 on a tank full to 20 miles after the light turned on, road trip to colorado, that was across flat boring nebraska at about 85 mph, average 26-28 normal spirited city driving.

24. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

I just manged over 28mpg on my trip to my parents for Easter this past weekend. Half country roads and small villages, the other half 4lane highway at ~72mph.
    2.0L vf39, 660cc injectors, and a poor tune that managed 270whp.

25. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

i get about 17 in my bone stock 94 legace turbo. i do need to replace the filler neck since it leaks if i fill it above 3/4 ful so i am sure i am loosing some to evaporation. i need to fix that soon.

26. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

so whats the key to these mpg figures. Do you shift at high or low rpm.....keep it in gear until stopped etc?

27. ps13drifter

ps13drifter Well-Known Member

i used to get around 27-29 when i went to school in mankato and came up to the cities most weekends. i've gotten 450some miles to a tank driving back from lspr and dropping and friend off at st. olaf, but i pulled into the gas station pulsing on fumes, i normally get 360 miles to a tank.

i notice a big difference when i force my self to NOT downshift through the gears pulling up to stoplights or whenever i slow down. if one pays attention it's amazing how early you can start coasting and for how long, it maybe adds up to 20 miles of coasting over a tank? the main key is to keep as little load on the engine as possible. if you have a boost gauge keep the needle as low as you can ;)

28. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Coasting out of gear FTW when it comes to getting good mileage. And for the best mileage, try to not chug along below 2k rpms. I've noticed the best instant mileage in my car is around 2500-2700 rpm.

29. SleeperWagon

SleeperWagon New Member

^^ Now that's interesting. Watching Top Gear this week, Jeremy Clarkson said that (modern) engines don't use any gas at all when compression braking (downshifting to slow rather than braking). Is that true?

For the record, I'm a lead foot getting up to the speed limit but don't speed past that by more than 3-7 mph and I was averaging 22-23 mpg this winter, 24-28 in the summer. (2.5i with intake, cbe, and light pulley)

30. readymix

While I can't give you a certain answer, I can give you my best guess. While keeping an eye on Injector Duty Cycle and Air Fuel Ratios with regards to RPM and 0% throttle:

During Deceleration...AFR goes off the charts (above 20:1), injector duty cycle is 0% across the board. Throttle position is obviously 0% and RPMs vary obviously since you are decelerating.

What does this tell me? That my injectors aren't pulsing at all, and the AFRs are incredibly lean (due to no fuel being added). So, as far as I know, during in gear deceleration, your car is not using any more fuel than at idle.

31. Bullwinkle

Yes, completely true. Your injectors are completely off when you are engine braking.

Yup, and that's how I know this. When engine braking, anyone with a permanent mount WB02 will notice that AFRs read max lean, this is because the O2 sensor is reading complete air and the injectors are not firing at all.

So, don't coast to a stop, as it uses more fuel then engine braking :).

32. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

This is every tank with my stock sti. I don't try to get good gas mileage and I don't have a boost gauge.

33. Lil Miss 2002.5

Lil Miss 2002.5 Active Member

My RS averages about 23-24 city and 26-27 highway

34. Flexure

Flexure Member

I managed 25 mpg on my last tank. Mostly highway miles, and very light on the throttle

35. jacbri

jacbri Well-Known Member

so engine braking +

what rpm is best for shifting, lower or higher?

I tend to wind out the engine a bit...3-4k without trying to boost.... not sure if this is correct.

36. Bullwinkle

Best thing you can do is get your boost gauge to zero (ie; no vaccum, no boost). Trying to "not boost" just wastes gas.

However, in all honesty, I bough a turbocharged full time AWD car, and then I heavily modified it to go fast. Personally, I don't worry about gas mileage :).

37. tamtalizied

tamtalizied Active Member

Holy Cow!!:eek4: You guys are getting way better milage than my LGT :eek3: I am avg. about 19-21 on my car, and my car is stock!!

38. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Nate. Good gas mileage is for the birds...

39. readymix

It also uses more brake pads.

40. SleeperWagon

SleeperWagon New Member

Are there any possible negative side effects of engine/compression braking? If so, what?

41. readymix

As long as you are revmatching your downshifts, you should be just fine. If you rev-match, there should be minimal wear to your clutch.

42. wrxin

wrxin Well-Known Member

same here. im always filling up.

43. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

Since i bought the car i have put 4600 miles on it and am averaging 16.8 mpg. But my work commute is 10 block, and need my car to run errands, wish they had a company car for me to use for errands. But i have achieved 27 mpg average on a road trip to the north shore the first weekend i had the car.

44. jinkm

jinkm Active Member

Bone stock 03 and I'm getting about 20-22 mpg.

45. mars_volta

mars_volta Well-Known Member

I regularly get 25+ in the LGT. As stated above, engine breaking with 0% throttle is key. I let off every downhill then easily roll back into the cruising throttle.