Gauging Interest 2003 WRX Wagon $3.5k

Discussion in 'For Sale : Car Parts' started by TchainT, Mar 15, 2012.

1. TchainT

TchainT Well-Known Member

Well, since im not mechanical, and since this car has been running me out of money and patience, I would like to at least see if there is any interest in it.
    The Good: Its a yellow wrx wagon.
    The Bad: everything else.

So, it had the CEL light on for a while, so I had my friend try and check it out. said it was misfiring.
    So i had new spark plugs put in. didnt work. Then i got some new coil on plug boots put on, along with a water pump and timing belt. didnt work. Then I took it to my boss's friend who ran a compression test and apparently it has like 70 pounds of pressure in one of the cylinders. So I havent really hardly drove it at all in the last 6 months.
    Also, last week I see that there is a large amount of coolant under the car. A lot.
    Lets see, what else? Oh, theres no AC in it at all. No AC compressor or lines or anything. Windshield wiper nozzles are gone. Theres also a heavily dented passengers side fender and minorly dented passenger side rear door from when a deer decided to use my car as a suicide device.

All in all, id honestly give this car like 3/10 or 4/10
    KBB says in fair condition its worth about 4,500 but this is not fair condition. Its pretty rough.
    I just have no idea what to value it at, so I figured maybe you guys would have some better ideas.
    So I guess this is more for some skilled opinion than it is to sell it for my asking price. I just ballparked it.
    If someone here does have an interest in it, Im down with a straight up trade, or maybe if you have a good running beater car, we could do that and a little bit of cash.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Hey Trent! Sorry about the misfortunes with the WRX.:( Maybe post up the mileage on it currently also? I'm guessing that the exhaust valves are shot as i'm assuming that you never had them relashed? The 02/03's are notorious for burnt exhaust valves and throwing misfire codes.

I wish you the best of luck with everything!

3. TchainT

Yeah I havent done anything like that. I dunno, it was fun for a long time but recently I just cant keep up on having to bring it to various people to diagnose stuff. Its better off with someone more mechanical at this point.

Oh, and the motor has 180k on it.
    Also, hi Josh!

4. tangledupinblu

Hi! Yeah, at 180k i'd pretty much put all of my money on the exhaust valves being shot. Mine were near death at 193,500 but i managed to dodge the bullet by putting a brand new motor in it. It would be about $1,000 or just over to get that taken care of for ya assuming that the exhaust valves are the only issue. Hard to say tho...

If you get a chance, post some pics of the body damage. This would make a good project car for someone. Hope that you get everything figured out brotha!

5. TchainT

Yeah pics will come this weekend.

6. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Auto? Manual?

7. TchainT

Manual

8. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Not trying to low ball you completely ignore my offer if it seems offensive. Getting the door and fender fixed/replaced won't be cheap with paint etc and getting the motor fixed most likely won't be either. That being said pending your pics I'd be willing to offer $2,000

9. TchainT

Yeah im not offended or anything. This is why I came here and made the thread you know? Cause I just dont know what to really price on it. Probably going to wait a bit and see what people say or see what other kinds of offers if any come in.

10. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

I would do the same thing. I bought a pretty well stripped/salvaged WRX for the same price a few years ago to swap into my 02 RS and found many expensive "unknowns" in the process. It had 8 bent valves, oil cooler/filter threads were broken out of the block, one of the cams was broken etc. It was a headache but in the end I am happy that I did it. I guess I just like a good project, shoot me a message (conversation) if you want to accept my offer later. I hope you have better luck with your next car, and don't hate Subaru for it!

11. TchainT

Thats the thing, you know. Im really not much more mechanical than changing oil, so i have no clue how many potential problems are here. And as far as Subaru goes, if i get any offers for subaru trades, im all on that. Plus im probably going to put the money i get from the sale into another car. Most likely a Subaru again :) But maybe a small truck. Ill be sure to let you know

12. tangledupinblu

I wish that you weren't out in BFE. Or are you in Plymouth? I could try to swing by and take a look at it.

13. Bnuts01

Bnuts01 Well-Known Member

I'd buy this for fun but I don't have any monies. :( glws

14. TchainT

Hey, St Cloud is not BFE! Well, kind of. Cause thats where im living. And also, as an update, after fully explaining the situation to multiple people and mechanic guys, its most likely a valve problem apparently, and Im really not wanting to go through with that headache and cost. So +1 to Josh for calling that one!

15. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I'd trade my wagon and cash for this, but I can't have two cars down and none driving. Someone will pick up a fun project.

16. Bnuts01

Bnuts01 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my car. Valve was broke.

17. wrx 08 Sedan

wrx 08 Sedan Member

sent you pm

18. TchainT

Pics of the damage. Also, this has turned from a gauging interest to a "Yes, its for sale" thread. So. Theres that

014.jpg 017.jpg 016.jpg 014.jpg 017.jpg 016.jpg 014.jpg 017.jpg

19. TchainT

Also, after remember some stuff, theres also no AC in the car. and the two plastic pieces that go around the rear interior door handles are gone. and theres no windshield sprayer nozzles either. so. Thats 3 more bad things about the car. I suppose I should say something good about it now. It has new tires!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  20. tangledupinblu

Lmao...that's all small insignificant stuff. Sorry again to hear that you're getting rid of it.:( If i was in the position to buy it, i'd take it off of your hands right now! GLWS brotha!

21. TchainT

Thanks. It was a lot of fun while it lasted though.

22. tangledupinblu

^No doubt! So my above statement of $1,000 to fix it was JUST to have the heads redone(if you did ALL of the labor yourself)...it would probably be closer to $2,500 for all of the stuff including labor. That could be a low number also if you did any internal damage. The best thing to do would be to contact RS Motors and get a quote. They've done all of the really heavy work on my car and have never failed me once!! Costs really vary tho depending on the damages done.

23. TchainT

24. TchainT

One more bump

25. TchainT

Last bump

26. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

My offer still stands, just let me know.

27. TchainT

Yeah I just dont think I can go down to 2k though

28. tangledupinblu

Bump for joo mang!;)

29. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

any rust yet?

30. tangledupinblu

Also, if anyone is interested in this car, i have the doors to replace the damaged ones and also the passenger front fender as well. They are WRB, but dent free! Also have a wagon roof rack for it. If i could swing it, i'd buy this car in a second! Maybe we could work out a payment plan???:D

31. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

is this still for sale... I may have an intrest... Where is the car located... St Cloud or Plymouth?

32. tangledupinblu

St. Cloud...pretty sure that it's still for sale and he babied this thing. Also, i still have the pieces tro fix the dents.;) I was going to buy it off him because it's so damn cheap! But i'z still unemployed...so it would be a stretch.

33. Swych

Swych Well-Known Member

i would consider a trade for my motorcycle but i'd need some cash too. if interested pm me. i need a project car to start on.

34. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

tangledupinblu likes this.
  35. BadlandsRacer

BadlandsRacer Well-Known Member

Paint it black and I'll get it.

36. tangledupinblu

Get it and paint it black.

37. BadlandsRacer

BadlandsRacer Well-Known Member

Take 3 grand off the price so I can afford to lol.

38. tangledupinblu

Three grand!? You can buy spray paint for like $60. Throw in a roll or two of masking tape for about $10 and you've got a black bugeye for an additional $70. lol

39. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

I may have some interest... Is it able to make it to Brooklyn Park on its own?

40. tangledupinblu

This would be a perfect fit for you Dean. Would be a nice addition to the family.

41. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

That's just it, if the motor hadn't given up, I'd say the car is worth around 3.5k and safe to drive that distance.

But with the cost of fixing or replacing the heads (1-4k depending on extent of damage) and the cost of a tow, that $2k offer from Deride is generous in my opinion. This is all assuming it's just burned out exhaust valves causing both the low compression and misfire code. If there's an issue with the bottom end as well, then you're looking at the top end of the previous estimate and then some.

OP, sorry to say it but you're either going to have to fix it, sell it and hope to come out even on the repair bill or hope really really hard that someone is willing to take a rather large risk at putting themselves in the hole at the price point you're looking for. You could probably safely get around 1.5k if you parted it out, which fwiw, is at the top end of what I would offer for this car. You seem like a very honest and straightforward person and I wish you the best in whatever direction you end up taking, but I hope you can understand how I can't in good conscience recommend someone I know pay 3.5k for this as it currently sits.

fwiw, the last 02 wrx wagon I helped a friend buy that had similar body damage, no mods, full maintenance history, no cels, and a happy motor was purchased for $4.5k a year and a half ago locally.

42. Swych

Swych Well-Known Member

im willing to go a little bit above what idget said on price just cause i know you were looking for more, but all depends on actual condition and if the parts i need are in good shape to be honest but im more than willing to bring a car trailer up and check it out, pm me and we can work something out

43. TchainT

Sorry for delayed response guys. No rust yet. It probably cannot make it to Brooklyn Park on its own. If it does, It would have to frequently stop before it overheats. Also, screw painting it black. Just get some duct tape with flames on it and cover the car!

44. tangledupinblu

I would never paint it black...Sonic Yellow is too rare to do that to it.

sgrtits likes this.
  45. TchainT