Gauging Interest: Moving Forward......

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by tangledupinblu, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bummpy

bummpy New Member

I'd donate to help pay hosting expenses.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I've been wondering about alot of this stuff since I began planning the La Crosse Cruise for this summer. The costs of this type of event are growing! It takes a fair amount of money for rental fees, caterers, etc. As of right now it looks like the pavillion+caterer are the best/easiest way of going about this event. I personally don't have $100's of my own to fund this thing. I just thought if we could come up with ideas as a club to support future events with merchandise/donations/annual fees or whatever, then it would make it easier to have more events because the funds are already there to use! Like I've said before, this is just to get some ideas/opinions on the future of this club and its events.:)

Not to be a smart-arse. But $50 is less than a dollar a week!? Why is this such a huge deal to people? I would give up a Mountain Dew a week to have more/bigger events to attend!.....and have change left over.:p

3. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Evan, you can't post with an outdated car avator;)

4. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Thus the biggest problem of the pavillion (sorry to go off topics) at a diner buy your crap with your own money, ect ect

5. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

more things off the top of my head...

club membership needs to stay free

voting for club leadership positions cant be just for people that would be paying

there definitely needs to be some open voting on club leadership positions

no one even comments on vinnumber buying and taking over the club?!?!?

6. tangledupinblu

Well 3ric, let me elaborate...I spoke with the owner of the diner and he said although his place will accomodate the amount of cars right now, he doesn't know if the diner can accomodate the # of people.

Ex. Right now there are 58 cars signed up. 2 people/car is 116 people trying to order rootbeer floats/burgers/etc. at the same time. Even if we have half of the cars ordering at once, it is alot for them to keep up with! The diner has been my #1 choice since the beggining...but at the same time, a caterer like http://www.roosterandys.com, would be able to have lunch ready upon arrival in La Crosse. Which leaves more time for bs'n and site seeing or what-not. I like the diner because it is easier for me! Don't have to get a caterer lined up/payed for and all that. Pay for your own burger might be easier with 20 cars though.:emo:

7. AWDimprezaL

well first off its 3riK ;) and you win LOL i see where you are coming from.

8. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I'm not here to pee on your parade, but let me let you in on a little secret. You wont get 58 cars, and you wont get 116 people. You might get half that. This place has a problem with what I've so affectionately coined, "handraisers." These people will raise their hand and say "Oh yeah, I'm totally down with this." But on the day of the event, they don't show up. Do a search for "EJ22T teardown" and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. Typically, you can expect about half of the people that said they'd go to actually show up day of the event. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but that is just how it is. What you need to do is start a new thread and ask people that are "FOR SURE" coming to rsvp you, and have the admins delete any posts that say "I might make it, not sure." or "I'd love to come to this." If they don't say 'count me in' or 'I'm for sure going' then you should assume they are NOT going.

9. readymix

Bottom line, don't plan events around anyone that isn't willing to commit to the event. Unless they say they are FOR SURE going, do not count them or add them to the list of people on the first post. You will only disappoint yourself. If they can't roger up and commit to the event, then you shouldn't have to schedule resources around them. If they show up and go, well they should have told you for certain they were going, sorry, go eat at McDonalds. If they say they aren't sure and you count them and they don't go, then you've got an empty seat that you might actually have to pay for out of pocket because it was reserved.

10. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

yeah i'm totally game for the la crosse trip.

well maybe

11. tangledupinblu

I know of the handraisers that you speak of. Now that the date has been set for the event, people need to reserve the date on their calendars. I will be getting a RSVP list going soon! I've just been waiting because until the date was set in stone, I couldn't ask anyone to commit. Now the date is set...June 23rd, 2007, if you can't make it, let me know.

Jason, this is part of the reason I was asking about everyones imput on the fee thing. So the next guy doesn't have to stress on figuring out how to come up with the m0nies to pay for everything. I may need people to rsvp with a donation or deposit so less people will back out last minute...but still working on the details! Btw Grimm...very funny!^^^:biggrin:

12. readymix

you fail.

13. readymix

That's why you charge the people that commit to go...not collect money from the whole club. Which goes back to what I said about people that don't participate in the social events not wanting to pay for them and vice versa. If you collected 50 bucks from a bunch of people, then used it to pay for catering for an event that some of the contributors didn't go to, you'd be in a heap of **** for it. At least as far as I'm concerned, I'd be asking for my money back. Charge the people that are planning on going to the event for the event and you'll be fine. Make this an RSVP thing, collect their 10 bucks, and you should be golden. Since you are doing this event, you can figure out what you need, and any money you make extra, donate to the site bills. You are ultimately in charge of this event, and I'd be fine paying you 10 bucks for catering if I knew you were the one organizing it. Plus, making people pre-pay kinda locks them into the event since they've invested. Even better, make it non-refundable, that way they only pay in if they are for sure going. Keeps the handraisers away.

14. tangledupinblu

:laugh:
    I agree...and the non-refundable was the original plan. No matter if they show or not, I'll have to pay for their plate. So non-refundable is the only option in my mind!

Maybe the annual fee is a far shot for the club, but I thought that these things were important to discuss. And I do believe that most people would like to see the club grow and become more eventful! So hopefully we can come up with some good ideas as a group!

15. k_thaosta

k_thaosta Well-Known Member

This place needs to stay free... It was open as a public forum to the local people and it needs to stay that way... Otherwise we might as well be going back to our old NASIOC forum thread in the Midwest Category (I think this was how it all started)... It was huge then with information and events all in one thread, and this is even bigger and better... Maybe it has gone a little downhill like what Brian had said but this forum needs to be free... I can see the need to have people contribute for updates, fees, maintenance, whatever it may be - but it's been said here, there is no justification to make it an annual fee... If you want to contribute, just paypal or give your contributions to the admins on this site or buy a sticker or sweater...

As far as events go, do it like the Hmong people, when you go to a relative's house for a party, just bring something... Whether it's pop, a helping hand, or just showing up to eat/drink, at least YOU showed up... and you can be a little proud to say that you attended something for the family...

In reality, as long as we all just show up some time or another maybe not together, whether it be here on the forums, at an event, or at Firestone, we can be alittle proud as a local MN Subaru Forum family... and from what I've seen on other forums, not all, there isn't really much to be proud of...

My 2 cents

Man, this thread grew fast....;)

16. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Why am I on the LaCrosse list again? lol.

17. tangledupinblu

hahaha...I'll remove it, you seem upset!:p It has been there since you posted in the thread..btw. Still....joo should come with!;)

18. wall of tvs

just because I posted in that thread doesn't mean that I was planning on going, lol.

:p

19. tangledupinblu

Just had the hope of the Wagon attending...better let the wifey know, she might want to bring the Leg.:hsdance: You could atleast ride along with the mixx or 3rik!? WTF?

20. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

+1

I just dont see the need to pay money anually, not now atleast. If you need more donations for hosting and projects like t-shirts, stickers ect. ide be MORE than willing to donate.

21. jtoy

jtoy Well-Known Member

If this type of arrangement is in place, I'll donate funds. Anywhere there is a pool of money, there is money mismanagement.

22. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

i agree with the majority, right now the club does not need a donation of $50 per year, especially when we all pay for the meets ourselves, for those that attend.

23. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence.:emo:

Russ

24. jtoy

jtoy Well-Known Member

Sorry 'bout that, I didn't mean it specifically toward you or this site. Just my general life observation after having been around the block a few times (also probably tainted by the fact that all we hear in the news is the bad stuff).

Ok, ok dammit I can't stand to see the crying smiley, I'll donate anyway.

25. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

Whoever is complaining about lack of events, go make up something to do and do it. I see nothing but potential for doing all sorts of events, but sitting around someones garage doing free work on someone's car is about all I've seen anyone come up with thus far as an "event," and fun as that is sometimes there isn't a point to the site planning such things when clearly the members can do it themselves.

how about racing? plenty of those every summer, yet a paltry amount of club members bother stopping by. there are more NON subaru club members showing up at motorsports events driving subarus than there are members. Anyone who wants to plan something is welcome to do so, but this is a subaru based discussion forum, not a subaru related lifestyle planning area, there is not a club charter stating a mission of constant subaru related events anywhere, its up to the members to make things to do if they choose so.

You guys are members. Make up stuff to do thats fun and we will do what we can to help, but it isn't the site's job to plan tons of events, its up to the members of the site more than the people running the site.

26. wall of tvs

word x fourteen

Couldn't agree more.

27. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Yah, if the website needs funding, I'll donate.

I try to get to some events when I can, but I'm otherwise too busy for most Firestone nights.

I think a $50 membership fee would be hard on newbs coming into the suby community. Not to mention me wondering where my $50 is actually going.

I don't think Chin is right about there needing to have more technical talk. I wouldn't bother coming here if thats all it was is. 1, this board would be slow as hell if it were all *******s tied up into a knot, only having serious technical discussion. 2, There's just not enough volume and members for that kind of site.

3, I come to socialize with some guys who like Subaru's and maybe learn something, mostly waste time. You actually make friends here by talking and going into "OT" mode. Something that is, most of the time, more important than just talking "shop".

Some people can't handle/don't like internet forums and the "OT" type environment. It's here if you want it, but its also fairly easy to avoid(sometimes). I don't see this as a just learn how to wire an ECU and then forget about the person who helped you, type of site.

If you want to remain faceless and just a bunch of scribbled text in a db somewhere, stick to NASIOC or other forums.

If you want to meet some cool peeps. Learn about some other crap and maybe make a friend or two. Stick around here and participate in random discussions. You'll get much more out of it than, which BOV should I buy?:yumyum:

28. Tcat55371

Tcat55371 Well-Known Member

Well guys

I'm one of the old guys here (and by that I mean 50yrs old) I don't do much with the club. I show up when I can and it's great to see the cars and the folks behind them. I think it's great to see everyone involved in cars and having someplace to get together. I've been in a few clubs around here and still in acouple but not active. I think 50.00 is to much, I think 30.00 is a better figure. If you look at costs for the board and to sell stuff, oh dont forget the discounts that Morries gives consider all of it. I pay my dues at MSRA and thats 25.00 but you get a monthly flyer that list the stuff for sale, pictures of the crusies and pages of ads from local vendors. I know it's a lot of work for some people thou to get it all together. A couple cars shows in the summer and charge people 5.00 to enter their cars and have it open to evryone or just the club and do some classes. I may be able to get you deals on some trophys.

As for the events whoever is setting them up tell the people they need 50.00 or whatever the price for the food in advance and that will get you a rough idea on who is really going to show. The people that come after a cut off date will be on thier own for food or whatever. You cant say you didnt warn them.

The times I have showed up over the past couple years I have met some great guys and seen some really nice cars and I like seeing what you guys have done to them. It's great to keep the sport up. I have no problem paying something to keep the board going, it's a great resource.

Dont want to rock the boat any and this is just my 2cents.

John

29. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Slight subject jump...

Another club I belong to (Sedan Delivery) sell tickets for major events. I think the Christmass party was 15 a person. When you showed up, they refunded your money. If you don't show up they keep it. I was a catered event, rented room and all that.

30. AWDimprezaL

^ that would work, but as soon as you start charging for firestone im outta here

31. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The paypal account one can throw duckets into at their leisure is a great idea. I'd donate something.

I'll also agree that events are tough. For someone like me thats makes the bulk of their income on the weekends, attending events ccan be a serious challenge. I really want to go on the lacross cruize, but my opportunity cost gets real high real quick. The ice race was a $400 weekend for me.

Personally, I'd like to see more random BBQ's and such. I can think of a great place for one here in shaktown. THe nice thing about a BBQ is everyone is responsible for bringing their gub/whatnot. I don't even want to think about trying to organise a caterer for a large group, especially when the actual #'s are wishy washy.

32. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

OK....I was going to stay quiet, but many have read too far into my post. Was it a little harsh? Yes. Did I say I wanted to leave? No. Did I comment on the OT 'crap'? Yes. Did I say everything should be technical? No. Do I really care what a few overly critical people think of me? No. If you want to be my friend, am I gonna be yours? Probably... (little bit of humor there)

What I was trying to get at with the 'OT' comment is that it is unbelievable (in all fairness, this is not limited to this site) how many threads go into the garbage with people posting nonsense. There have been many cases where a informational thread turns to crap, then I find out later that I missed something because I chose not to follow it anymore.

I have no problem supporting the site, but I am here for the site, not social events outside it. As I stated, I have no problem with people using the site to set up events, but requiring people to pay to be members of the site implies that some entity owns it....

Zak, adds a point that I missed...there are other events that people don't attend. Why not try to piggyback on established events? (I realize some of that already happens). As many know, my focus has been AutoX and HPDE/Time Trials (not so much of tis lately, but it is back in the plans) and if people want to attend those events, great! I will be there to help people get up to speed (hehe, pun intended) and share my knowledge.

I don't find it interesting to go to a picnic that I know 1-2 people at. That is not the same for many of you and that is your choice, but don't force it on me.

Anyway... :)

33. readymix

Nobody is forcing picnics on you. And on that same token, I don't want HDPE/Track days forced on me. I think ultimately, it works fine the way it is where each person picks their event and pays for it individually. I don't see the point in donating to the club for any reason other than to pay site bills...otherwise what do they need money for?

34. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, it is nice the the club has a little money to pay for some of the extra things. Such as the t-shirt/hoodie/sticker things. I paid for the t-shirts and the club had to pay me back. Once we got around to the hoodies it was nice that the club had almost all the the money to cover the hoodies so I didn't have to try and pay for 80 hoodies with my money.

Now with the lacrosse cruise, I think the club is going to pay for the shelter so the users only need to cover food and drink. That will help keep everyone's costs down. Without the club accepting donations, the club user's cost will go up.

Also, if anyone is interested in making club donations, we have our own paypal site. Just shoot us a paypal to [email protected] and make sure you include some kind of description what the money is for. Thanks for everyone's support.

Russ

35. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

My whole point wasn't just targeted for you. It was in general. I just disagree;)

36. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

on another note, it is sad that since not being able to get on here everyday all day I have realised there is life outside of this forum.... yes yes Sacrilidge I know, but regardless whether this forum dies or flies, I would rather be involved with a CLUB that has more organisation, direction and events... people are pissy about $1 a week.... aint that bad if it helps to grow a forum we all USE freely....

If you believe in something your money will be proof... and besides I think it would be more of a free to post still but maybe have a Members Only section.. have seen it on many other more organised and successful sites...

Besides..a s far as I understand it it isnt about making this a pay to play forum but to allow this forum to step into a NEW chapter beyond 'Firestone' and stuff and have actual club events / meetings... that are run and attended with maturity and safety....

And others say businesses should advertise on here... well I dont kind but I can tell you then any services I offer will be like a dealer... 10-20% the NORMAL shop price... not my usual half prie deals... so who does that hurt more... the business or the forum members.... also then if a business has to pay to advertise then NO-ONE else should be able to earn money off their services on the site or through the site... that is the joy of paying for that right.. sounds fair to me...!!! just a thought...

I for one am excited to get back home form my holiday, but again Firestone doesnt beckon me, neither does the asian restuarant or Drunken install nights... (great if you are into that sort of stuff), but I want to see a CLUb that grows from this great Forum... not a forum that people think is a car club.... BIG DIFFERENCE between the 2 words and their meanings...

Josh, great to see your enthusiasm but somehow it may be wasted on many on this site... we can talk with some others when I get home and settled back in and see what other things we can do to see a Club evolve in Minnesota....

37. TRUBLU

TRUBLU New Member

I would love to jump in and have my say after being involved in many successful clubs. But, I haven't been a member here 6 weeks yet so lets just consider this post a subscription to this thread.

38. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

you read everything i said the wrong way. i'm done explaining myself. the only thing i'll say in response to you is that i AM happy with the new mods. i am talking about voting for everything pres, treasurer, admins, etc if we go that route.

oh...and stated earlier this particular forum IS the "club".

39. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

edit...

40. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say alot of people on this forums has taken the responsibility to make it the mnsubaru we see it today. I have no idea how much time they have put in, or out of pocket cost or personal time spent so we can communicate here. Since I have joined I have learned a few things and have made new friends. The best part is having a helping hand locally to assist me when I'm between a rock and a hard place. I have benefited from everyones experience and input along with the discounts estiblished.

As far as the subject is concern, I personally dont have an issue donating a few bucks. As I already do with other forums or clubs that I'm associated with, regardless of how much activity I may have with them, the benefits are there. Perhaps a little support and motivation may take us a long way.

And I want to appoligize to the staff who is in charge of maintaining our forum for neglicting my responsibilities and thank you for your continued efforts, looking forward to many more years with the forum or club how ever you look at it.

41. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I, for one, love the club as it is. it is, first and foremost, a resource for information. and occasionally members arrange events, all of which, you pay your own way.

I don't understand what the extra money would allow that we don't already have.

sure, it would be cool to have our own insurance policy etc. so we could HOST motorsports events, but there are tons of events like this already in existence, let's just make a GROUP effort to attend.

42. 1fastwagon

1fastwagon New Member

I have to say that I would be willing to pay a few bucks to see this forum move forward, but like a number have pointed out theres a long way to go before I'd feel comfortable about what I was paying for.

I do have to say that today was one of the first times that I felt good about being part of this club. In an effort to experience a stage 2 STi, badbennyb allowed me to take his car out for a spin. Did we know each other prior to this event...by screenname only. But as a fellow club member, he was willing to help out a guy that has had very little modding experience and was just looking for some validation that stage 2 is worth it...on a sidenote, it is :)

Not that I haven't gotten a lot out of useful information, a little technical assistance (Nate) and a few deals here and there...but I've also been flamed a few times as well (some warranted, but others definately not). I don't need that shiz...I can call up a friend and have him call me out as a total d-bag.

43. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I keep hearing this phrase....'move forward'.....what the heck does that mean? WHAT do you have in mind that would require a membership fee?

44. 1fastwagon

1fastwagon New Member

"Move Forward" -> this was merely a weak attempt to quote the original thread subject. I'm merely stating that I'd be willing to "pay to play" if that was what was asked of me, and I saw good reason to do so. But, in the second part of my opening statement I poorly expains that I don't see reason to do so today, backing up what I've essentially summarized from a good hours worth of reading.

45. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

And again, what will it take??

There is probably 10-12 responses that say they will pay when they feel it is worth it, but there is not 1 response that says what they want. Without inout from the members, it is hard to go forward. Some people think that just by getting some new mods that everything is going to change. Nothing is going to change till the members step up and start going to the events, helping in the events, hosting events, and planing events. The club is willing to help out, but without ideas coming in from the members, don't bitch about the club not doing anything.

The members make the club and when the members don't do anything, the club doesn't do anything.

For those that have donated, thank you very much.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.