General note about CarFax and similar services.

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by prezawagon, Dec 18, 2007.

1. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

This comes up from time to time on the site, but we don't allow the sharing of paid services (like carfax) when doing so is a violation of the services terms of service. The reason for this is that we don't want to open up MNSubaru to any liability.

I realize most people who ask for or offer to share these services have good intentions, and this isn't meant to punish or single out anyone. But we can't use this site to faciliate the misuse of other company's services. The moderators will try to be consistent in handling this to the best of our ability.

As always feel free to contact any of the moderators with any questions and/or comments.

Thank you.

2. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Question: Without reading the terms of carfax, if such transactions were taken to a PM would that be considered a violation?

Example: (New Post) I have a vin number, could someone run a report for me? (all actions from the post are done via PM)

Not trying to be a pain, just figured more then me would wonder that.

3. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

well, IANAL, but the terms of service for carfax prohibit redistribution of the service. So, that post would be asking someone to violate their TOS with carfax for you. I think if we allowed that on the site then mnsubaru could be viewed as facilitating the theft of carfax's service. (if a real lawyer wants to chime in here, please feel free.)

So, you're right in that your request wouldn't violate carfax's TOS since you don't have an account with them. But we're not going to allow that because it's facilitating a violation of their TOS basically.

So, either offering or requesting services like carfax isn't allowed on the site. That would fall under illegal activity in the site rules. Since sharing accounts is illegal to the best of our knowledge, we're not going to allow it.

4. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Thank you. sticky?