Getting TSB work done on a modded car

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Zola, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I wonder if I should even bother trying to get this service done...there is a TSB for the MY02 WRX (attached below) regarding a leak from one of the fuel pipes in really cold weather. It's been cold at times this winter, but my car usually doesn't spend much time sitting outside. Last night though, it sat for about 3 hrs at a friend's house while we watched hockey. On the way home I caught a whiff of gas in the cabin while idling at a stoplight, then when I popped the hood after getting home, it was really obvious.

They'd have to pop off the intake manifold to do it, so they would definitely see that my green brackets of death are gone and that I have different injectors. Anyone think it's worth taking in, or would they just make me pay for it? The car is still within the 3yr/36,000mi by the way.

Joel

[​IMG]

2. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I would bring it in. Technically, that can't say no, because you didn't modify that part. That is part of the factory fuel rails (which is still stock). If they start to complain, just tell them that if the car starts on fire because the fuel rails leak, that when your car goes up in flames, you will be owning te dealership.

Russ

3. SKullman

SKullman Well-Known Member

Wow excellent timing!!

I have been smelling fuel like crazy since Wednesday, I was going to heat my garage and take a good look to see if I could find anything.

On a side not looking yesterday I found a mouse nest under the manifold on on the block...scary in its own right.

Shane Kullman
    '02 WRX Blue

4. SKullman

I just got off the phone with White Bear Subaru...SOA wasn't prepared for the demand, they are backordered on the parts.

They are hoping to get them later next week. He also says SOA firmly believe there is not enough fuel leakage to cause an engine fire.

Scary.

Shane Kullman
    '02 WRX Blue

5. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Wasn't prepared for the demand....ahahaha. They only sold somewhere around 20,000 MY02s. SOA really pisses me off sometimes. :(!

Is it the same story at Morrie's or Bloomington? Maybe I should call at lunchtime...

6. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

But how much fuel does it really take?? If you can smeel it, you would think there is enough to get a little something going.

Russ

7. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Well Bloomington doesn't have the parts either, so I'm assuming no one in town does.

8. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

The ODI (Office of Defects Investigation) at NHTSA already knows about this issue and has started a preliminary investigation. I just called their toll free number and filed a complaint. The guy who recorded my information seemed fairly confident that this would result in a recall at some point. They've received about 20 complaints so far. I'd recommend filing a complaint, Shane. You can do it online too.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p..._number=PE04002&type=QuickSearch&summary=true

9. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I have never recieved any notices on my car. Hell, as fas as I know my warranty is already up and I don't have the 3 year/36000 miles yet. I recieved a notice back in November about have to pay an aditional $300 or something crazy to keep my warranty going, or it will expire in Dec. Of course, nobody ever returns any of my calls.
    I would also like to get this fixed even though I don't drive it in the winter (as of now).

Russ

10. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Another way to fix it seems to be simply tightening down the clamps that hold the hose on the fuel pipe. Apparently this can be done without removing the intake mani UNLESS you are unlucky and the clamps are turned downward toward the engine block where you can't reach them. I will be checking tonight at home.

11. Mark Holden

Mark Holden New Member

12. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Joel whats a green bracket of death? :)
    Thanks for posting this, I've been smelling it for the past couple days, I thought I had gas on my coat.:D

13. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

The GBODs are the greenish metal guards that cover the injectors. Apparently 2004s don't have these anymore. They got the nickname from the first people who upgraded injectors and found them difficult to remove. If you have the right tools though, they're not that hard. I didn't put mine back on, so I got the 4 lb weight reduction benefit. :)

14. SKullman

I didn't even think about mods, I have the TXs Stealth back...think they'll argue?

NHTSA form filled out. Trying for another appontment today...

Shane Kullman
    '02 WRX Blue

15. Mark Holden

Mark Holden New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

Well Bloomington doesn't have the parts either, so I'm assuming no one in town does.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Morrie's Brooklyn Park just fixed mine. They wouldn't make any promises about parts or service until they diagnosed the problem first. Which they did and all is well. They found my oil leak too (oil pump, apparantly).

They haven't been able to reproduce my clutch issues (so far) though :(

16. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I had clutch shudder really bad my first couple months with the car. Its gone away though, maybe its just me subconciously (sp?) learning to adjust for it. Or I wore out a few layers of clutch.

17. Mark Holden

Mark Holden New Member

Mine comes and goes. When it's acting up it's enough to make my wife carsick from the choppy clutch hookup. When it's not, it's fine. Apparantly it's fine right now. WIll probably be back to suck next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.