GI: GC8, STi swapped and built project

Discussion in 'FS: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats' started by curly2k3, Jul 24, 2021.

1. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by stating this fact, I do not NEED to sell the car. I have had it for ages and have no problem keeping it in the garage as nice art to look at when I walk out to the GTI.

With that said, I have not had the time, energy or effort required to button up the car and finish it off.

Every time a picture of it is posted on bookface, I get inundated with messages and have had 3 or 4 people that were coming with cash and a trailer to buy it, but no one has ever actually even come out to look at it, as is tradition.

The car was a trade about 10 years ago now for my 9-5 Aero wagon, I made the trade as it was basically my dream build already started, but the far dropped a valve guide in the original EJ20G a couple hundred miles back from Iowa and has just had money, time and tabs thrown at it since. The car has been in the state as shown below for almost the entirety of my ownership.

its a 1996 Impreza sedan (I believe, could be hazy on specific year this point, honestly) that was originally swapped and built by garage tuning.

The car was repainted at some point after the swap, color change from red to "Bentley black" and has the full V3 body kit present.

Block is a v4 EJ20k block with STi RA-R ported and polished HLA heads, as FujiK can attest, these things are beefy ports, larger than double d's and were built by STi for record attempt cars.

The block was reassembled with Cometic head gaskets and ARP head studs and has been converted to newer coil packs with aftermarket leads.

Turbo is the big 16g, has up-pipe, large downpipe and full exhaust

Suspension was sent out to BC and rebuilt around a decade ago as well, but its their big 40mm inverted (iirc) coilovers with their track focused spring rates. It also has Whiteline swaybars, endlinks, and antisquat/antidive.

Brakes are 4/2s from an 06/07 so they clear 16" OEM GC wheels

Interior is mostly USDM RS with the exception of the Nardi wheel (signed by Ken Block if you're into that) and the Defi gauge and controller. It does have some aftermarket stereo stuff, but nothing of note in today's day and age.

The paint is not perfect, it needs to be cut, buffed and waxed for sure after all this time. Interior needs to be shampoo'd and vacuumed. Brackets are needed for the coil rails (folded metal would suffice) and the oil and coolant hoses need to be finished up and block topped off with the intercooler and everything.

The major reason why I lost time/interest is the clutch.

It has an aftermarket clutch and flywheel and despite throwing numerous weekends at it with different professional techs, myself, and video chatting with Matt Monson and others, we cannot figure out why the clutch is more or less an on/off switch that lives near the floor. For a track car, this would be a completely moot point, however, I drive in heavy traffic and have no time to do anything else really.

At this point, I'm ready to move on from the car as I did with my R53 to make room for a convertible or t-top vehicle so I can enjoy my ****ty commute to and from work when the weather is nice.

I can make a more complete list of mods, things to do, provide pictures, whatever to SERIOUS buyers, or you can come look at it in person (preferred) so you can get a feel for it yourself.

I'm looking for $10k, cash, or best offer. Again, I won't dump it for nothing and I've had offers for that before but no one came with a trailer to take it home. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. I would also entertain the idea of a trade for the right car. I have around $15k into the car as it sits, the original builder had sent me receipts for the build from garage tuning that was nearly $30k. It is more or less your perfect period build with all the top choice bolt ons from the ages. If you've wanted your dream STi from Gran Turismo, this is what you'd likely want. With that said, it is a 90's Subaru. It has evaded rusting apart and being beat into oblivion, but you're not getting a new Mercedes in terms of build quality and refinement. Please temper your expectations.

Thanks for looking and feel free to reach out if you have interest. Price is fair for the most part with current comps for clean bodied cars with a discount figured in as a project over what running/driving cars in equal condition have been bringing over the past two years or so (roughly $15-20k).

Attached Files:

2. curly2k3

I should note, I do have the headlights, grill, etc... as well, they were just removed at one point when the car was being moved from location to location for storage (it has had 4 addresses since I've owned it).

3. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Hi curly

4. curly2k3

:eek:

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

What? A GC without t3h rustz? She’s a beaut Clark!!

6. curly2k3

Right? That's the most surprising part of it all!

tangledupinblu likes this.