Gonna do plugs... maybe coil packs too

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by predavore, Jul 21, 2022.

1. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Do you trust aftermarket coil packs? If so, which ones? I have an 08 WRX that has a bit of a stutter under load. I have probably put on 20k miles since the plugs were replaced, but that was probably 5-6 years ago. The car sat a lot over the last 2-3 years. I think I have less than 1k on in the last 12 months. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to do coil packs while I'm in there. Or do I just take a loan out and get factory ones?

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Credit card bruh! I feel like the answer is OEM. But I am only 50% sure. You are very welcome

3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I would start with plugs before doing coil packs. What plugs and gap did you use? What fuel are you running?

4. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Plugs (grade, gap, etc)
    Swap packs side to side to confirm if it's certain packs
    Oem only for subaru, not sure why it's like that but aftermarket ones have always given me pain on my subarus but never on kias and Volkswagens

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

I’d go with coil packs from the dealer with mnsubaru discount so it doesn’t sting as bad if you do need them.

tangledupinblu and pinjasaur like this.
  6. predavore

I don't want to take it apart and then do it again because of packs. I'll probably just pony up and buy a new set. I use mostly Kwik Trip premium because it's right down the street. And I get a free gas station burger every 15 visits...

tangledupinblu and Butthau5 like this.
  7. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Mmmm cheeseburger on a white bun sandwich

8. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

My bug was doing this a few years ago. I replaced plugs and 1 coil pack and tried to figure it out myself but couldnt. I took it to jm and they discovered that all but the 1 coil pack were failing. My bet is you need new coil packs.

9. predavore

I will say this... I do appreciate the parts department at Morries. I got 4 plugs and coil packs under $500.

10. tangledupinblu

Yeeeeeah buddy!

11. predavore

And now I have at least one broken coil pack connector... ****.

also this...
    [​IMG]

12. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Silly question but how do we use the morries discount

13. predavore

Ask for Erik when you call Morries Minnetonka Subaru Parts. He has taken care of all my parts needs for so many years it's hard to remember.

pinjasaur, euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  14. predavore

euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  15. tangledupinblu

Ish and ish. I never understood why the coil packs had plastic harnesses. I mean, I get it, but they see so much heat and stuff they always fail.(eventually)

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  16. predavore

3 out of 4 were splitting. New plugs and coil packs are in. Just waiting on the new connector. Should be here by next weekend. Paid for a 30+ piece kit but probably only need 1 piece. But I don't want to not have them...

New vs Old

[​IMG]

17. predavore

FOR FREE: 1 probably for sure maybe working coil pack and 3 really questionable ones... None throw a CEL code. I know what I got here. Free is my firm price.

pillboy, euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  18. tangledupinblu

Nothing in life is free pal, nuttin

19. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Might wanna reconsider using Kwik Trip premium. Almost all of their premium is ethanol free now.

Was gonna copy/paste a link to an article JM posted a few years ago about running ethanol vs non-oxy and why you shouldn't run non-oxy in a turbo car but of course I can't find it now. :banghead:

Kinda sucks because finding 91 or better with 10% ethanol in it is getting harder and harder for some reason.

20. predavore

nuttin is the most expensive thing I have done in life....

SaggyWagon and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  21. predavore

I've heard pros and cons for this. Pro if you let it sit, con if you run it. I don't run it hard if at all... and it does sit a lot. I know with small engines, that they don't do well sitting with ethanol in the lines.

22. Krazylegz1485

:bounce:

predavore likes this.
  23. predavore

For the little I drive, this shouldn't matter. Also, I can siphon the gas and run the mower if I need...

24. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Just drill and and add a bulkhead drain valve to your fuel tank. I kid.

25. tangledupinblu

This idea nearly broke the internet.

26. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Now that we are finally staying in St Cloud, I have more Kwik Trips (and less BPs) convenient to me now. I still refuse to go to a Speedway (I don't have a bulletproof vest) and I will only go to Holiday for a car wash or a beverage.

I thought it was mandated in Minnesota that all fuel contain 10% ethanol? It used to be that the non-oxy fuel was labeled for small engine or off-road use only. Now I am seeing "premium" labeled as containing no ethanol and it looks like mid-grade at Kwik Trip (88, I believe) is E15. Last time I was fueling the Escape I decided to look in the filler door as it was more interesting than the "show" on the pump and low and behold, it is labeled for "E0-15". We've owned it for almost 10 years now and this is the first I discover that it can run E15.

Is this just a Kwik Trip thing or is it happening at other branded stations too?

Oh, and by the way, I still haven't found an automated touch-free car wash I like in St Cloud. :(

27. euro

euro Well-Known Member

In Elk River most of the gas stations only have 91 non-oxy as if 91 premium cars are rare or something BUT we now have a VP Racing gas station that I wanna check out!

In St. Cloud 5 years ago I only went to Sok's car wash in Sauk Rapids. the touchless car washes up there suck. Mister was okay but was always out parking lot busy.

pillboy likes this.
  28. Krazylegz1485

Just drove by there today and from a distance it was pretty exciting. As I got closer it just looked like a normal station with a cool paint job. Didn't have a chance to stop, tho.

29. pillboy

After Duck, Duck, Going, apparently Minnesota has an exemption for ethanol content for premium fuel and for fuel designated for off-road vehicles. I learn something new every day.

30. Krazylegz1485

I was quite surprised to find that South Dakota has practically zero premium with ethanol in it, even in Sioux Falls. Kinda hard to believe since there's basically nothing there other than farm land...

Last time we went out there in the WRX I had to find a place that had E85, which also was stupidly hard to find, and pump about 2 gallons of that in, then top off the rest with 91 non-oxy. You could definitely smell it in the exhaust after and it actually seemed to run noticeably better than normal.

This whole not putting ethanol in premium anymore thing is so puzzling to me.

Cotts612 likes this.
  31. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Hello fellow DDG user. :)

I did this strategy up in Two Harbors this past weekend at Kwik Trip. Felt kinda dumb, but it worked well.

pillboy likes this.
  32. predavore

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And it's fixed. The new connector was super easy to install. I bought the whole replacement kit for $50... used two parts. The car runs so much better now. Doesn't hesitate getting into boost. Coming back down to idle is smoother.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  33. Krazylegz1485

Hooray for a successful repair! I'm having a celebratory drink for you currently. Haha.

Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  34. predavore

I'm doing that right now... and last night in preparation and probably tomorrow in remembrance.

35. tangledupinblu

I will also join you in a bit after the kids are in bed.

36. predavore

Give them some... watch them drop.

37. predavore

I did ask if there was a fix from Subaru, the answer is no. Full ****ed... requires an engine harness purchase. I did find iWire online and ordered immediately. A week later, I didn't spend $1-2k on a harness. Just $50. I think it's worth it's weight in gold. I did suggest Morrie's stock this kit. I would have paid more to run get it and get the car back on the road versus waiting a week.

https://iwireusa.com/collections/3-pin-replacement-plugs/products/black-and-white-coil-pack-plug-kit

$600 later, new plugs, new COPs, and harness fixed. Car drive better than it has in years. Last note... iWire actually hand wrote "thank you" on a card envelope they put in the box. Who does that anymore? It wasn't an entire love letter, but Thanks was hand written.

pinjasaur and euro like this.
  38. tangledupinblu

Everything that I’ve seen with iwire has been solid! They were highlighted on an episode of “Buck Yeah” with Bucky Lasek a few times. The owner has a pretty sweet 3.0L build

39. pillboy

I filled up the Escape again today (87) and more carefully read the stickers on the pump. The non-oxy premium (91) is in fact labeled that it is only for off-road vehicles or small engine use. So if your car cannot use E85, or E15 (the other two choices on the pump), you have only one choice at this Kwik Trip...the 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Seriously?

40. tangledupinblu

Time to buy an EV.:facepalm:

41. euro

euro Well-Known Member

When my choices are ping or breaking the law the choice is obvious
    [​IMG]

my local holiday also has "classic/collector" cars iirc on the sticker, only 5 more years until the WRX can have collector plates.

pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  42. Krazylegz1485

I'd like to see somebody enforce that "rule" someday. It's not like there's dye in it like off-road diesel.

euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  43. predavore

Everyone needs an Escape Vehicle...