Gran Turismo 5 MNSubaru Funtimes...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by readymix, Nov 24, 2010.

1. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Did anyone else find all of the rally challenges to be ridiculously easy? However I'm happy to have an RS200 rally car in my garage now after completing the final round.

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

A hint that I got from Ben at MTKA was to turn on some of the driving aids and win that way. I was against it because it seems like cheating sort of, but I absolutely stomped the course on the GT World Championship doing that. At least for A-spec crap, I'm going to go ahead and continue cheating my way to finishing.

3. RallyNavvie

You really need to have the driving aids turned off in the rally challenges otherwise the engine bogs trying to apply traction control and you don't get very good angles on your corners (turning in early). I was overtaking the lead car in several of the races.

I'm not doing quite so well on the final NASCAR challenges, however.

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, I'm playing with driving aids a bit, depending on the car. Anything over ~500hp I use 5-7 TCS. And I've been playing with using ASM a bit, that tends to be a double-edged sword, it can prevent snap oversteer, but can also cause understeer if you come into a corner too hot.

I think one of the best things about the DFGT wheel, is the ability to change these settings (TCS, ASM, ABS, TQ split, and brake bias) on the fly.

5. RallyNavvie

Really? I hate wheel controllers for games but that's a pretty impressive feature. So you can toggle or adjust those settings in the middle of the race without pausing?

I have a question for the wheel users: how do you set up your gaming area to use a wheel comfortably? The nice thing about using a controller (and really the only thing I like about console gaming) is that you can just sit back and play.

6. readymix

My coffee table has a top that extends up and towards the couch. It works great for playing FPS games on the TV with the keyboard and mouse. And it will likely serve well as a wheel mount. Gotta wait till Xmas for the wheel controller, so I'll have to wait to report back on that one.

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yep, actually you have to do it during play, you can't while it's paused (not a fan of that, kinda sketchy trying to make adjustments while driving). The red thumbwheel, as well as the + and - buttons opposite it are specifically for those adjusments:
    [​IMG]

My "gaming area" is not ideal. Just a small table that happens to be a good height, with a bunch of old phone books to keep it from moving around, sitting in the middle of my living room. I wish I had a second nice TV/Stereo setup that I could dedicate to gaming with a nice chair/wheel setup, but I don't play enough to justify that kind of cash.

8. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yeah, the dfgt is the first wheel I've ever purchased. I'm still faster with a controller (except for nascar and the license tests).

I have a $10 target table that happened to be the perfect height. I just pull my couch up to the tv, pull the table up to my couch and turn the surround sound on. Pretty comfy!

[​IMG]

If I ever get good at using the wheel I might build a little stand around the spare RS seat I have in the garage.

9. idget

You're welcome!

No problem about the nascar. I didn't realize they're only 500k so I just bought one. You pretty much make your money back after beating the series so no big deal. I'll probably end up farming credits through the nascar series actually. It's pretty quick and really easy.

10. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

... is that a giant Hello Kitty pillow, Sheen?

11. idget

pshhhh. no... yes.

12. readymix

I can taste your shame. The real question to be asked is...."is it yours?"

13. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Is that where my HK pillow went? You haven't sat on it, have you?

14. RallyNavvie

The final Top Gear challenge was a blast! You almost don't need to be fast, you just sit back and watch those in front of you get taken out. Be fun to see more races run with traffic like that.

The final set of NASCAR challenges is kicking my ass so I don't think I'll be getting a free stock car out of it, probably have to settle for silver.

Who beat the historic race car challenge and with what? I'm looking for a car to beat that as it's the last one I need in order to finish out Expert. All of the used ones I see come up are 3M+ and I'm thinking I need to save for a F1 car later.

15. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

Sooo! who wants tp do some online racibg with each others? i can start one if anyonr wants to race

16. idget

I have a toyota 7 I can let you borrow for a few days. I'll need it back eventually to beat the second historic bspec race once I level up my drivers.

17. readymix

Check the event section. There was a League race this evening at 9pm. Next one is scheduled at 9pm next Sunday.

18. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

scep b drives i noticed that there is a arrow on the right side next to the helmit it is useally green and pointing streight, i have also seen it blue pointing to the upper right and yellow pointing down/right what does it mean?

19. RallyNavvie

I read somewhere that it's the readiness of that driver: blue means eager to race, green is meh, and orange is tired. Might be some truth to it as my first driver sat idle a while and turned blue while the second driver that was being worked went green, then orange. Haven't noticed if it really has an effect on their driving though.

20. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

That's for their current race setting isn't it? Green is maintain pace, blue is slow pace, and orange is overtake/up pace?

21. idget

No I tihnk what you're talking about is during game play. I've noticed that my "hotter" personality bspec drivers (R.Kelly, and P.Kok) don't listen to what you tell them until they get up past level 14 or so. But they drive really aggressively and are good at passing even at low levels. The "cooler" personality types (I. Fuchs and U.Gay) responded to commands well but couldn't overtake worth a damn until they were up past level 15 and even at 20+ they still have trouble passing in corners.

The arrow thing Dan is talking about is on the pre-race screen where you choose your driver (and post race to show your driver's progress). I think rallynavvie is right, it's more about their readiness to drive. I think it's completely arbitrary though bc I've been trying to pay close attention to that and see whether it makes a difference in lap times (it didn't, same driver, same race, same car, back to back gallardo race he ran the first one with an up arrow and the second with a down arrow and his fastest laps were nearly identical). But maybe I'm just not catching the pattern.

22. RallyNavvie

It seems like they threw a lot of detail into the game but didn't explain it anywhere.

23. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

This.

24. RallyNavvie

Did you upgrade it at all? How did you even get one? I might take you up on borrowing it this week.

25. idget

yeah, I did what I could do to it (not much). I sent it to you a couple days ago.

26. RallyNavvie

Sorry, been too busy at work this week to get any GT5 time in. I'll see if I can tackle it tonight if I get out of the office on time.

27. ortho004

ortho004 Well-Known Member

I am finally going to be playing GT5 tonight. One paper to hand in, then going to pick it up and zone out for a few days.

28. RallyNavvie

Thanks for letting me borrow the wedge. It only had a few races on it, did you get it as a prize car? I forgot to set the gear ratios back to what you had. Seems like you had it set for top speed because I got my ass kicked on Cote d'Azur before shortening the gears.

29. readymix

That's it. **** B-spec. My driver pit 3 times during a 7 lap race in the 90's Japanese Challenge. I'm ****ing done with it. It's the stupidest ****ing part of this game.

30. RallyNavvie

I've never seen mine pit on any races. Back in GT4 there was one track where I recall my B-Spec driver hitting the turn wrong and wandering into the pit lane which then triggered the pit sequence, that really sucked, but I haven't seen that in GT5 yet. Then again my drivers are levels 4 and 6 so they aren't doing much for me now anyway.

Meanwhile what am I missing in the NASCAR challenge? I tested the waters with a single race on the High Speed Ring and kicked ass so I entered the series, took an easy 1st at Indy, then proceeded to get stomped on Grand Valley because the boat was drifting everywhere. Do I just need to get soft racing tires instead of the hard ones that car came with? I also dislike the 4 gear racing transmission preventing me from staying in the torque curve, but at least it seems to affect the other drivers.

31. idget

You're welcome! Yeah I won it in bspec I think. Bspec is awesome once you get passed level 15 or so and once you have a fleet of drivers. Each one drives differently, so my level 15 guy is better at nascar bc he drafts well and is very aggressive in the corners. My level 22 guy is only good at getting in the lead out of the gate and keeping it. Yeah, I think I did Cote d'Azur first then raised the top speed for the first race. No big deal

I used racing soft and tweaked the suspension (lowered it, added more front camber, front toe in, rear toe out). I think I may have played with the diff settings to keep it from 1-wheeling on corner exit... or maybe that was with the camaro. Anyway, once you get to extreme, unless you have a way overmatched car, you really have to start messing with the suspension, diff, braking, and sometimes trans settings. Also, tires are the key from the beginning.

32. RallyNavvie

I usually dial in most of those settings using a test track and don't need to be tweaked much beyond that except for gearing changes depending on corners and straights on a particular course. I used to use Trial Mountain as my tuning track but now I'm using Nurburgring GP as it has a better variety of corners and elevation changes, plus a little patch of rough tarmac as a reality check for road courses. Even in Extreme I don't have troubles with evenly-matched cars as the AI is pretty retarded about cornering and doesn't utilize some of the better lines on the course. The one track that gives me fits is the full Nurburgring as it has a lot of narrow stretches and you really have to be patient to get a clean pass. I mean I barely miss gold times on all my license tests and those are probably the toughest challenges in the entire game.

I didn't mess with the NASCAR settings too much as I've found a lot of the purpose-built race cars come with decent settings by default. Coming out of corners I can manipulate the throttle enough to control the car, it's the high speed cornering that I'm losing all traction and just plowing into stuff. The other cars don't seem to be having the same problems. I hope the stickier rubber works.

I also need to find a LM car. There's a Nissan R390 road car for sale right now in my used lot but it isn't the race variant and I don't know if it'll hold up against the full LM variants you're up against in the big trophy series (Like the Wind and Polyphony Cup).

33. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

So why is it that i can only change my top speed with my gearing? I want to adjust my actual gears so i can hit turns at the right RPM.... anyone have any ideas what i am missing here? Prologue allowed you to change actual gears and not just top speed.

34. idget

Sorry, I should have clarified. I was still talking about bspec. Seems like you need to pick the right driver, have him way levelled up, and put him in the best car possible. I'm not sure why, but I like the challenge. a-spec has been pretty easy so far. I don't see myself getting to, enjoying, or finishing any of the endurance races though.

unfortunately no. Closest you can get is raising the top speed if you want longer gears. Maybe an update later? Like everything else they didn't have time to finish lol

35. RallyNavvie

The soft tires made a huge difference in a single race but for some reason on the series race the car started sliding all over again. Settings were all the same so something fishy is going on. Was able to claim gold pretty easy on all but the Daytona race which is now the bane of my existence. I think I'll finish out the S license and the challenges before returning to the grind.

I had heard that achieving a higher level unlocks the gear ratios. I occasionally fine-tuned them for each track but GT5 lacks the ability to save settings so you'd have to keep a journal of your best settings. I used to keep a tune for my workhorse cars in GT4 for almost every track.

I was earning up some easy trophies tonight and realized that achieving all of them is about as difficult as having sex with twins: it's a helluvalotta effort for something that, while cool at the time, will only make you feel dirty later.

36. mahnster

mahnster Well-Known Member

I found that cranking up the TCS and using soft tires was a big help on the nascar challenges.

Add me to the list if you have a chance-

PSN id: bohner_donor

37. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Wondering if anyone can send me either the matte grey or matte black paint chips? I want a matte black F430. :)

38. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Hooray for Christmas! My wife loves me and I'm in!

PSN: pattter

Yes, 3 t's

39. RallyNavvie

I am running the European Championship against an RS200 and a Focus ST? Did I miss the part about Ford being a European marque? I know they're Cosworth-tuned versions but come on, now we're just getting it rubbed in even more by Japanese game studios.

BTW that's an easy money-earner at 99k per win. I ran once in the Vayron and realized it was super overkill after nearly lapping the field. I'd recommend one of the Ferrari's to at least make it sporting.

When's the next MNS race? Make sure to include some dirt events!

40. readymix

Actually, I'm thinking the STi Race for next weekend will be dirty.

41. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

If so, then I'm out. Rally = suck in this game.

42. readymix

Make sure you spend that Sunday night taking yourself too seriously.

43. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Make sure you take everything I say personally.

44. RallyNavvie

The codriver sucks for sure: he calls all of my turns as I'm on top of them. I don't think they figured out how to get their codriver timing down like WRC or Dirt. Otherwise the physics aren't that far off any of the dedicated rally titles. One thing I really like about rally in GT5 is the start. Catching up to cars in front of you is just as much a bother as it is in the real deal.

45. RallyNavvie

FML. So I earn up the 4M credits to buy a race car and planned on getting the Audi R8 LMS as I could also use it for the last DTM series. Then the R8 Team Oreca race car shows up in the new online dealership so I don't have to wait for it to show in the used car lot. I purchase it there even though the title isn't exactly the same as the one listed in the DTM restrictions but it's still an Audi R8 race car. Fail: the one you get online does not work in the Extreme series German Touring Car Championship. Does the one in the DTM series refer to the production R8 rather than the LM car? I'm not sure what the difference is between LM and LMS is supposed to be.

So where can I win one of the cars on the DTM list? I got my level 17 car card as a Castrol NSX so if someone's willing to trade I'd really like either the Audi TT or R8 touring car or the BMW M3 touring car.