Gran Turismo 6

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr.Tran, May 15, 2013.

1. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

:censored:

Made me fire up gt5... looks like **** on the big tv

3. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I'll probably get it if it isn't PS4

4. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I have hard time being optimistic about any further titles from this franchise after the last round. We'll wee.

5. Mr.Tran

6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

It better be for ps3.

7. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

waiting for it as a greatest hit's version. not paying full price especially if it's only rehash of gt5 with even more cars and tracks. needs better physics and especially better soundfx

8. Mr.Tran

That's already been confirmed.

9. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

I'm on the bandwagon of "meh", regardless of console. In fact, I'm very certain that I'll never own a PS4. The only reason I even got a PS3 was for playing blu-ray movies. Games were not a factor. I'll wait long after launch to make sure they're realeasing a completed game this time instead of the GT5 embarrassment of "well, we offer over 1000 cars, but only a fraction of them look good". The audio of the engine recordings still sucks and the soundtrack was even annoying oftentimes. Considering how much time is spent in menus customizing cars, no one wants to listen to "The Entertainer" for 30 minutes on a loop while trying to spec out a car.

Also, paint. For ****'s sake, what the **** were they thinking with the painting system? Paint chips? Who thought this was a good idea?

10. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yeah, seriously. The music. Every time I finished a race or started one, I went flailing for the mute button before the kids started singing. You could change the in game driving music, which was nice, but the menu music was just awful.

11. blackozone

Actually, I like that song. Damn near everything else on the soundtrack though was awful.

What happened? Does anyone remember GT2? That soundtrack was tits.

CarpalTomO and Mr.Tran like this.
  12. blackozone

Also, let's get realistic about the car counts while we're at it and just cut that estimate in half. There's 600 cars, maybe 200 will be premium and the rest will be GT4 re-hashes. The R34 Skyline is one car. You can't count each year and color option as a car. It's pathetic, just stahp.

13. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

14. Mr.Tran

See the 5th post down ;)

15. tehfuzz

sorry didnt see previous post , mr. tran

Mr.Tran likes this.
  16. SurlyOldManMN

I'd like it if they actually stood up a game around their driving simulator this time. Also, no more ****ing skylines plzkthxbye.

tehfuzz likes this.
  17. Bay Lee

Bay Lee Member

I actually enjoyed Gran Turismo 5. It was overall a good "game" for me. Although some of the music was annoying at times, for the most part it was ok. But I feel that the future for most video games are going to suck! They release 70% of a game for $60, then have additional DLC for another $30-$70! If you want to play the updated version of the game with your friends, you have to get the DLC. It's a smart move, but I don't think I'll ever buy another video game for a long while because of the DLCs. Like the Madden series, everyone is going to buy the next year version even though it gets better/worse. COD, Battlefield, GTA, etc etc. all has DLCs. Until someone comes out with a Gran Turismo Universe where you can dl/request cars to be placed into the actual video game, I'll probably not buy another one for a while. But ... I'll still probably buy it :p

18. readymix

For most games, I agree. But that's what happens when game developers go for quantity over quality. COD and BF are notorious for it. When those franchises started, you didn't have broadband quite as distributed as it is now. So, you had to release your games relatively problem free and 100% what you planned for. "Do-overs" were hard. Patches for games had to be downloaded individually and installed to fix bugs. And modders were encouraged to develop new content for the game. Developers would release the compiler tools they used to create the content so modders could generate their own custom content. This is still very prevalent and encouraged in the PC game community for the most part. The other direction was the way EA and Activision went. Put out the games. Cut the tools. Then in 3 months release a "mission pack" or a "map pack" and charge 10-15 bucks for it. Then 3 months after that, announce the next sequential title in the series.

For games like GranTurismo, new cars come out in the real world all the time. The game is now a few years old. In that time, tons of new tuner cars have hit the market. Model refreshes. Things like that. You can't account for that when you release the game. And you can't expect the studio to just keep working on new content for the game for free forever. Those devs and modellers cost money to keep them working. So, yeah, I can understand paying for new cars and new tracks. Borderlands2 as well. Everyone is crying about paying for the new playable characters. But the problem is, the developers and designers don't just churn out a new player model. They have to come up with all sorts of game balance situations and skill trees and perks that don't break the game and can progress fluidly as you progress in the game. Those sorts of things cost money to create.

Then there's COD, where they have a couple devs run maps from one of their older sequels through the map compiler again with the new tools and spit out 10 old recompiled maps for you to pay 15 dollars for along with a couple new guns which are just reskinned guns that have slightly different scopes and fire rates or something. All of which are things you simply script in the programming and requires little to no effort.

Bay Lee likes this.
  19. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

There was an update that changed that. I think the only music you're stuck with now is the GTAuto screen, and maybe photo mode.

I thought GT5 as a base game was a bit weak, but I've definitely put more overall play time into it than I have any other game I've owned. The updates, and online events have made it worth coming back to again and again. There was a stretch of months last year where I kept my daily login bonus up to full.

Also, there are a bunch of DLC packs, but there have also been a lot of free updates for it, that greatly improve play. The online dealership, being able to save endurance races, changing menu music, etc.

20. tehfuzz

saving endurance races would have been so clutch back when i had the game

21. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

99 Red Balloons!

22. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

I'm a big PC driving game person and I can understand why they went to DLC's and removing the tools to diy it. People used to make good money making or editing models from other games and then turn around and sell it, which is still someone elses copywrited material but they still got away with it. So which then if not done correctly can create glitches in the game for others. For a long time I swore against playing games with DLC, but really I gave in especially since ive got an xbox now.

edit: intoxicated posting... sorry for jumping around

23. readymix

You don't need anything special to pull game models. 3dsmax is pretty good about opening just about anything with a coordinate system. Skyrim has hundreds of thousands of mods and content you can download on Steam.
    ethesda helped them with the community content creation system. I know there was a whole mod written that allows you to pick a plot of land in Skyrim, gather resources and build a house. All this content costs nothing. Valve flat out gives the tools to edit their engine in Steam, the SourceSDK is free. You can even create games on their engines and publish the games on Steam. Then again, Valve has always been an example of a developer doing it right.

24. pbedroske

25. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

If the physic's is anything like GT5 I'm NOT going to touch GT6 w/a 1000 ft pole. I sold mine within a month after I got it. GT5 is the most over rated and most frustrating driving game I've ever played! :banghead:

26. pho_real

pho_real Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. Was so anticipating it to be good, but sucked majorly. Over 800+ cars? But your chances of getting a car you wanted was impossible. Tried so hard to get the turbo supra but was only getting the NA version. Never touched it since then.

27. pbedroske

Summary of new Gran Turismo 6 features announced by Kazunori Yamauchi [1]:
    • New Game Engine
      • Refactoring
      • Compact, nimble operation
      • Flexible expandability
      • A new rendering engine that pushes the limits of the PS3
    • New Physics Engine
      • New suspension and kinematics model
      • New tire model
      • New aerodynamics model
      • Technical partnership with Yokohama Rubber and KW Automotive
    • 1200 Cars, abundant custom parts, and on-going DLC
      • From historic cars to the latest racing cars, the game contains a total of 1200 cars.
      • Multiple aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars.
      • Players can create their own personalized custom car in the game.
      • Cars will be continually added online
    • 33 locations, 71 layouts
      • 33 Locations and 71 layouts will be provided from day1 (7 more locations and 19 more layouts than GT5)
      • More new tracks will continue to be provided online
    • New Course Maker
      • Massive scenery spanning several tens of square kilometers
      • A new course generation algorithm
    • Community/Club/Race Organizer
      • Players can form their own communities
      • Various community levels from local and domestic to global
      • Players themselves can create and manage their own online events
    • New User Interface
      • Balancing directional key operation and touch operation
      • Quick response
      • Shortening of loading times
    • Multi Device Compatibility
      • PlayStation®
      • Smart Phone
      • Tablet
      • PC
    At the same time as the PS3 version of GT6 the “Real Driving Simulator” launches, a mobile version and web application version of GT6, will be created to enjoy Gran Turismo’s massive community space.
    Real/Virtual "Edge Effect" Activity A variety of "Edge Effects", the chemical reactions between the real world and the virtual world for which the Gran Turismo series is famous, are also planned for GT6. Exciting collaborations between various automotive manufacturers and collaborations with brands crossing different industries will be revealed gradually across the next six months.

28. yarpirate

yarpirate BANNED

I can't wait to see what brand of kitchen appliances they sample for their engine sounds.

blackozone and SurlyOldManMN like this.
  29. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Gran Turismo 6? The last time I played video games was when they had #3

I think that's 10 years ago

30. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

gt5 was horrible...and after i played forza 3 then 4 and then horizon i just couldn't compare the amount of detail turn10 put into those games...and that will be hard cause there is no way i'm getting a xb1 just for forza

31. pho_real

pho_real Well-Known Member

Unless Forza 5 is totally worth it and a price drop on the system. Who knows, that's the only reason why I bought a 360, Forza 3, 4 and Horizon.

yarpirate likes this.
  32. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

You didn't like GT5? I've had every version of Gran Turismo, and I've always thought that they vehicle/driving dynamics in Gran Turismo were more realistic than Forza...although I haven't played Forza 3 or 4 yet.

I basically bought my PS3 for GT5, and Blu-Ray. But if Forza is really that much better, perhaps I'll get the new XBox when it arrives, along with Forza.

33. Mr.Tran

Hated GT5. Not from a physics standpoint but a UI and gaming design standpoint. Want a specific car? Wait 2 months for it to not show up on the used car lot. GT5 was laughable how bad the UI was. GT3 and 4 had waaaaay better designs.

tehfuzz likes this.
  34. Musashi

You really shouldn't call your game a Simulator game if the player's can reproduce their last lap. There's a huge inconsistency in GT5 that just makes experienced drivers like myself and those who just knows how a vehicle should response when you give it inputs. But that's not my biggest disappointment. The fact that they kept delaying the release and still failed to deliver is by far the biggest disappointment. And the second is the over priced new steering wheel they've partnered with. (Thrustmasters)

Keep in mine when I play these driving games I'm not utilizing a control pad but rather a GT25 Logitech helical gears and PlaySeat. If I was going to play a driving game for fun I'd just go to Chucky E Cheese with my kids and spend my money there on Initial D, which is not any better but at least the whole system moves. I'd like to utilize these games as a tool to help refine my real life track driving where ever possible. There are some area's you'll want to experiment on a virtual world before you ever consider doing it in the real one.

Maybe I'm putting more emphasis on Polyphony then I should but ever since they had this huge following they've really slacked up and have disappointed a lot of people with their power house marketing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    blackozone likes this.
  35. dark_stalker

dark_stalker Well-Known Member

I'd say gt n gt2 was the best overall in number of cars

36. SurlyOldManMN

There are a number of stories about pro drivers doing this with Forza and being quite pleased with it as a training tool. Not much media talking about drivers using GT5. Have you tried a good wheel with FM4? Better or worse than you expect compared to GT5?

37. Musashi

I currently dont own an Xbox.

38. blackozone

I can only like Musashi's comment once, but he hit a lot of nails on the head. GT5 was, in a word, lazy. Even after that much delay, the game was incomplete and poorly tossed together. They clearly no longer fear their consumers, and that needs to change or else they're going to keep putting out schlock.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Musashi and yarpirate like this.
  39. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

So... Pre-Order and get an easier game.

http://jalopnik.com/if-you-pre-order-gran-turismo-6-youll-get-an-easier-ga-563040254

"If You Pre-Order Gran Turismo 6 You'll Get An Easier Game
    Part of the joy of Gran Turismo is just how hard it is. You have to work your way up from nothing to get the best cars in the game. Or you can just pre-order Gran Turismo 6 and get a head start on everyone else.

These days, everyone needs a reward for doing something. So if you pre-order GT6, the lowest reward you can get is four free cars. That's right, just for pre-ordering a video game, you get a BMW Z4 GT3 racer, Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3, Tesla Model S Performance, and a Corvette C7. And that's before you play the game.

If you pre-order from GameStop, you get 20 free cars, including the four above. If you pre-order from Amazon, you get $1 million in credits in the game right at the start.

Ok, so pre-ordering now takes the challenge out of GT. This game is about working from the ground up. You get slow cars, you tune them, you buy faster cars. One of the most important choices was your first car purchase in the series. Free cars and money basically negates the game.

People don't want to work for anything anymore. Half the fun of GT was that challenge of working up the ladder. If that's gone, what's the point?"

Craziness.

40. Mr.Tran

With the **** show GT5 was this is just them dangling carrots. I actually disagree. I like to use the cars I like, not some crap I have to use because the game uses the same formula since GT1. Anyone that plays GT should know a mil credits or 20 cars ain't ****. I might actually preorder now. Then I can focus on racing the tracks and cars I want instead of wasting time getting credits so I can buy what I want.

41. readymix

Yeah, some of us like Gran Turismo because we like to drive cars around tracks that we can't drive in real life. Spending 300 hours of game time to afford one of those cars is kindof a turn off. For the longest time, I didn't touch GT5 because I didn't want to have to run through all the same races over and over again to earn money to buy one car I needed for a Pro level race. It isn't like GT4, where you could just go bang out Costa D'Amalfi in your high budget super car and sell the Toyota Rally Car for 250k in what amounted to about 10 minutes of game time.

42. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

IF I were to pre-order... I would do it with Amazon. It seems like the better deal of the two. I would rather build a used car that I want vs take 4 that everyone else has.

43. pbedroske

Guess we'll find out what it's like next week. Demo available 7/2/13
    HTML:
    http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/fresh-details-about-upcoming-gran.html