Great........ :(

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by whipsack, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I have tint, and I can see better in most cases out my side tinted window than my windshield, the way the sun hitts a dirty nontinted surface can cause a greater obstructed view then my tinted windows ever will. This is irresponcable Journalism trying to pass this off as a fact is dishonest.:roll:

2. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

A cop can give you a ticket for anything. If you fought it effectively, you'd have won.

3. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

^^I once got a ticket for not wearing glasses while driving, I have never worn glasses once in my life or have ever been prescribed glasses.

4. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

You have to elaborate on this...

5. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny,
    today I saw a homeland security car
    with 'waytoodarktint'.

6. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Trucks/SUVs/Vans are under a different set of rules as they are classified as a "Multi Purpose Vehicle" by the Goverment. This affects everything from crash test standards to privacy glass rules. The PT Cruiser is classed as a MPV, that's why you'll see them running around with rear privacy glass, just like an SUV. It has nothing to do with the size of the vehicle itself, the 08 Outbacks are classed as an MPV IIRC but Subaru opted not to put privacy glass in. There are certain guidelines that the vehicle has to meet to become a MPV, and it's often done for CAFE standards.

To me, this is an officer safety issue. Yes, I realize that there are benefits to having tinted windows but this is something that's difficult to work around to keep everyone happy. And I'd rather err to the benefit of officer safety on something this trivial.

7. Taras

Taras BANNED

GUNS! All the evil comes from guns that shoot people. Ban the guns.

8. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

When you make it a crime to own guns, only criminals will own guns.

9. Taras

Taras BANNED

True. And Cops.

10. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

guns are good m'kay?

11. SubieDave

SubieDave Well-Known Member

I've watch all the police shows on TV and I have respect for what these guys do. It makes complete sense about the tint thing, but 50% is way too light. If we could change the tint rule to 35%, there would be less of an issure.
    When I get pulled over, day or night, winter or summer, I roll down all my windows regardless. I want the officer to know that I am not hiding anything and that he/she has nothing to worry about when they walk up to my car.
    I was ticketed last fall for tinted windows. The officers tint meter read 22%. My windows look nothing even close to being as dark as 22%. They're rated at 35%, which is still illegal, but they are not near as dark as Hans' (whipsack's) LGT.

12. ShortytheFirefighter

Just when I think you can't bring things to a new low, you surprise me yet again. Sigh.

13. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

+1,000,000

14. Taras

Taras BANNED

that was sarcastic. lighten up.

15. ShortytheFirefighter

Hard to tell with your past rhetoric. At least throw a smiley in there or something ;)

16. curly2k3

he will say its sarcasm AFTER

17. Taras

Taras BANNED

was going to but thought that they way it was said it will sound sarcastic. Oh, well, next time;)

18. HoLsTeR

HoLsTeR Well-Known Member

not all cops are D-bags. just a select few are. they are the ones handing out the lame uncalled for tickets so they stand out. i have a bunch of friends in law enforcement and i actually hangout with them every once and a while ive met a lot of police officers both on and off the clock and almost every one of them was a great cop. even most of them who have pulled me over havent been all that bad. i can totally see why aproching a car would be scary....tint or not. it is a little lame thought that they are going to increase enforcement. but really....i dont think tint even looks good....sorry so i dont feel bad when people get a ticket. is it really that important? it just attracts attention from the law anyways.

but i agree. the reason why the law is putting more enforcement is really uncalled for because we are not TX and we dont have as much crime for it but if i were a cop id look for a reason to stay safe on the job as well....

but really! not all cops are a$shat$

19. curly2k3

i can honestly say the majority of police i have encountered have been d-bags. i can count on one hand how many have been cool, and i remember them all pretty vividly.

20. HoLsTeR

well think about it...how many cool cops are going to be the ones to pull you over?.....

21. curly2k3

4 have been, also, i never said they pulled me over. :p

22. HoLsTeR

you didnt have to. im just saying that its more likely that the ones who arent going to give you a bs ticket arent even going to pull you over. sure they will if its obvious that you kinda have it coming...

23. curly2k3

actually, the 4 i mentioned, SHOULD'VE given me a ticket, they were the laid back ones that didn't come off as complete ****s. i expected to get a ticket and i was cool with that

24. HoLsTeR

i still stand by my point. i have the same experience with most cops. even in EP....

25. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

I totally agree that an officers safety is always top priority. However, the hazard a police officer faces is the same whether they are approaching a Multi Purpose Vehicle or a Passenger Vehicle. Both vehicles could have some bad guys in it, right?:dunno:

26. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Then limos shouldn't be able to have tint. The officers would have something nice to look at with all the hooker$ and pro$titute$ in there!

27. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

at least 1/4 of the popos that have pulled me over are nice, and understanding. and I've received tickets from them.

the other 3/4 were complete poopheads

28. HoLsTeR

poopheads smell bad

29. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Get pulled over? Right hand at 12:00, left hand hanging out the open window. Everone will be friends :)

30. Hallywood

Not really that great of a story...

I was driving in Edina on York just south of 62 heading towards Southdale. I saw the cop sitting at the intersection waiting to turn. After I passed ( I was in my Subaru btw) he decides to follow me, he followed me PAST Southdale and in that time he pulled right up next to my driver's window. He looked at me, I looked at him and smiled. He then slammed on his breaks, have you ever seen Super Troopers? I swear to god....he pulls about a foot behind me and turns on the cherries and the sirens. I'm like what the hell, do I have warrant out or something?

He comes up and asks, "Why aren't you wearing your glasses?" I asked, "Glasses? Uhh I don't have my sunglasses with me?" He said "No, your prescription glasses, give me your license." I proceeded to give him my license, he then hands it back and tells me to read the back of it.

Sure enough, it says "Restrictions: Prescription Glasses"

I told him that I just moved, had my address changed and they must have messed up because I have never been prescribed glasses. I even had my old license with me. He didn't believe me, made me park my car in some apartment buildings parking lot and get a ride or he would tow my car.

That was pretty much the end of it, besides going to court and trying to explain to them that yes, even the DMV can mess up something as simple as an address change for a drivers license.

31. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

I with drawl my previous statement. I just got nailed for it in Eden Prairie today.

32. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

ticket or warning? also, where in EP and was it badge #32?

33. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

I got a warning but it will turn into a ticket if I don't have a cop sign off on it. I was by the ep mall. The guy whipped a u turn and weaved through cars in order to pull me over.

34. Hallywood

So are you taking it off or paying it?

35. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

Paying it. Unless I can get one of my cop buddies to sign off on it.

36. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

then I will sue MN lawmakers for skin cancer ;)

37. sjwelna

sjwelna Well-Known Member

I have a question, does anyone know of any places to get tint removed? I have 35% on the front 2 and 15% on the rear 5 windows on the forester from being in NC. I'm trying to "find a way to keep it" however I may have to just take it off. Stupid MN tint laws....... my eyes are really sensitive after having lasik eye surgery but I couldn't even get the doc down here to write me anything that did the surgery. :(

-Steve

38. AK47Drift

AK47Drift New Member

this just sucks

time for everyone to smash out there windows for the insurance company

39. Vorgto

Vorgto BANNED

Lets start a group Sue!...

40. Hallywood

Blow dryer / heat gun and goo gone works wonders.

41. sjwelna

sjwelna Well-Known Member

Oh ok, I have a heat gun so that might work. I read somewhere that I had to soak the tint with pure ammonia first, then peel, then scrub/scrape with a razor for hours per window....

-Steve

42. yangsTa

yangsTa Well-Known Member

My buddy has 15% tints all around and still no ticket.

43. frichdan

frichdan New Member

How is it that Cops can have tint all over their cars, not trucks? Also, Ive gotten pulled over for having a cheap gas station air freshener hanging down from my mirror cause it was "blocking my vision" (was hanging 3 inches below my mirror) and yet, cops have a laptop, camera, and god knows whatever else on their dash.

Is it cause they've been "trained" to drive with that stuff there? (Serious question, I'm just really curious)

Im also wondering about cell phones. Who here has ever seen a cop driving and chatting away on his cell? When I got pulled over for my air freshener, the cop was tailing me for about 2 miles chatting on his cell, as soon as he hangs it up, he pulls me over... lol?

I have had nothing but issues with cops since I bought my subie from Will last year :p.

And dont get me wrong, I have tons of respect for cops and have a bunch of friends who are cops, like everyone else here, hate the **** ones and I feel there is a double standard for a lot of the laws.

44. yangsTa

yangsTa Well-Known Member

45. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

I was on a damn ride along. One of the cops was on the phone at least 1/4 of his time driving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.