GrimmSpeed Group Buy - Cold Air Intake - 02-07 WRX/STI, 04-08 Forester XT

Discussion in 'Vendor Announcements/Sales/Discounts' started by GrimmSpeed, Nov 6, 2018.

1. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

The day is finally here! Introducing the GrimmSpeed Cold Air Intake for the 02-07 WRX/STI and 04-08 Forester XT. To see and learn more about it, and get signed up for discounted group buy pricing, check out this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gdintakegroupbuy/

DSC_0103-Edit.JPG

tangledupinblu and ryjacobs like this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yeah! I remember trying to get Justin to get on board and make one of these back in the garage days.

Glad to see that it has come into existence!

GrimmSpeed likes this.
  3. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

It's definitely been a long time coming! We had a bit of free time on our hands so it just made sense to complete our intake offerings.

-Art

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. tangledupinblu

Well they look great! My BRZ intake is a fantastic piece and i’m sure that these are just as high quality and fit just as well:)

GrimmSpeed likes this.
  5. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Tempting! I assume this would fit my FXT better than the Cobb junk that’s on it now.

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Not sure how to word it, but my question would be something to the effect of what happened to "everybody" saying stick with the factory intake unless you're pushing over a certain horsepower? I remember when I first got my car reading about steering clear of cold air intakes because they just don't jive with the older cars.

Is that not really the case here or is it just another thing you have to properly tune for and if you do it's alright?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  7. tangledupinblu

You will have increased airflow. I would think that you would want a tune to accommodate it.

GrimmSpeed likes this.
  8. ryjacobs

I’m going to sign up for this, yay.

GrimmSpeed and tangledupinblu like this.
  9. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

It's all about reducing restriction, here's an excerpt I pulled from one of our engineers on the group buy page:

If you hang out on the interwebz long enough you'll inevitably see the "you don't need an intake until 300hp" argument. Now that statement itself is super misleading, and has been strangely interpreted. What it originally comes from is that the stock MAF diameter, and intakes sharing that size, have traditionally run out of resolution at airflow levels around 350-400hp. This is a physical limitation of the sizes and the sensor itself. The stock diameter size being a choke to airflow would occur at a ridiculous horsepower level, so that is not the issue. I mean, if you were tuning on speed density, the stock intake would technically not choke as far as I know at any reasonable power level. What would happen though is that it would be a source of restriction, and a substantial one at that. The pressure drop from the entire inlet would start to be a deciding factor in how much boost you were producing.

The fact of the matter is that even in completely stock form an intake like ours proves to reduce restriction, over 1.5psi here in fact.

So as far as a power level goes, it supports whatever level your tuner can keep measuring airflow at, all the way down to stock. I hope this makes sense, and if it doesn't please let me know and I can go on."

-Art

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  10. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

Haha, correct, and you're not the first to say that exact thing.

-Art

11. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

In short: want vs need vs bang for your buck vs tuning options throughout the years vs mod path IMHO.

Longer answer... my perspective it that back in the day circa 01-02, a lot of people modding their wrx came from the honda IHE world. At the time there were what, 3 tuning options? Ecutek, vishnu, stand alone, and eventually Cobb. There were like 4 intakes to choose from and none of them had any maf housing diameter specs... some of them had far from stock dimensions as well. None of the short ram style ones had any sort of heat shielding at the time from what I recall. Took like 5-6 years for a half-ass option. All that said, the stock airbox and MAF isn't as big of a bottle neck as other components (fueling, exhaust restriction, etc) so the short answer that got parroted was "save your money." As we all know, it's all context dependent and I do what I want.

Anyway, glad to see companies still developing and producing products for the GD platform.

12. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

Here's a quick vid of our trip out to JM for intake testing:

-Art

13. tangledupinblu

That thing looks fantastic in there. Well done!

petrakov08 and GrimmSpeed like this.
  14. ryjacobs

I agree, it looks nice!

GrimmSpeed and petrakov08 like this.
  15. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Really?! A *%&* Facebook link? You are right here on the forum, and you couldn't set it up here?! Lame

<- Someone that might have been interested...

16. ryjacobs

I assume that’s because the FB location was a mostly-centralized place where people could sign up for the group buy and they could keep track of the names.

Of course, not everyone has a FB account, but it was probably the most-efficient solution compared to keeping track of several forums.

GrimmSpeed likes this.
  17. tangledupinblu

I missed out on a handful of past opportunities because i lacked the FaceBallz.

phi11 likes this.
  18. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

Exactly this; monitoring 5 major forums, Facebook, Instagram, email, and phone calls is a daunting task for a group buy. In the past we would use Nasioc as the centralized place for them so lots of Subaru enthusiasts had access, but they've since switched up the way group buys work and you can no longer run it as a combined group buy/product development thread, so essentially there's no customer interaction/product updates. At the end of the day group buys are about selling as much of the product as possible, that's how we can justify the lower initial cost in order to start recouping money spent on development. The fact is a majority of people have Facebook; very, very few have an MNSubaru account, or Newenglandimprezaowners.org, or ForesterXTownersofTexas.com, or whichever. We can use small forums like this to notify everyone that a new product is being released, but to host a group buy on all of them isn't in the realm of possibility. That's not to say if you don't have Facebook you can't get signed up, just shoot us an email and we'll make it happen :)

-Art

19. ryjacobs

DF4AB78F-A466-4005-94A1-7E34505C6C0C.jpeg

Received mine today! Can’t wait to get some free time to install it!

GrimmSpeed and tangledupinblu like this.
  20. tangledupinblu

Did you buy two!?:)

GrimmSpeed likes this.
  21. ryjacobs

Finally got this installed last night.

12BD5FBC-DECC-4DC6-9E6C-4CDE4AE0647C.jpeg B8D1A699-8DC2-4B80-9B0F-AAD474AA4475.jpeg

Like:
    -slightly quieter than the Cobb intake
    -better box design
    -easy installation, even for me
    -looks pretty in the engine bay
    -seems “fine” with the Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune

No Like:
    -to prevent the intake tube from rubbing on a hard line below it, I had to have the tube rotated so that it is angled upward

Personal Annoyance:
    -lost one of the coolant overflow line clips somewhere in the engine bay, so now it’s gone forever - I spent 2 hours looking for it

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  22. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

So, on A stage 2 car, will you have to have your car returned?