GS Relocation Kit - SJ Forester (2014+)

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by JuStaWRX, Jul 9, 2015.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Greetings all,

I did a fitment test with the Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit for best fitment on the 2014+ Subaru Forester. All tests were done on a 2014 Subaru Forester XT. A big thank you to Grimmspeed, and particularly Art for his assistance in this venture.

There were two kits that were tested for fitment, as there is not one specific kit currently made for the SJ Foresters. The two kits were:
    1. 2008-2014 Imreza/WRX/STi
    2. 2005-2009 Subaru Legacy kit, and the 2010+ Legacy, Outback and BRZ/FRS kits.

Both kits can work, but deciding on which kit will also depend on your desired position.

Using the 08+ Impreza kit, you will have a gap between the bumper and the plate of around 3-5 inches. I drove with this for a few months and enjoyed it. This is the easiest for plug and play.

With the BRZ kit, the fitment is much closer to the bumper. In order for this kit to work, you have a few options. 1. Add a third spacer (not included in the kit - kits include two spacers). 2. Buy a replacement bolt that is longer than the bolt included (M8 x 1.25 x 25 socket low head SST cap screw w/ blue thread lock patch), and purchase more spacers (either through GS or with alternative spacers from your local hardware store). I have used three spacers on mine and although the thread is not caught deeply, it is holding strong. I may stick a 3M strip or something on the back just to protect the bumper paint from going over bumps and such, but it would not be necessary. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Attached Files:

petrakov08 and phi11 like this.
  2. petrakov08

petrakov08 Well-Known Member

Great write-up :) Thanks for being a bit of a guinea pig on this one!

-Art

JuStaWRX likes this.
  3. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Hey J,

How is this holding up for you? Still happy with it?

4. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Hey! It has held up well, with the exception of Walser putting it through the wash and decimating the Grimmspeed frame (but the actual kit held strong!).

I have liked it quite a bit, and I think it helps to separate me from a lot of the other white Foresters that seem to be everywhere on the road now. One of those great aesthetic things that is a 5 minute job, and adds some character. I'd still highly recommend it!

Ctracey218 likes this.