GUNS!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jerf, Dec 18, 2012.

1. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

I plan on getting another mosin to mess with (stocks and whatnot), Since this one is in such good shape, I wanna leave this one period correct. And honestly, the kick feels good.

2. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Finally got my permit today. Almost exactly a month after submitting the paperwork.
    Once we get finances settled hopefully I can find a 9mm XDM. In the meantime, I will be looking for ammo.
    Anyone else watch Hickok45 YouTube channel? He reviews guns and generally has a good time putting a dozen mags through them each time. It's a lot of fun.

3. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Fwiw my dad found an XD at Fleet Farm. Also check with DKmags amd Arnzen Arms before you try Bills or Gouger Mountain or Cabelas.

Also be warned, 9mm is ****in hard to find and pricey right now. Prices still haven't come down from the market panic after our douchebag elected officials tried to ram their brand of forced pacifism down our throats.

4. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Everything is hard to find right now, I have a feeling it could be a year or better before the ammo situation shakes out.

That's the upside of having a round like .357SIG, it's not a real common one so it's not in huge demand. Of course, it's still expensive as hell :(

5. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

I'm really glad I got the XDm .40 rather than the 9mm. Every few weeks Fleet Farm gets the boxes of 100 rounds for $36.00 in. They're limiting people to 1 box per day but at least I can get them. I never expected .22 rounds to be in such short supply. I can't even find a local place that has any.

And, I found a local sportsmen's club that I'm going to join and have a place to shoot out on the west side.

6. pbedroske

I noticed at Fleet Farm in Rochester the only rounds they had were .38 and .40. I think they had a .45 XDm in the case ( might have been .40 though - had to chase the little man around). They don't carry the 2-toned one that I want to get.

Any idea, and I doubt it's possible, if I call ahead to some dealer or Cabella's - would they hold or order a gun and let me know when it's in? I really doubt it because I'm sure they're out the door as soon as they come in stock.

7. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Reeds sporting is having their annual event this April 19-21 in Little Falls. they welcome pre orders for the show and they'll pay for your sales tax. I'm still trying to decide what my next piece would be at this point. you can try all their guns for FREE.

8. Gridlocked

pbedroske, if you want to meet up sometime, I would be happy to let you shoot the .40. I was lucky to get the bi-tone. I called Gander on a Monday asking about inventory and they had 3 in stock of the 40, 3.8" in the bi-tone finish. By Wednesday, when I called again before heading down there, there was only one left. I ended up getting the one from the display case. I didn't have the permit to purchase yet, so I put $200 down for their law away program and applied for the permit on Thursday. I got the permit a week later and drove straight to Gander to get it. Gander was the only place that had any at the time.

9. pbedroske

We need to get together to discuss/exchange beer!

At some point I could host a shoot around at my place down here in Rochester. We can set something up in my woods or pasture as long as were aiming away from my buildings or the neighbors. Too much snow and eventually too much mud for anytime soon.

10. Gridlocked

Sounds good to me! There is no place to shoot out here on the west side of the twin cities. I'm going to a sportsmen's club meeting on Tuesday night and am likely to join.

11. Gridlocked

12. pbedroske

I found 9mm FMJ 50 packs online - ordered 3 - and a 25 count of JHP. Total came to $153 shipped. One of my coworkers does reloads. I'll save my brass for him.

13. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

14. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Ouch again! Save the brass for yourself;) unless he's reloading for you.

15. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

BTW-Musashi mentioned the Reeds sporting goods event coming up in little falls next month. Anyone looking to buy may want to call and see what they will have on hand. Reps from different manufacturers will be there and you can actually shoot all kinds of different guns. I'll be out of town this year but have gone the past few years and normally go home with a new toy. they're advertising pallets of ammo too but it'll go quick.

Musashi likes this.
  16. derp

derp Well-Known Member

New toy today :)

17. twonami

twonami New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A quick sample

18. ShortytheFirefighter

Eley ammo is match grade stuff, not plinking ammo. That's a fairly reasonable price for it actually.

19. ShortytheFirefighter

Well, let's see it!

20. ShortytheFirefighter

Very nice collection. How do you like the 17L?

21. twonami

twonami New Member

17L is good. Not as fine a tack driver as my sig 210 but close. In the hands of a real shooter it would be better,

22. derp

derp Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

kongzilla and badbennyb like this.
  23. twonami

twonami New Member

24. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I get that, but Ted appears to be looking for .22lr for his M&P. I don't want him thinking this is a reasonable route to take when looking at ammo for his family to shoot.

25. twonami

twonami New Member

Wolf .22 ammo is also a good target ammo

26. pbedroske

yes, brass for him to reload for me.

badbennyb likes this.
  27. Gridlocked

I tried to order 5 boxes, but I got an E-mail yesterday saying that the order was on hold for some reason and I need to call on Monday for more information. I realize that it's not a reasonable price for plinking/range ammo but it's the cheapest stuff I can find, and I want a couple of boxes just so I have something to shoot. I got two cheap boxes when I got the gun but that isn't going to last very long. Every time I've been to any of the Gander's, Dicks or Fleet Farm, the shelves are 100% bare. I've been calling the places I just listed as well as Cabin Fever and the Eden Prairie Wallmart every day since I got the M&P - no dice.

28. Gridlocked

Which locations were these, if you don't mind me asking?

29. Gridlocked

Have any of you guys ever shot the M&P 15-22? I think it would be a lot of fun. I would like some kind of AR platform but don't have the 1700+ to drop on a "real" one.

30. mdstahl

mdstahl Member

I have one and its great.. A lot of fun and cheap to shoot.

[​IMG]

31. twonami

twonami New Member

[​IMG]

the MP5 .22 are also a lot of fun

mdstahl likes this.
  32. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

I wanna try! Lol.

33. 4drcivicmaster

4drcivicmaster Well-Known Member

Nice 17L! I have a 34.

34. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

5 pages and the only bolt guns mentioned are Mosins? Does anyone else have any precision rifles? I've got a pair of Savages with a lot of work done to them:
    [​IMG]
    Foreground is a 110BA and the one in the background is a 10FCP .308 with a 5R barrel. Here's a video my dad took of me ringing steel at 400 yds with the .308 while I was up visiting them last fall:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10330532/steel400yds.MOV
    I get around with these things, too. The pic above was down here in TX, the video was at a range in the UP, and I've got pics of the BA at the range in St. Cloud.

Fun update to the .308 this week, I'll have to post pics of it later.

kongzilla, MNSnoDrifter and badbennyb like this.
  35. derp

derp Well-Known Member

It's because Mosin is all that is needed. Is plenty of gun.

If good enough for Comrade Zaitzev, is good enough for Comrade Derp.

36. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

You can ask but it's probably pointless:( It really seems like you just gotta get lucky sometimes. Gander was in Blaine and Walmart was Sauk Centre. If I come across any more I'll make sure some has your name on it.

37. Gridlocked

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I do want to mention that I understand that 10 bucks/box for range ammo isn't reasonable when you can get decent enough ammo for a fraction of the cost. It's just the cheapest thing I've seen online in a couple weeks and it would at least get me something to go have some fun.

38. RallyNavvie

Got my Form 4 back from the ATF last week so I was able to pick this up from my SOT tonight:
    [​IMG]
    Looking forward to some quiet time at the range this weekend!

39. MNSnoDrifter

MNSnoDrifter Well-Known Member

this thread reminded me about a bunch of videos that are popping up about shoutguns vs AR's

40. RallyNavvie

Can't roll my eyes hard enough. Most of the women shooting the ARs in the video are using proper posture and technique so they likely have some experience with them while the women with the shotguns are either not holding them properly, don't have a clue what they're doing, or are using one that is way too big for them. And an AR for home defense? Because sooooo many people know about frangible ammo? Home defense is still shotgun/handgun territory. A 20-gauge with a short barrel and AR-style stock is easy enough to wield in those situations.

I can't stress enough safety training and lots of practice for ANY firearm owner. It terrifies me going to a range and seeing some of the people there who obviously don't have a clue about firearms safety. They're keeping their finger on the trigger, not paying attention to where their muzzle is pointing, or don't even know how to work the action to remove a dud. I feel lucky I grew up in a family that hunted and learned firearms safety from a young age but it seems not everyone is so fortunate. If you've never owned or fired a gun before in your life is it really so emasculating to take a damn class?

Not spouting at you, just the "gun crazy" lot that thought the latest gun control bill had a snowball's chance in hell. The gov just tricked them again. Biden is buffoon, but there is a little truth to what he was talking about (in context).

MNSnoDrifter likes this.
  41. MightyP

MightyP Member

I'm in Phoenix, moving to the cities shortly. Is ammo still hard to find there? Ammo is pretty available here and I'll stock up before i move if need be.

I have a 9mm and a.380Auto.

42. Gridlocked

Yes, it's relatively hard to find. My buddies that shoot 9mm have had trouble finding it recently.

43. MightyP

MightyP Member

Alright. Thanks for the info.

Gridlocked likes this.
  44. my97gt

my97gt Member

we have plenty of ammo in stock currently, but were located in the far SE corner so probably to far of a drive for most of you. current collection, Remington 1100, Ruger security six, Chinese SKS, Ruger 10/22, Savage .17 hmr heavy barrel, and in the process of paying of a Star 45 auto because it was cheap haha.

45. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Can you bring a truckload of ammo with you:D

bubba_crx and KA-T_240 like this.