Hello.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by noobyhere, Apr 12, 2013.

1. noobyhere

noobyhere New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and also new to the Subaru world. I have no experience with cars so I know NOTHING about it. My dad and relatives fix the cars for me but I am learning. I just want a good looking car that isn't too expensive to afford. I am a 19 year old student, living in Saint Paul with my parents, and I have a full time job that pays 9/hr, probably 1.1k/month from both checks. I don't have any bills but my phone bill which is 100$/month. I don't know how much insurance will be for me at this age but i heard its expensive. I might go under my parents insurance which is triple A .I'm planning on buying a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT and I have a couple of questions about it.The reason why I am planning to get one is because of the looks. If I do buy one, I am not planning to buy anything for it to save money. I am just going to buy what it needs to be fix, to help me get to school and home, to save money.
    Is LGT the best car to buy for a college student who still lives with his parents? Is it cheap?
    How much is insurance for a LGT? How much are your insurance if you own a LGT?
    What is the right price for a LGT for the right mileage?
    Other Cost to look out for when buying a LGT?
    I am currently looking at a 2005 LGT that has 117k for 9k. is that too much for the mileage?
    Please give me your opinion. If I am going on a stressful road, please let me know.
    Thank you very much.

2. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Lgt isn't too much to insure compared to the wrx/sti. Though it will be more expensive than a non turbo model. As for pricing on the car its hard to say, prices are all over the board. At that mileage make sure the timing belt has been re-done along with all other maintenance. Find out if it has been modified and if the banjo filters have been removed. That's a start.

phi11 likes this.
  3. noobyhere

noobyhere New Member

I have heard that wrx/sti are more expensive than LGT, that is why I'm staying away from them for now. Talking about turbo, are there any LGT that don't have turbo or do all have turbo? I have a buddie that knows a thing or two about Subaru so I'll take him along to help me out on finding the right LGT. Thanks for the reply!

4. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

A lgt without a turbo is a 2.5i legacy,
    Which is a great car!
    You should check out cars101, tons of Subaru info.

5. thakrazymule

thakrazymule Active Member

Call around and check with insurance companies if that's gonna be the deal breaker for ya. I almost went with a non turbo impreza, but called around, and progressive was the cheapest. I only pay $110 a month total for full coverage of my 06 Wrx, and my wife's 08 Xterra.

6. noobyhere

noobyhere New Member

Really? I didn't know that. LGT has the hood that makes it look way nicer! I'll go check out the website and look into the 2.5i legacy. Thank you for the reply.

7. noobyhere

noobyhere New Member

I will do that, Thanks for the reply!

8. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Welcome and good luck in your search.

Insurance is going to depend on a lot of factors specific to your situation. If you start a policy under your parent's existing policy, it'll almost certainly be cheaper than insuring it individually. Some factors that come into play are age, past insurance claims, location, etc... That said, we currently pay about 30% less on our lgt sedan than I did on my sti and wrx (which were almost the same).

When shopping for an lgt, I had some insurance agents tell me the wagon is marginally cheaper to insure than the sedan. Not sure if that's accurate or if it represents a general rule, but might be worth looking into. If nothing else, on average, the wagons are typically priced lower than a similarly spec'ed sedan. As mentioned, a non turbo legacy, as well as a non turbo impreza, forester, etc... sound like they might meet your criteria as well.

There are a few members here that work in insurance. MN3.6r in particular has answered many of my insurance questions and is great to work with. I recommend reaching out to him as well as your current agent.

9. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for the name drop :D. Idget is correct, The biggest factors for you will be the fact that you are 19, you will probably want full coverage, and depending on what zip code you are in St. Paul can be brutal for rates. If they are okay with it, I would go under your parent's policy. Are you currently on a policy as a driver? If so that will help, also if you are maintaining a B average that will help too. Feel free to PM me with any questions or just ask away. It would be tough to ball park a rate on your own without actually running a quote for you, but If I had to guess, I would say $170-270 month for insurance.

10. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Best car? No, 90's Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla or something

9k is fair with 117k

Insurance will depend on a lot of things, age, driving record, etc, but I pay $100/month and it's been dropping since

Cheapest would be to stay under your parents, but it's better to have/start your own policy. It'll be more expensive, but you got to start sooner or later. I was paying $300/month when I started mine

Good Luck with your search, They are great cars and plenty fast stock

11. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Disagree....legacy non turbo is going to be better then a civic that will more then likely get jacked.

12. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

No problems here tinkerbell

13. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

thats a fair price you could offer a bit less. at 117k you will want to make sure the 105k service was done including the timing belt. With the turbo you will ideally want a history of oil changes every 3750 miles. On an o5 there was a banjo bolt in the oil feed line to the turbo that alot of people take out so it does not get clogged (this is ideal since even subauru stopped putting those there on the later years). So if you get an inspection done or your dad pulls it out it should be either removed already or not clogged. Pull the downpipe and check the turbo for shaft play, also a leakdown compression test wouldnt hurt

check out the legacygt.com forum stickys

14. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

NA Subaru is good as well, how could I forget, 2.2 liter though

15. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

That's why you got out of your modded one peter pan?

16. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

2.5 is just as good

17. thakrazymule

2.2 LITRE. Learn to spell. That is all.

18. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Quoted for irony.

19. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Maybe he/she is European ;)

20. thakrazymule

Ha. Yeah, not quite European. But at least you kinda got it. That was my drunken, failed attempt of sarcasm last night. My bad. Haha:confused: