Help - My body guy abandoned me and I need to paint the car!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Rally Steve, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Rally Steve

Rally Steve Member

The guy that was helping me with the body work told me that he is over committed and can no longer help me paint the car. Is there anyone that can help me paint the car either this weekend or evenings with my help or next weekend with out my help. The car and parts are very close to being 100% ready to paint. Remember this is a race car paint job and doesn't have to be perfect. I have all the paint. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

What kind of paint are you using? Base/clear or single stage? Is it basically ready to shoot?

I did work at a body shop for 4 years and had a decent handle on painting towards the end of my time there, but that was also probably 4+ years ago at this point (basically, I'd be a little rusty). Willing to possibly give it a shot, tho, if nobody else with current experience chimes in. Got my own gun and am relatively close (Oak Grove).

Thanks for the heads up @tangledupinblu .

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

I'd help but my new paint gun is on back order. Good luck finding someone!

5. Rally Steve

Rally Steve Member

It is a single stage paint with no clear coat. I have the primer/sealer and the reducer. I am not a body guy at all but I think it is very close to being ready to shoot. Remember this is a rally car. As much as I want it to look perfect it will not be and it will be abused once its done.

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

The other important question I forgot to ask - do you have a place to shoot it? And an (awesome) air source?

7. Rally Steve

Rally Steve Member

We could hang plastic and shoot in my garage. An air compressor can be found.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  8. derp

derp Well-Known Member

9. Legsaucy

Legsaucy Well-Known Member

I'll be at the lax cruise this weekend. Could possibly do next weekend. I'm not at all interested in work that I didnt prep these days but as long as it's only used for rally and you understand that the prep work you're working with is what it is I'd be willing to shoot it. Have my own equipment and have painted a show car or two in barns lol. Feel free to shoot me a PM with location and pics and we can go over options.

euro and derp like this.
  10. Rally Steve

Rally Steve Member

I have a solution with a local body shop to get the car sprayed. It's going to cost me more than I wanted though. Thanks to everyone for the ideas, support and the willingness to help out. On the good side things are rapidly coming together. Once the car is Bright Electric Yellow and Hot Rod Black I will need to reassemble all the body parts. Once that is done it gets the new exhaust and DMS Rally Suspension. Then I start the tuning process. I still need to fit the skid plate and design and build the light bar.

02subbieRS and euro like this.
  11. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what local shop did you go with?

12. Rally Steve

Rally Steve Member

Frontier Autobody in Monticello. Small shop willing work with me came high recommended for price and work from a very knowledgeable trusted friend who works in the automotive industry.

euro likes this.