Help picking EJ20 block for hot rod project

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by euro, Aug 6, 2019.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I've spent the last couple of months researching various EJ16, EJ20 and EJ22 configs to see what would work best for the 1971 Volkswagen (type 3) Fastback I've been resto-modding. Ultimately I ended up picking EJ20 for availability and the CNC engine hanger and adapter that are readily available for the 2.0 but now need some help. NASIOC, here and a few other forums mentioned closed deck vs open deck, variations between US and JDM engine blocks, etc. etc. I'm not sold that I need the best of the best configuration since I won't be doing any power upgrades.

desired specs:
    Stock output
    TMIC will be moved to to a BMIC as well as the radiator
    I'll be making a shorter intake manifold to clear the rear trunk lid
    I'd like to keep the stock ECU if possible or recommendations for an aftermarket ecu if that might be easier.
    Cheaper is better, i'll spend money where needed but this is just a runabout fun car.

39861672660_609f50a6d8_k.jpg 48110774553_6d53584437_k.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

So, you want a turbo engine (you mention EJ16, EJ20 and EJ22, which implies N/A to me)?

The only EJ20 in the US is the EJ205 ('02-'05 WRX), which is a turbo and open-deck. Almost no variation in those.

If we start looking at other markets (which I assume you are, as the EJ16 was never offered here), there are a LOT of variations, turbo and otherwise. Many of those have variations in ancillaries and heads and such, so almost certainly will not all work with those engine hanger/adapter you mention. So that is likely your bottleneck.

3. euro

euro Well-Known Member

When i lived in Montana the local subaru guy at Sunrunner Subaru had a bunch of EJ16s in and out of cars, I guess i thought they were more common. I looked at both N/A and turbo as options originally and decided to go the turbo route in case I upgrade down the line (limit is in the engine hanger and mostly stock vw transmission).

Good to know the EJ205 is really the only domestic variant, it simplifies things a lot. Is it common to have shops add close deck inserts to subarus and would there be any benefit at stock power? (I've heard of this from Honda guys on B series motors)

4. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd add any power with that transmission choice and go na. 130 horse in a vw would be a hoot.

5. euro

euro Well-Known Member

The transmission has cryo treated straight cut drag gearset in it but it is your standard VW mag case so the weak spot is the case. Supposedly good for 200 hp as long as you're not dropping clutches

retreif and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

EJ18s were pretty common here, but only from '93 - ~'96. EJ16s are very common in the odder markets like central america and such.

Yep. Guy up here built a fastback VW with a slightly-modified EJ255 about 10 years ago. He said it was terrifying to drive even if the drivetrain held up (I don't remember what the transmission was, but I know he was breaking axles all the time). He didn't have it very long...

If 200hp is your cap, you're not going to have cylinder pressures to worry about an open deck block. If you go EJ205, you'll probably want to detune it.

Personally, I wouldn't even be looking at a turbo engine. For how light that car is, stock EJ251/253 power would probably be fun, simpler to install and SOOO much cheaper and lower maintenance.

But again, you're probably going to be most limited by this CNC engine hanger you mention (or, just make your own cradle). Do you have a link, or more information about this?

7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

good news is He might have mistakenly said 2.0 only when I found it through his social media ad. looks to be good for 4 cylinder subaru engines since the tabs for mounting aren't pre-welded.
    https://subisquared.bigcartel.com/product/4-cylinder-subaru-engine-hanger

Any idea if the width of the EJ251/253 is much different from the Ej205?

8. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Also Any pictures of that fastback? Rumor has it this exact fastback had a subaru swap once before 3+ owners ago.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I'll dig. The forum is long since gone....It had a GC hood scoop grafted onto the rear deck lid, and the floor pan was hacked up to accommodate the stock-location turbo.

Looks like those tabs bolt to the block right were the factory engine mounts attach, so yea, any EJ 4-cylinder should be fine.

I specifically suggested EJ251/253 as the SOHC heads are much smaller than the DOHC of the turbo engines (don't waste your time with EJ22t, so it doesn't count), or EJ25D. 253 is a little bigger with the VVT componentry,

Technically the phase 1 SOHC (90-95 EJ22e are best) heads are even smaller. It's a pretty common recipe in the old-gen Subaru circles to put early EJ22e heads on an EJ25 block, as you end up with a high compression 2.5, but the smallest exterior dimensions of any EJ (which is a challenge on Subarus made before '85). Google "Subaru Frankenmotor" for enough reading to make your eyes fall out.

Lots of [mostly accurate] information about the different combinations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine

euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Agreed on NA ej25x combo for something you actually intend to drive and enjoy on the street.
    Less wiring, less exhaust piping/clearance to worry about, less heat, no need to get crafty and/or hacky with a side mount or whatever intercooler...
    Also way less service items that will be impossible to get to after it's crammed in there.
    Turbo would be fun if you have a big bankroll.

11. thebionicman

thebionicman Well-Known Member

For my little car I went with an EJ207 V5 (JDM motor) then put the items I needed to run the EJ205 ECU (USDM). It had a spun bearing so it was rebuilt as a stroker with the EJ25 crank.
    IMG_0263.jpg .

12. euro

euro Well-Known Member

sounds like the same story i heard about mine from a previous owner. Hood scoop grafted to trunk lid, chassis all hacked up. picture attached is what it looked like when i got it (minus weird trunk lid). Might be the same car lol.

Attached Files:

13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Holy awesome.