Here she is gents, lady gents.

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Bnuts01, Mar 28, 2012.

1. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Is there enough material left to drill out for a HeliCoil? The overall hole size you need for those is quite a bit larger than the normal thread size. You could do a HeliCoil and then a stud. That should be very resistant to stripping out.

2. Bnuts01

Bnuts01 Well-Known Member

I did try one of those but my tap bottomed out and yup... she was done. But that was second idea for a fix.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. STiCH

STiCH Well-Known Member

Car is looking awesome. Definitely following this thread. Waiting for the reveal....

4. Bnuts01

Sorry for the delay didn't have much time between the removal and other plans. But here we go!

About a month or two ago I was wanting to build my motor! Like actually do it this time. So I set off on my quest for parts. BUT! I also wanted a 6 speed swap too. My 5MT has had some whines since the day I bought it. Well after xluben did his swap and made a thread I started looking more into the 6MT swap instead of the build. I tried buying a few salvaged vehicles that were totaled beyond repair. Came up with nothing :( . Finally two weeks ago the last car pushed me over the edge and I just went on ebay and boom there she was late '04 STi 6MT with 60k on it! I talked to some Jamaican guy and he sent some paperwork over then sent it out the following morning. Finally received it that Thursday and it has been waiting for its day ever since! Well here ya go guys and gals. My 6MT swap.

Started on it 8/2/13 at 6pm. Pulled everything off by 7:30 and my co-worker/employee/uncle eddy, who only has one jewel and was told he wasnt going to live 3 more month...3 years ago, came out and said "Stop grab ***ing and lets get this puppy out." 8pm the tranny was sitting on the ground ready for the next day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    Deride and phi11 like this.
  5. Bnuts01

Resurfaced OEM flywheel and Stage 4 6-puck Competition Clutch. Review on clutch after breakin period is over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the review of this clutch...

7. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

So all back together? I don't see a new up-pipe and ewg in there yet.

8. Bnuts01

Haha they are still in the box. Need to get some more info about something. Then they should be in.

9. Bnuts01

Added a few more photo's to that last post. But now for the my review on the Stage 4 6-puck Competition clutch! Sprung style

**Note: Photo's are not mine, added them for picture reference.**

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with this clutch because A: I had to stay with in my 6MT swap budget. and B: I Needed something that would hold a good amount of power for future items. *wink*

-Engagement: Best described as "brisk". You can tell it wants to start grabbing, there is no doubt about that. But certainly not undriveable on the street. You grow to driving the clutch and sooner or later you'll be driving it as if it were stock. At some points I'll feel it jerk but I am 90% that is because the footwear, cowboy boots, I wear isn't really suitable for these driving condition. But with shoes, it is a walk in the park.

-Pedal pressure: Stiffer than stock but nothing like what I thought it was going to be... I thought it was going to be moving my seat forward a click so I might have a little more bracing. But this is not at all that. However I did notice that the point to where the clutch pedal is at the floor and to where the clutch engages is closer than stock. A little trickier to get the hang of but it is possible to engage it as if it was a stock clutch.

Shifting: It drives as if it was stock, gentle, smooth, transitions. But when you do happen to release it to quick, you notice it. Hit hards but in a good way!

Additional info: I do not tend to "launch" my car or anything like that. But tonight I was curious how what it would do. So I rev'd up to about 4300rpm and then just dumped it. The GF's sunglasses flew off her head and she was shocked by what was going on. But I forgot to turn off traction control :( She did chirp tho!

Cliff notes:
    Overall I think this clutch is good for the price. Engages smooth enough for daily driving, but could get annoying when in stop and go traffic. The pedal is firmer and the engagement is closer than stock. Would recommend for that guy on a budget.

Any questions please feel free to ask and I will try to add them into my review.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Doing a test launch with the gf in the car :bounce:

Anyway, thanks for the review. Was this your impression after first installing the clutch, or have you completed the break-in? I suppose if its not broken in yet, it should only get easier.

I'm still considering this for my build but I haven't driven anything besides stock clutches before. Have you driven 4/6 pucks/upgraded clutches in the past? I'm thinking you may have found it easier to adapt if so.

11. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Puck clutches don't need much for break in.

How is the chatter? My sprung puck clutch had considerable chatter. The unsprung one was much better.

12. Bnuts01

She said I didn't mean to do that, pssh. haha

I was expecting worse driveability after hearing everyone say, "have fun with that." or something along those lines. I did meet their recommended break in period of 300 miles before I did said launch. But I will probably drive it more before I do something like that again just for giggles. From the day I installed it to today, the clutch has gotten an easier engagement. I still make it jerk every once in a while but still trying to get use to it.

I have not had any other type of clutch other than stock. I feel that if you expected the worse it seems to be easier. Like in my review, I thought I was going to brace myself with the seat to push it down, but it is nothing like that.

13. Bnuts01

Have not really notice a lot of it, neither did my grandpa when he road tested it. I'll drive it tonight and see if I notice any chattering while doing some in town driving.