Heya All

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by MCJT, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I just bought a 2004 STi with 20K on it from CA and should get it on the 13th or 14th. OMG, this car is going to make me so broke. I can't believe all of the stuff available for it. I've owned a Contour SVT for years and have done some modifications to it, but there isn't nearly the selection that I've found with owning a Subaru.

I work a ton, usually Fri and Sat nights, but hope to get out and hook up with some of you before the snow flies. :D

Josh

2. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Welcome JOSH! Good luck on the Sti. I Have a friend that drives a svt contour to. I'll see you out at the meets and university,

YIA

3. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

This is an automated message: Welcome Josh Thoma! :D

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the car! If you don't see the group before the snow hits, why not during the snow? ;) We have plenty of events in the winter... Ice racing and Snowpus are two good examples. :D

5. Grimm

Grimm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

We have plenty of events in the winter... Ice racing and Snowpus are two good examples. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    4 wheel drive for the win!
    Welcome

Erik

6. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

Welcome to the broke club...I mean Subaru Club J/k:D

7. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

welcome to the club! just wondering, why buy one all the way from cali when there's some in MN? something nice about that particular STi?

8. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

By snow flies, I was just saying soon. I can't wait to tear around in the snow! Ice racing sounds awesome. While on winter, any suggestions for winter tires?

I bought it from CA because I couldn't find any around here with some miles at the price I paid, even after shipping costs. Plus, this on had the smaller spoiler that I wanted.

9. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Welcome Josh!

These are tires I'm looking forward to this coming winter: http://www.nokiantyres.com/

I'm not going full winter tires as we haven't seen much snow here in MN. You'll have your snowy day but most of the time the road are cleared up so I'm going all season but from what I've read the WR has good traction in snowy road considering it's an all season tire.

Best bang for the buck though, go Continental ContiExtremeContact. I've used it last winter and I would use it again if price start to become an issue.

10. kickin_81

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

Best bang for the buck though, go Continental ContiExtremeContact. I've used it last winter and I would use it again if price start to become an issue.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That's your opinion, and your opinion to me is like an asshole because everyone has one... even the 'The Man from F' has one. In my opinion when driving in the winter, you don't want to go cheap on winter rubber. The rubber is the only thing that contacts the surface of the road. That's what keeps you from plowing into the ditch, signs, pole, car, person, etc. when something jumps in your way. A few members here have had experiences that I don't think they're afraid to share from the last winter. :I

11. yosmiley

Josh, ignore Fong... he's had a bad day. The GF didn't give him any.

Back on topic here, do you plan on running your stock Rim this winter as well?

12. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

I bought a set of bronze 18" BBS's with S03's on them on eBay. Which, at this point I'll have before my car. (It just left CA today :( ) I'll run the stock 17's with winter or all seasons.

Good point on the all seasons. I don't change them on my Audi in winter as it's awd and have never felt the need. I might just get a set.

13. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

That's your opinion, and your opinion to me is like an asshole because everyone has one... even the 'The Man from F' has one.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The GF didn't give him any.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:..........

My opinion is HAVE FUN with AWD in snow. I ran some nittos with 2" of snow on the ground and flew into a curb 2 yrs ago, that was the young days though. I still made it home. My body kit is still on after a few curb incidents....:roll:

14. nickmsn2

nickmsn2 Guest

I'm not going full winter tires as we haven't seen much snow here in MN. You'll have your snowy day but most of the time the road are cleared up so I'm going all season but from what I've read the WR has good traction in snowy road considering it's an all season tire.

If you'd had real snow tires, you wouldnt have left half your bumper out on lake cynthia last winter. :p

On topic: congrats on the STI.

-Nick

15. yosmiley

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    If you'd had real snow tires, you wouldnt have left half your bumper out on lake cynthia last winter. :p

-Nick

LOL, Nick... that's a good question because I do wonder also if I had full winter tires would I save my bumper? Even the Audi guys who were running full winter tires had worst wreck to their bumpers than mine.

Nick, ya got your car back yet?

16. kickin_81

Josh, ignore Fong... he's had a bad day. The GF didn't give him any.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Oh don't worry about me. I get my days, and for your information, it doesn't directly relate to "getting any." :)

I use 205/55-16 Yokohama Icegaurd IG721 tires on my car. Remember, thinner tires are better for keeping the car planted on a slippery surface.

17. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Snow is something you can prepare for, but ice on the other hand in MN you can't. There is just so much you can do here that is legal. It soo bad we cant use studded tires. I remember late last winter when all the sudden at about 9am it started snowing like crazy and there was over 100 accidents, one of the major ones was on hwy 94 and 280.

My suggestion is if your gonna drive your STI, which will be alot of fun in the Snow, definitely invest in some good SNOW/ICE tires. IMO if you were just driving anyother car, you could get away with all season's.

And another thing the worst times to drive is when the snow starts coming at the begining of the season and at the end of the season; you can't believe how many moron's are out there.

C

18. yosmiley

Josh, ignore Fong... he's had a bad day. The GF didn't give him any.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Oh don't worry about me. I get my days, and for your information, it doesn't directly relate to "getting any." :)

I use 205/55-16 Yokohama Icegaurd IG721 tires on my car. Remember, thinner tires are better for keeping the car planted on a slippery surface.

Fong, Josh doesn't have a RS or WRX... he's got a STi so he can't get thinner tires unless he downgrade his brakes?

19. TrisNiN

TrisNiN Well-Known Member

The Extreme Contacts are not the greatest winter tire, I had them on my GTI. I would buy them again, just not for a winter tire. I prefer Nokian and Blizzaks.

20. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

I just picked up some of the blizzaks that the suby dealership was offering and I am yet to be disappointed. Only time I slip is when I want to but still even that involves my e-brake

21. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

22. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

Btw, WOOOOT, got it today. They dropped it off outside my work downtown and the cops were instantly yelling at them. It came on a 10 car 18 wheeler. It is in great shape. I even washed it today. Yes, in the rain. Some small pebbles had fallen down from the car above it on the truck. It goes in tomorrow for a few goodies I got for it.

Oh, I didn't see a wheel lock anywhere in the car. Think the dealer forgot to put it in the car before they shipped it? No manual either. :mad: Is the lock kept in a hiding spot somewhere?

23. MCJT

MCJT Well-Known Member

Doh,

Found the wheel lock.

24. nickmsn2

nickmsn2 Guest

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

-Nick

LOL, Nick... that's a good question because I do wonder also if I had full winter tires would I save my bumper? Even the Audi guys who were running full winter tires had worst wreck to their bumpers than mine.

Nick, ya got your car back yet?

I was following not too far behind you and my dunlop m2's kept me out of the snowbank. Also kept me on the road up at sno*drift. I won't ever run all seasons again; the dunlop m2's and the intermediate nokians that so many of the audis run have vastly better control and grip on snow/ice and are very tolerable for daily driving.

No, my car wont be ready for a little while yet. I missed bir(Randy Pobst was there!! grrrr) and Ill miss ra next week too. If its ready be end of the next week ill try to head down to mam with you guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.