HID Conversion Kit recommendations?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by viciouslove, Mar 6, 2017.

1. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

I know its not really a big deal, but it seems to be harder than what it should be just to find a good kit that will last. I've been looking to get a 1000k (55w) set for my bugeye's high/low beams. So I just wanted to see what you guys recommend?

Thanks.

2. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

3. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

4. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

Curious as to what direction you end up going. Also looking to go Hid on my bugeye.

5. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

What is this going in? Hopefully not an F40, but I'd like to see it! Do you plan on doing a full retrofit with new projectors?

And the lowest standard Kelvin bulb is 3000k (yellow in color). 4-5000k will be your standard light color and optimum light output. The higher the kelvin actually the less light output you'll have. 10000k will be a purplish and I think would suck for a DD...not enough output and I think the color would mess with my eyes after a while. 55w ballasts would probably help the light output, but I'd stay in the 4-6000k range. That's my personal preference I guess

6. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money on HID in your stock housings. Go with LED. So much better.

7. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

I'm still unsure of what HIDs to get, but would need projector housings first. Then need to retrofit em

8. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

Haha I wish I had an F40! Yeah I do plan on doing a full retrofit on the new projectors, so looking at which ones to get before I get a HID kit. I wanted a dark blue color so that's why I chose 10000k but might just go with 6000k for now.

Here she is. Hopefully will be able to get in a new paintjob and wheels in soon. Just had it for a couple weeks now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    joebush44 likes this.
  9. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

Hm well what makes it better?

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I would assume that they are brighter, require no modification, and will last longer?

Just black out the housings by pulling them apart and painting. Then slap in some LED's and you're good to go.
    IMG_6610.PNG

Terry Ammerman likes this.
  11. joebush44

Eek, I still wouldn't put LED's into halogen housings...

Retrofit some projectors into the housings then make the choice to go LED or HID. I prefer HID, but I have no experience with LED either...

I recently did a retrofit on my RS headlights. Morimoto D2s mini 4.0 projectors, Morimoto XB55 ballasts, Morimotor 5500k bulbs. Total was around $300. You shouldn't have any problem fitting those into the bugeye housing. Then you just choose the shroud style you like. I went with the e46r shrouds, but had to cut them down significantly to make them fit in my housings.

12. tangledupinblu

Any pics of the process Joeski?

13. joebush44

Nothing very detailed, unfortunately, no. Once I opened the lenses, I was in get-it-done mode lol

The d2s projectors themselves drop right into the stock housing without any modification to the projector or the housing whatsover.

e46r shroud was completely round on top, I had to cut it down to make it fit properly in my housings. I used a bench top sander to get a nice straight cut and it worked great. It's very hard cutting a concave piece in a straight line with a dremel!
    [​IMG]

On the bottom, I had to clearance the shroud just a little bit so it would sit more flush to the projector glass/housing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut, sand, fit, repeat.
    [​IMG]

Once the shroud is fitting nicely, you want to JB weld that sucker to the projector housing to keep it where you want it. I found the Kwik weld works the best since it sets up hard in just a few minutes.

New vs Old
    [​IMG]

Fin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

That looks great!! You make it look so simple to do for someone here who probably doesn't have the right tools and its a first time retrofitting anything lol. How long did it take? And where did you find the projectors?

15. joebush44

I spent a few hours on each one, but I'm kinda OCD. The second one was easier, as usual, once you kinda get a game plan after doing the first one. This was my first retrofit, but I've split headlights several times in the past (S-10, bugeye, and hawkeye).

Really the only tools you need are an oven to bake the lights to separate the lens from the housing and a flathead screwdriver to help separate them. You can get a smaller shroud that shouldn't require any cutting. Many people use the Gatling Gun or Gatling Gun 2.0 shrouds as they are smaller and should require very little, if any, modification to make them fit.

I recommend TheRetrofitSource.com or lightwerkz.net

If I had to do it differently, I'd probably go with 35w ballasts instead of 55w because they are bright as ****! I might change them out eventually.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. joebush44

With a bugeye though, you could find some JDM or EDM headlights. You'd still need to get a HID kit (ballasts, igniters, bulbs) unless you can find the headlights with OEM ballasts etc. Going this route probably isn't the cheapest route if you're wanting to keep costs low. Another downfall would be that the cutoffs are RHD instead of LHD.

When I had my bugeye I had a set of JDM headlights and I converted the projectors to LHD by swapping out the cutoffs. They used to sell the LHD cutoffs on ebay for like $150, but I don't know if they still have them out there. I used an HID kit that I got from lightwerkz. I don't remember what brand, it was several years ago now. Even had the OEM headlight leveling switch operational.

[​IMG]

viciouslove and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  17. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Bugeye HID's... Yes please. Someday, hopefully.

viciouslove likes this.
  18. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

You literally just throw the headlights in the oven & bake them?? o.o LOL for how long?? I've also been looking for some JDM headlights but haven't had much luck.. I'll look on the other two sites you mentioned. Price isn't too much of a big deal to me as long as the quality matches.

19. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

Yesss, I've been wanting mine for weeks now lol

20. tangledupinblu

JDM are really nice headlights! Typically sell for around$800-1000 tho.:unsure:

21. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

I know! I figured that's how much they'd cost. Idk if to go JDM or just take the easier route and get some other projectors with the halos -.- ..

22. joebush44

Yep, 200-225* for about 8-10 minutes (do one at a time). Take it out, unclip the clips/unscrew screws holding the lens to the housing and carefully pry the lens from the housing. When you put them back together, use some butyl rubber (windshield weld) to reseal the lens to the housing, pop it back in the oven for a few minutes to soften up the sealant and then put the clips/screws back in.

Lightwerkz is a "vendor" for The Retrofit Source, everything they order comes from TRS.

I've seen JDM/EDM bugeye headlights recently go for 4-500 just for the headlights. When I bought mine several years ago they were around $800, so I think the price has gone down some. I think there are two versions of housings, chrome and "black chrome" and I think the black chrome are more sought after and go for a little more money.

viciouslove likes this.
  23. joebush44

viciouslove likes this.
  24. viciouslove

viciouslove New Member

Oh alright that seems fairly easy. I'll give it a try. Hopefully I don't mess anything up lol. And I'll have to check out Lightwerkz for sure. Thanks again for the help :p

25. joebush44

There are some existing tutorials out there on splitting the headlights, read up first :)

If they are really hard to get pulled apart, don't force it, put them back in the oven for a few more minutes and try again. Good luck!

tangledupinblu likes this.