High idle with hot weather...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by zisson33, Jun 22, 2009.

1. zisson33

zisson33 Well-Known Member

So sitting in traffic on 94 while its 94 my idle was sitting pretty high on the tach. After hitting high speeds, the idle drops but it takes awhile to reach those speeds while sitting in traffic. So, I did a little research and I think that I'm able to pin it down to the cruise control cable at the throttle. Has anyone had the same issues? I read that this was common in 2004 and previous years, but I'm sporting an 05.

What are your thoughts? We are supposed to get a nice stretch of 90's and driving in traffic with high idle can get difficult. Thanks!

2. 02wrxdude

02wrxdude New Member

do you have the AC on? That also bumps up the idle

3. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

The extra load form the a/c compressor turns the idle up.

4. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

No, this is probably something else. There is an idle parameter in the ecu for when the a/c is on -- and it is only a couple hundred rpm higher.

My old car used to do this on REALLY hot days, especially when sitting in stop and go traffic. The idle would rise up to around 1800 rpm and would stay there until things cooled off from sufficient airflow.

Loosening the throttle cable from the cruise control unit seemed to temporarily fix the issue but it would always seem to come back. My guess is that the unit itself would start to malfunction due to the heat off of the turbo/downpipe and those really hot days would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

5. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Mine did the same thing at the Amery Airport event this weekend after my first pass. I recall it did it last year there too. Turning the heat on and cranking the fan to high caused the idle to drop down a bit. Makes me want to consider heat wrapping the exhaust manifolds, uppipe etc.

6. Dirtywagon

Dirtywagon Member

Mine does this exact thing. All winter was fine but when it starts to get hot out it acts up. When I was up at back to the 50s, it started doing it really bad until i got onto the highway. I'm gonna try to test drive it with a scantool soon on one of my days off.

7. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I've never had this problem, even when it was even hotter. I wonder if its the DBW throttle in mine that fixes it...

8. zisson33

What is a DBW throttle?

It also happens with the A/C off and the windows down...

9. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

drive by wire, your 05 is drive be cable I think.

10. zisson33

Can anyone further explain the difference between a drive by wire and a drive by cable? A wire and cable sound the same to me, but I have to imagine thats not the case.

What does it take to do a conversion? Are there pros other than the throttle not sticking in excessive heat?

11. john

john Well-Known Member

Drive by wire is electronic - there's not a physical link (cable ro rod) between the go-fast pedal and the throttle body. There's a potentiometer (I believe) which reads the position of the pedal and the ECU then tells a servo how much to open or close the throttle plate.

12. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

uh, buy a new car?

lol.

13. Dirtywagon

Dirtywagon Member

Was gonna try to clean the IAC but that would do it all the time, one would think.

14. hxiong

hxiong Member

yeah im having the same thing happen to me too,
    i own a 05 and in stop n go traffic the thing just keeps on climbing and
    i dont even have the a/c on

the highest the rpm went to was about 2500 rpm

15. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Happened again on the drive home yesterday. I'm going to try and adjust the cruise control cable as suggested by Wall of TVs. I can't remember the last time I even used it.

16. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

Check both cables, we see this sometimes, and it always seems to be the cables are too tight.