High miles-2003 WRX-how long do I have?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by shrinkingasore, Nov 26, 2009.

1. shrinkingasore

shrinkingasore New Member

Hey I'm a brand new Subaru owner. I just bought a 03 WRX wagon with 177,000. I got a fantastic deal....too good to pass up. The car only had 1 previous owner and he did a great job maintaining it. Not knowing a lot about Subarus.....how long to typically wrx's last? Will they go well into the 200k if maintained??? I know that every car is different but Im just curious about a ball park estimate. I love the car!!!

2. errorcode3

errorcode3 Member

mine isn't an 03, but my 95 has 230 some k on it right now.
    edit
    also since you didn't list the motor, or mods it may be difficult to tell exactly "how long you have"

3. Motorhead

Motorhead Well-Known Member

Recommend putting BP "93" octane only to eliminate timing problems. Do a search for BP and "Bullwinkle" on this forum which will provide you more details. I would do it for ya but gotz tings to do.

Good luck and enjoy the great Subaru experience! (Should also mention that this board has alot of informative people so it is a good resource to use *as needed* while comparative to prescription drugs consuming too much can make you sick, haha)

4. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

'03 wrx is only going to have one kind of motor. 2.0l. Unless it was swapped :hsdance:

shrinkingasore: Is there any mods done to the car?

5. shrinkingasore

shrinkingasore New Member

There are no mods to the car other than a turbo timer he installed....which honestly....i have no idea how to use.

Thanks so much guys for your insight. Im new to the subaru community and dont know a ton about cars...but I want to learn and I love the car!

any tips on how I can keep it running long is greatly appreciated.

6. errorcode3

errorcode3 Member

lol it was late when i posted that, i meant more so like auto/manual, and mods..sorry for sleeping on the job..

7. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I would flush all of your fluids and start off clean. Maybe even give the car a quick tune with spark plugs and wires. You never really know how good or bad someone took care of the car. But flushing everything out will start you off on a good foot. If you don't know how to do it there are people on this forum that can help. Or talk to Dave (scuba steve) and he might be able to get you into his garage to see what should and shouldn't be done to the car. He has great prices and there are a lot of people on this forum that can vouch for his work.

8. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

valve clearance checked!!!!!

9. Nitrofish

Nitrofish New Member

First I would see if he has any of the maintenance records in the car somewhere. If not then I would do as stated just above this and do the timing belt/water pump. And keep it stock. That will aid in the longevity.

10. errorcode3

errorcode3 Member

yes, if he has the maintenance records dig through them, since the car i bought the glove box was filled with receipts and dealer checklists, it helped me determine what needs to be touched or not.