Hood Struts

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by silver03, Oct 27, 2020.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I want to get a set for our 03 WRX. I've noticed significant differences in price between Ebay and brand name. Worth the difference? What's your experience been?

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Even the decorative ones (cf, chrome, etc) seem to all be one of a few brands actually making the gas struts.

My veloster set from noname ebay seller are at 3 years strong

3. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

I bought my STI about 6 years ago that had some off-brand hood struts. I don't remember the name and can't go look since I just dropped off my car at the shop, but they're still holding strong.

I have notice the huge price difference, but have had good luck with mine.

4. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I have the Grimmspeed hood struts they open the hood really far which I like. Not sure if no names will be same, probably will haha I just like to support GS cuz they local

5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I also have them on one of my cars, and definitely love them. Unfortunately they came on a parts car I bought so I didn't have to pay for them. Can't bring myself to spend that much money on another set for my other car.

I'd definitely opt for a cheaper set of gas struts if I could find the mounting hardware somewhere else as well (similar to the GS stuff).

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I had a cheap set of “carbon fiber” type ones. They worked for as long as I owned them. I’m sure they are still working for whoever owns it now as well.

I’d shoot for the “middle of the road” if you don’t want to invest too much money. The GrimmSpeed ones do go up to like 110 degrees though. FYI: as most of the others are lucky to make it to 90 degrees. Probably more like 70-80 degrees fully opened.

Butthau5 likes this.
  7. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Import Image wants $87 shipped. P2M Black Series Hood Dampers Subaru WRX / STI 2002-2007. Support the local team...

8. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Biggest difference between the name brand kits and the Ebay kits is the engineer quality of the mounting kits. Alot of the dampers in the kit are the same. What makes a name brand kit expensive is that engineering work and man hours put into
    building the mounting kit so that it is not only easy to install and stable but fits your car. Alot of the ebay and cheaper kits engineer it to fit one or two cars then base it off drawings on if it will fit other cars or not. Companies like Grimmspeed will bring in customers cars and test fit the product on it to make sure it fits and installs perfectly for every car they claim it does.

9. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I had the GS one's on my 07 STI when I had it and loved them. They open the hood almost vertical and as previously mentioned, they are going to be a direct fit without having to modify anything to make them work as desired.

10. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

+1 for GS hood struts. Only down side is I cant reach the hood from the front of the car when opened. haha.

11. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

:bounce:

You'll have to put a noose, I mean a garage door pull, on it to get it back down...

pillboy likes this.