Last Thursday I got a call....my house was on fire. I arrived to this: PXL_20230601_173530588 by Numbchux, on Flickr PXL_20230601_191809828 by Numbchux, on Flickr No humans were home, but our 2 cats could not escape and did not make it. Kitchen is decimated. PXL_20230601_172647994 by Numbchux, on Flickr PXL_20230601_172645275 by Numbchux, on Flickr Roof and ceiling joists above the kitchen are gone, the only thing above there was the metal roof. But, the fire didn't proceed beyond the kitchen. The antique heirloom dining room set, which was only a foot or so through the doorway from the kitchen, is fine. Smoke and soot damage is considerable throughout the house. Water damage from the fire fighting efforts are considerable. The door to my daughter's room was closed, so the smoke damage in there is minimal, but the water in the attic collapsed the sheetrock in the ceiling of her room, so there's still a ton of water and debris in there. I ran the generator so I could plug in the sump pump last Friday, because there was about 3 inches of water in the basement. The heat was so intense that plastic picture frames higher up on the walls melted and fell apart. Here's the wall-mounted TV in our bedroom (probably 20 feet from the doorway to the kitchen). PXL_20230603_200916294~2 by Numbchux, on Flickr So far, Auto Owners Insurance and our agents at the broker Young and Associates have been great to deal with. Getting the house boarded up, advancing us some money on the claim, getting us into an extended stay hotel with a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen, so we can live a little more comfortably. And they've arranged a townhouse starting July 1st, where we will be able to stay until we can move home again (this is all paid up front, we only have to put down damage deposits and utilities at the townhouse). A fire investigation team spent most of the day there on Friday, they are trying to find the remains of 2 Amazon Fire (ahem) kids tablets that were in the cupboard, and the USB power adapter that one was plugged into.