How do you get in the mode?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Butthau5, May 28, 2021.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

It helps me get in the mood to do car stuff if I watch YouTube of car stuff. Boring stuff like south main auto. Or crazy builds on 1320 video.
    Reminds me of when I used to skateboard many many years ago I would watch skate videos and then get all amped up to go skate.

What do you do? If anything

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Reading about other people's problems on car forums usually keeps me from wanting to do anything as I expect everything to go wrong. A couple weeks ago, for the first time in my life I could not get an oil filter off and I had to go buy one of those big pliers-type devices with the big teeth to remove it.

Guilt is my primary motivator...is it due for an oil change, I need to get the snow tires off before July, etc.

Krazylegz1485 and Butthau5 like this.
  3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

My motivation is getting out of the house away from the wife and 4 year old for a little while. Unfortunately when I finally do get that small window of time I've got an overwhelming amount of things to do so I usually end up not accomplishing much and just enjoy being able to have some alone time with the stereo cranked to an absurd level.

tangledupinblu and Butthau5 like this.
  4. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Not getting any time to actually get my **** done. Eventually i want to learn to weld better or learn to lay glass for a custom subaru dune buggy or locost. Sooo basically a relentless need to end the "have to do" list

5. pillboy

I have breaking news for you...you never see the end of that list. Maybe once you hit the nursing home and someone is wiping your @$$ for you.

Butthau5 and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Shhhh there's an end to the list, even if it's death

Butthau5, pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Hahahahaha!!!

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I keep up on a few YouTube car build channels. I sit in my car and watch on my phone on my lunch breaks at work. Bad Obsession Motorsports, Mighty Car Mods, Nugget Garage, Skid Factory, Finnigan's Garage and more. When the baby won't sleep on his own, I've been watching Car Trek.

The truth is, it's less about getting in the mood, and more about pacifying my addiction. I am ALWAYS thinking about cars, and how I can modify them, and looking at other peoples' builds keeps some of that occupied until I can finish something and try it myself.

Boy, this sounds familiar.

Full-time job, and I'm doing daycare shuttling both ways. 14 month old and 4 year old. Most nights, when everyone goes to bed, I go out to the garage for an hour or so. Only about 20 minutes of it is probably productive, but it's nice to do my own thing for a few minutes, and occasionally make progress on something of mine. I've been neglecting some projects on the daily drivers to work on my 4Runner lately (the snow tires only came off my wife's car about 3 days ago).

9. tangledupinblu

I don’t go to bed until midnight each night, despite getting up at 5am, so that I can get an hour or two of just nothing.(I mean, watching YouTube car videos isn’t actually doing “nothing”)

lol

Krazylegz1485 and pinjasaur like this.
  10. pillboy

Those 5-hour nights of sleep are gonna kill in the long run. How much caffeine do you consume during the day?

11. tangledupinblu

That all depends. But typically, more than I should.

pinjasaur, Butthau5 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  12. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Speaking of YouTube: I recently found out that EricTheCarGuy has an entire second channel "ETCG1" that I've been binging a fair amount.