How many cans of plasti dip did you use on your wheels and how did it hold up?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by TMF, Nov 15, 2013.

1. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Dip your car kits come with 4 cans, but that seems like a lot. I've put 4 coats on the saabaru wheels and only gone through about a can and a half, maybe a hair more. Trying to decide if its worth adding more coats...

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

From what I've read, the more coats you put on, the easier it is to remove later.

that-dude and phi11 like this.
  3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine that plastidipped his car said the same thing.

4. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

You need quite a few cans for good coverage with Plasti Dip. I think I would consider 2-3 as minimum. Using all 4 cans would be a nice thick finish that would be easy to remove.

5. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

What is the lowest temp you can apply this so it would stick?

6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ha, well you can use me as a case study. I applied 4 coats yesterday afternoon while it was between 45-50 degrees...I let about an hour between coats and it was still slightly damp in spots when adding the next coat. I let it dry over night and this morning, all the wheels were dry. I did all of this in a non-heated, non-attached garage.

I applied another just a bit ago and might try one more around noon...I have an alignment at 3pm so I need to make sure it's dry before then lol.

kongzilla likes this.
  7. freeze2104

freeze2104 Well-Known Member

My buddy used 1 can per wheel of blaze orange and 1 can for all 4 wheels of white for a base. It came out very nice but it didnt last to long.. maybe 2-3 months. He had rotas and when he peeled it off, it took some of the clear coat with it.

8. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

I should of done it this summer since the wheels were off the car but I was too damn lazy.

Now, I'm even more lazy because I'll have to dismount the wheels. FTML.

might as well wait for next year again.

9. solem22

solem22 Active Member

I put 4 coats (a little more than 1 1/2 cans) on my stock 17's about 2 months ago and just peeled it off when I mounted winter tires on Wednesday. It peeled off just fine.

10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the info.

11. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I think they turned out Ok. Could have been a bit better coverage on the absolute outside edge of the wheel, but overall turned out pretty good.

Attached Files:

12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Get that door ding fixed.

13. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

What does it look like, a show car?

Haha I'm jk, but the pics make it look worse than what they really are.

14. STiCH

STiCH Well-Known Member

Your wheels look good. I was gonna say that if was colors, probably try not to go more than 4 coats as it becomes darker. I painted my winter wheels blaze pink and the one with about 4-5 coats started to turn red-orange.

15. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

None, I'll just paint my wheels ;)

phi11 likes this.
  16. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

The car looks sharp in that pic...to me door dings stand out like a pimple on your nose though. It's all I can see when I look at a car with a noticeable ding - just the way I am wired.

17. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yea I know, the car overall looks great for the mileage, but there are those few dings/scratches that bring it down.

I thought I recall seeing a post somewhere that you work at a body shop or used to or something? Perhaps you got the hook-up for a deal on dent repair...

18. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I've done both sets of my wheels in the past year. My summers I did black, and overall has held up quite well with 4 coats, using about 3 cans. My winters I just did about a month ago in gold and used just over two cans, and that has held up well also. I have been curious as to how the gold on the stocks will be, just because even with a lot of cleaning, both by me and idget, they are not perfectly clean.

I always have ordered more cans than I need just to be safe. My summers have two spots that I need to touch up, and I am not sure if it should be peeled and started fresh, or if I can touch up from where they are now... more to come.

FWIW, if you plastidip with the tires on the wheel, (with the note cards around the edge to protect the tire) be sure to get a good angle at the lip. That is the one spot that has seemed to take a little extra wear for me.

19. that-dude

that-dude Well-Known Member

i did 4 cans on mine. so far, its holding up pretty good. the thicker it is, the easier it comes off.

20. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Depends a lot on color too. Black goes on pretty opaque after just a few coats. White takes more. Colors can still be somewhat translucent after several coats.

I used 1/2 can of black per wheel on my truck (15" wheels, 5-6 coats) back in July and they're holding up no chips or peeling so far.

I used at least 1 can of white per wheel on my rally car, and, well, the hot brake dust from the race pads basically embedded itself in the plasti-dip. Not cool.

I used two cans of the blue on the rear bumper of the rally car, and it still isn't 100% opaque. Used a can of the glosser on it too. Weird. Looks glossy from a distance, but has a really pebbled surface, much more so than leaving it matte.

21. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yea, I hate cleaning brake dust and sometimes it is hard to remove from just the regular finish of the wheels. If I was concerned about brake dust, I probably would not have gone plasti dip. I have noticed that my flat blat wheels now pick up and show a lot of dirt/dust. Perhaps the glossifier stuff would have helped, but I kinda like the flat black.

Oh, and fun fact for the day...brake dust actually is NOT brake pad material. Brake dust is actually flakes of metal from the rotor. The wheel becomes charged, the brake pads cut into the rotor when braking, and the wheel attracts the metal flakes. Race pads are simply a more aggressive and abrasive pad that bites harder/deeper into the rotor, thus causing more brake dust from the rotors ;) Learned that from a guy that works at Brembo.