HOW NOT TO ACT PART 3: The Urinal is Self Cleaning.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xAciDx, Nov 5, 2018.

1. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I think we've been overdue for another one of these threads :coffee:

klutz, readymix, blackozone and 2 others like this.
  2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

While I won't physically help you, I might be able to provide some advise remotely.

Try a local social media site or start a Mankato area thread here if you'd like. You might even be able to bump an old one. The SEMN thread is mostly Rochester iirc, but there might still be folks in your area slithering around that thread.

To what extent are you able to help?

Again, how much of a noob are you? I ask beacuse sometimes (a lot of times) "helping" is really just getting in the way. If you're asking to shadow someone and learn, that's a whole different question that opens up other avenues to reach this goal.

Do you have a specific body kit or individual pieces in mind?

Some fit better than others. Some use factory mounting points, some don't, and most aftermarket ones are somewhere in between. Fastening an aftermarket part can be as simple as snap on or as difficult as "how and where do I fasten this without fabbing mounting points to existing body work?"

What is your plan for paint?

Watching vids is a good starting point. Building a relationship with shops, privateers, hobbiests, etc... is invaluable in that you can start understanding the why and not just the how. With any luck, you'll develop your own problem solving skills along the way.

Rear spats, vortex generator, and rear diffuser are oftentimes the ones that don't mount to anything existing (unless you count double side taping the spats to the bumper then crying when they eventually fall off as you're dori doriing it through a cloverleaf). Head lights and tail lights can be a real headache if you don't open and seal them effectively or if you don't let your paint off gas.

Wait, so are you or are you not willing to travel for a handout? How far?

Not sure what you're trying to communicate here. Am I to imply that you have a jack, stands, torque wrench... what other tools and space do you have access to? Or are you hoping to use someone else's space and/or tools?

Intelligent? No. Helpful? Potentially. Quite irritated at what's coming off as entitled? Yes. Understanding? Mostly. Patient? Depends on the day. Caffeinated? Half way.

There are definitely better techniques for this and most of these vids skip the important details... like prep, measuring, marking, re-measuring, protecting adjacent parts, etc...

Up to you if you want to risk fuxing up a brand new car. Been there done that. Lots to be learned.

I'm a man-child who is incapable of intelligence in any form and reluctant to engage in conversation bc... well this entire thread is a good example.

Where does that situate me?

I find a lot of the jokes in here intelligent. But take that with a grain of salt (or a grand assault) since I'm an unintelligent dbag man-child.

Re: pay to play and all those other cliches... pick your battles.

Plan your mod path and get specific. You might come to find out that paying $100 more for the oem part saves you $20 in hardware and 3 hours in time. OTOH you might find that prospective mods might limit your access to future mods... hint hint, some rear diffusers need a mounting bracket. I think you can deduce what said brackets might get in the way of.

In any case, you just spent $30k on a car you want to make your own and enjoy. Certainly don't overspend but don't cut corners either. Personally, I've always played it safe and set aside 2 extra car payments a year on such cars. One for mods and one in case said mods conflict with an inevitable warranty claim. The idea being by the time the car is paid off I'd have a few grand to play with... or I could tinker along the way... or I might get really lucky and use that on the side money to pay the car off early. Never came to fruition with any of my subarus. They break. And I get breaky with my toys as well. All that said, what's your budget and what are your short and long terms goals with this car?

3. GrumbleRumble

GrumbleRumble Well-Known Member

This is a good point. You are certainly correct, but this "special" corner of the interwebs doesn't really care about that, for better or worse. What that makes for is a close community that is more than willing to help each other, even if they yell at you to get off their lawn a bit in the beginning. It seems to separate the people who have a real passion for cars and an desire to learn more from those who just have a superficial passing interest. It also scares away those who who don't have reasonable advice or shady motives. I hope you stick around to find out for yourself.

Also, congratulations on the new ride!

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Lolhemad.

You guys know me so well. <3

Emphasis on the sand, that **** gets everywhere. I'll bring some home for you when this deployment is over so you can use it as lube.

Mnelson, tangledupinblu and Aegis like this.
  5. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

Glad to see there are some decent members here willing to move past the initial new member BS that always happens. I've been through this before. I'm not upset about anything said... I can move past anything, best to get it out of the way early and move past it . I might even take a shine to derp if he ever loses his hard on for trolling me. ;) Thank you, for your service.

To those that think cosmetic mods are crap that's your opinion your entitled to it. But, in the end its my car I'll make it my own whether you like it or not. I know most of you are performance guys which is great! I plan on doing performance after I get my cosmetics closer to what I want. I actually plan on getting that done professionally along with tunes each iteration when the time comes. I already have a cobb access port so that's one check on the performance area. To those that are concerned about me ****ing my car up which is a legit concern I also share, learning on a 30k car is probably not the best idea i get that. But, if something does get messed up ill deal with it and get it fixed it wont break the bank. I don't plan on ever selling the car once I am done with it as my daily it will be my track car.

While my knowledge of cars is limited and my tool sets right now are wanting. I plan on buying tools, a jack, and stands over the winter before I do any mods this spring/summer. As for the body kit I don't plan on getting it painted I like the black the way it comes its just a matter of fitting it. I have already watched a ton of videos on how to do the installs but the lip and side skirts require two people and possibly some heat to get it fitted properly. The rear spats are mostly pop clips and drilling one self tapping screw in. The body kit will probably be the first thing I do.

I'm looking at this one I will make sure it fits 2019 before I buy it. They are all the same body hopefully won't be an issue.

http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subar...maxton-design-full-body-kit-2015-wrx-2015-sti

idget wants to know how much of a noob I am. I have done light modding in the past... anything technical my cousin helped me out with but he is no longer in the area... I personally have never done a body kit. I know how to use tools, change tires, jack up a car place stands etc... As for me helping others, as long as you know what your doing and could instruct me on what you want me to do I could help with any install. I can follow instructions, self teach when necessary, I'd rather learn from experienced person. But they aren't always available. Internet is a great resource for that and I already use it. I learn quickly and eventually I won't be a noob.

I don't plan on doing all the mods at once it will happen slowly over time as I obtain the tools and money required. Once i get to performance I'll probably save up a large chunk of cash and consult with a shop on what my best options are and go from there.

Thanks to everyone leaving positive comments and to those willing to work through the previous drama. Its all good on my end!

6. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

If your going to DD that car the kit you have selected will not hold up well to the 4 seasons this state has. I would look into something that is less rigid material. Just my .02

xAciDx likes this.
  7. powdered toast man

powdered toast man Member

You seem like a younger person, bought an expensive vehicle and have big plans. That's cool, I've been there, done that, wish I hadn't.

My advice would be to look at the long term. Ask yourself, how secure is my job? If I'm out of work, can I make car payments for multiple months if needed?

Drive it as is for a year, think about and plan your mods over that time. Put some savings away for a rainy day, you'll be happy you did when you don't have to sell your car on that rainy day.

xAciDx likes this.
  8. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

Good advice, I don't plan on lowering my car at all just for that reason if it breaks ill get something different. I don't have to worry to much about clearance in my area and the roads are usually plowed before i go anywhere I don't work until 4 in the afternoon so hopefully won't be an issue.

9. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

10. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

11. JasonoJordan

I am going to blunt here with you. If you can't afford a $1000 body kit for your car without needing the extra time to come up with the money and need over time to do it...you can't afford to mod this car.

Just being honest with you. Take it or leave it.

12. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

raw.gif

13. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

To avoid further assumptions that i can't afford to mod my car I keep a 4k buffer in my checking account for a rainy day and have plenty more in savings... Over time is my fun money. When I say afford I mean maintain my rainy day buffer.

14. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

derp likes this.
  15. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

If I had the $, which you say you do, I would just order the parts through the dealer and let them install and be done with it. Peace of mind is worth the investment. Morries Minnetonka Subaru offers MNSubaru members a discount of 15% off labor/20% off parts. Or the other way around can't remember.

xAciDx likes this.
  16. JasonoJordan

They no longer do it on labor only parts but yea

xAciDx likes this.
  17. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

Another .02....never, NEVER go cheap on parts. You will regret it. Ask me how I know.

Check with local people, ask here. Start a build thread and post questions specifically related to the parts you are thinking of getting. HKS, Perrin, Greddy etc. Don't go with something because its cheaper, or if the parts come in bundles and one is cheaper than the other, always go for the higher option.

xAciDx likes this.
  18. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

Because this is going to be my new hobby I want to do it. What is the fun of buying the stuff and having someone else put it on... plus I want to learn how to do it. What I learn I'll pass on what i screw up ill fix and pass on that knowledge of what i did wrong. Some of the stuff I'll do on my own some of it Ill get help. If i really think I can't do it I'll pay to have it done but that is a last resort. Plus doing it myself gives me the possibility to use the money I save on stuff.

19. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I like “cosmetics”. It’s partially why i went with the “Series Blue” BRZ over the “Limited” BRZ.
    Limited...
    7D3212C0-0594-409E-898D-3F1776AC2C4C.jpeg

Series Blue...
    B474BD58-160F-4428-9DA3-259C0F43DBC9.jpeg

I say go for it(installing)! Just make sure to buy extra 3m double sided tape! Hopefully you won’t need it.;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    xAciDx likes this.
  20. idget

Personally, I'd pay the car off sooner. Unless its a really good rate and there's lots equity in the loan (lol).

I'd also take the buffer money and buy a 2.5RS to bomb around track days and PDE's with since that DD'd wrx is likely going to be swiss cheese before the loan is up.

I'd also put the $1500 towards wheels/tires first.

Buttttt... not my car and not my money.

That CF one is going to be worse re: maintenance/cracking. I'd stick to polyurethane or ABS for this application. ABS is typically less flexible (meaning if it isn't precision fit or warps in shipping it'll look like ass and you won't have many options re: getting it to fit right) but it usually takes paint well. Since you're really looking for a dress-up/trim kit rather than a traditional body kit (I think at least replacement bumpers if not fenders etc) and leaving it bare, I'd probably just grab a cheap PU front lip and consider it disposable. Then go with matched sides and back frilly foo foo bits. At the very least you'll want to clear coat or wrap them unless you want them to UV fade by next August.

xAciDx and Fienix like this.
  21. derp

derp Well-Known Member

The first time that rigid carbon body kit meets an ice chunk on the freeway in the winter is going to be a bad day. Second the disposable frp suggestion.

xAciDx likes this.
  22. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

I like it! what material is the kit made of and how is it holding up?

23. JasonoJordan

Well his front lip is broken from doing exactly what I warned would happen to you and your kit.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  24. idget

Serious question(s). What cars have you owned before this one and is this your first "tuner" car?

No judgment (that's a lie). I ask because there's a whole market (read: trap) for consumers that fit the noob/first time tuner description.

joebush44 and readymix like this.
  25. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

I have gap insurance on my policy so if I'm upside down on the loan if it gets totaled I'm covered. I don't plan on taking it to the track until I get another car which will be at least 5 years I put low miles on my cars so I should still be under 50k by then I'll look into the bumper then. I have the dun lops that came with the car in my basement had them put some all seasons on it when i purchased it. I think I am going to stick with 17 in rims for summer wheels so I can use the tires any suggestions on reliable brands? Yes, i will clear coat the kit. ;) I will probably get bigger wheels later down the road.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  26. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

I had a 91 cutlass supreme first car, 95 honda civic ex second car, 98 Eclipse GSX no engine mods third car, 2012 kia rio when my GSX died lol not a bad commuter but slow. Then a 2015 kia Forte5 SX quick little 6spd turbo traded it towards the subi only had 24k miles on it. First, tuner car yes when i get to engine modifications I am going to be as safe as possible and will consult a shop on all upgrades. Definately not going to skimp in that department. How do you guys feel about MAPerformance?

27. JasonoJordan

They sell parts but last I checked no longer do any installs.

xAciDx likes this.
  28. tangledupinblu

Not well. It is OEM, runs about $1200-1500 w/shipping.

Made of...possibly ABS? It’s pretty flexible, and yet rigid. None of the listings for it on websites show what it’s made of.

Snow and parking curbs are no friends of mine...
    DBEF8091-9F83-47D8-B522-252F60EED7B5.jpeg

29. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

It definitely makes work more fun.

30. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

Thats rotten luck! what exactly ate your lip the curb or snow?

31. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Your first mod should be snow tires.

32. xAciDx

xAciDx BANNED

I will pick some up once my all seasons are worn out and have a second set of wheels for summer.

33. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Good luck

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  34. tangledupinblu

A deer from my understanding. Was told by the dealership that it hit a deer that was laying on the ground(previously hit by another car).

Then i hit a parking curb down at Cosetta’s. Lol

phi11 likes this.
  35. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I hear one of their staff can allegedly recommend a good hooker.

36. tangledupinblu

Hahahahahaha!! So true.

37. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Custer had a plan too.

Seriously, the first thing anyone should be getting in this state with a car like that is a set of separate wheels/snow tires. Being able to stop, start and avoid accidents is something you can't put a price on.

phi11, Cotts612 and Aegis like this.
  38. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

You won't regret snow tires. I drove my Subaru on "all seasons" for 1/4 of winter before I said F this, and bought a used set. Night and day difference, especially in lateral grip and stopping. I will never not have a set.

39. tangledupinblu

Yep! Agreed!
    https://mnsubaru.com/threads/general-alimax-arctic-215-70r16.53733/

40. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Heh. SEMN... sticky thread?

+1... Ice took my stock bumper out this year. STOCK. The quotes I've gotten to fix it are insane. (around $600-800). If you don't think people here give a **** about your mods, just wait till you get mother natures opinion.

+1 to this. I have a good job and the mods I chose were pretty well planned out. Even after all of that, life finds a way to ruin every project, which put me into a position where all the money I saved wound up in a new engine. Mostly because I DD it everywhere.

If I could go back, I would have waited just a little longer, and saved a little more, so I didn't feel like I had to let it go to chase my bigger dreams.. But I digress. You can do what you want, but everyone I know here has some kind of story. Listen to them not to change your mind, but to help you decide what you really want (or what you are willing to put up with).

Aegis likes this.
  41. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

The stickiest on the site.
    Butt he's right, the SEMN thread is primarily Rochester. It used to be more active, but I'm about all that's left in the Rochester area on this site anymore. That said, there very well could be a lot of new blood that just is operating quietly on the site right now. Alternatively, there's a 507 Subies Instabook page, but it's a lot of vapebrim stancetard circlejerking. Then again, they'd probably be pretty helpful with appearance mods. Who knows anymore?

joebush44, tangledupinblu and Aegis like this.
  42. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I second the "drive it for a year before you go modding" suggestion. Especially if you have zero interest or intent in purchasing snow tires for the season. Your cosmetic mod plans may change after a winter's worth of salt, sand, ice chunks, ice ruts, road debris, and you driving outside of your skill band because "omg rally car, lol."

Any sort of ground effect mods you do are likely going to become a cracked mess by March as people in MN, especially the dirt-eating rock farmers in Mankato, don't clean the snow pack and ice from their wheel wells. One of those filthy ice balls skitters down the freeway when it is below zero, and you are pretty much going to shatter any body panel that doesn't have 6" of pavement clearance.

Aegis and tangledupinblu like this.
  43. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Also, a bit of advice.

When you report four posts in a matter of a few minutes, and all of those posts are tame, gentle ribbing that anyone with a "thick skin" would simply shrug off and laugh along with, you're going to paint a target firmly on your forehead. And much like any object stuck to the back of the urinal, every person that sees it is going to be aiming their piss stream at it.
    Additionally, the moderator that finds your festering butthurt pile is going to be pissed off. As all of these tickets need to be claimed and closed out...and that becomes "work." And the piss stream from a moderator has a lot more pressure behind it than a half dozen surly regular members. Mine is especially powerful, and I drink A LOT, so I've got volume as well. And like any good drunk, once I break the seal, it just keeps going. Nothing sticks to the back of my urinal.

44. derp

derp Well-Known Member

aw, did I get reported? I feel like I was overdue. It's cathartic.

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  45. tangledupinblu

@readymix, correct me if i’m wrong, but pee is stored in the balls?