How to cycle ABS pump for bleed

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by qstarin, May 27, 2012.

1. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

I'm going to be replacing the ABS pump on my 01 RS (along with everything else in the brake system except the hardlines) - and I'm looking for another way to cycle the ABS pump besides going for a drive and locking up the brakes.

I understand the Subaru Select Monitor tool can be used to force the ABS pump to cycle. Are there any Subaru techs on the board who could provide access to an SSM (lend it to me or bring it over)?

Are there any other ways to "bench" cycle the pump? I read a few ideas around the net, like "hold the brake pedal down, pull the ABS fuse, and then reinstall it" - but someone said that doesn't work. Or:

I assume the "diagnosis connector" is the OBDII port? Anyone ever tried this.

Any other method?

I know that driving and doing a lockup or two will work - but that's considerably more work than just doing it all while the car's already in the air with the wheels off (plus I'm nowhere near any dirt road). And my system will be completely replaced, so it's going to be totally drained of fluid, including the pump. I don't need to be bleeding, going for a drive, coming back and bleeding over and over and over again.

2. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

qstarin likes this.
  3. qstarin

4. flstffxe

It has been awhile since I have used FreeSSM(fresh Linux install and have not reloaded it yet). However, IIRC you can do the ABS after the green test connectors get plugged in. At least that was the process for the emissions stuff I last used it for.

5. flstffxe

6. qstarin

It wasn't showing any ABS system test but I didn't have the diagnostics connector plugged in. I did try a radiator fan test and it popped up a dialog stating I need to plug the connector in... so I guess I'll have to crawl up in the dash, hopefully an ABS test shows up.

7. qstarin

Shoot, doesn't want to recognize that I put the diagnostic connector in. Guess I'll have to mess with it.

8. qstarin

Well, got the diagnostic connector working. I ran all the system tests available. None of them cycled the ABS. :(

9. qstarin

Ok, so here's how you can cycle the ABS pump. I just did this and it worked perfectly. This procedure is from the FSM, but I've reworded the steps for simplicity.

1. Turn ignition OFF.
    2. Connect diagnosis terminals to terminals #3 & #6 of the diagnosis connector.
      [​IMG]

Here's the location of the connector. Mine was roughly behind the OBDII port, sharing a bundle of wires with the two green test mode connectors. The two black diagnosis connectors were taped back up into the wires and I had to pull them out of the tape to access them.

[​IMG]

3. Turn ignition to ON, do not start engine.
    4. As soon as the ABS warning light goes off, depress brake pedal and hold it.
    5. When ABS pump has finished cycling, turn ignition OFF.