Hubcentric adapters for winter setup? Are they needed?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by STi_From_DSM, Nov 14, 2020.

1. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

So I have some sad news for everyone... Back in August I traded in the Type RA for... another RS3. But that isn't what this post is about.

I sold my winter setup, exhaust, and tails to my buddy at work that had a 19 STi. I had my set of Blizzak WS80 on a set of KMC District rims. It was a really sharp looking set of wheels for the winter. I had them on there for two winters with no issues.
    He is claiming that there is a hub centric adapter that is missing for the wheels? Being in the Audi game again I know these are quite common on Audi's but I never noticed this on these rims. I bought the wheels at Discount Tire, and like I said had no issues for two winters. Now that he is trying to get the set put on the car he is mad because he had to buy these adapters. Does he need adapters for the rims? Or is he being overly cautious?

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, if the lug nuts are tapered and the holes in the wheels are also tapered, as long as they're properly torqued they're self-centering.

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Plastic hubcentric spacers are for making it easy to spin on lugnuts, not necessary for tapered setups as they have no load capacity. If the Lugnuts are straight cut he needs billet centric spacers to aid the studs in weight support.

euro likes this.
  4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I have Subaru application wheels on my Celica, and still haven't gotten hub rings for them. I have to be pretty careful to tighten the lug nuts in small intervals or I get a noticeable vibration. I would recommend it.

5. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I run hubcentric rings on all mismatched bores i run. $60 is worth not monkeying around with recentering the wheels. I have metal ones on my vw because they run lug bolts, plastic ones are fine for studs because they're not load bearing.

6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Another vote for the centering rings, but my logic agrees with what Krazylegz said.

Your friend drives an Audi, and probably got a deal on the parts from you...I think he's a cheap-ass douche.

7. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Stormtrooper1 and tangledupinblu like this.
  8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Inside and outside diameters are molded on mine. You can get the plastic ones on Amazon.