I came here....to bitch about selling cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by euro, Dec 12, 2022.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Today I successfully acquired an altruistic stalker former owner of the Mercedes I just traded my flatbed project for. Trying to sell an old Ford truck was it's own misadventure full of mouth breathing retards but trying to out myself of this Mercedes (as a whole mechanic special or as parts) has painted a new corner of hell i didn't know existed.

section about the **** car, not incredibly important
    generally speaking, the mercedes is a 5th owner turd of hillbilly engineering. It was overly apparent after about 20 minutes of total troubleshooting I didn't have the time of day for this wreck. Glow plugs were wired with a ford solenoid bypass and hacked into the factory harness with speaker wire, 3 relays and a digital DIY arduino timer taped to the underside of the dashboard. real ****y. the EGR system was deleted at only 2 of 10 vacuum locations and was venting vacuum to everything from the dash clock to the Fuel pump to the boost gauge. to tie it all together the oil catch can lines and the can itself were on their sides sitting ON the turbo.... if this thing had been able to run for more than 100 feet at a time it would have caught fire next.

So I listed the car as a mechanic special needs to be towed away, I'm all about full disclosure so i never have to see or hear about these kind of cars again after they sell. you are buying a toilet. Previous owner didn't say much about it expect it stopped running well for him in July, PREVIOUS PREVIOUS owner decided to contact me through the for sale ad to given me a pep talk about how nice the car was and how to operate the "previous owner's" hillbilly glow plug harness and throwing a "well I really hope the kid i sold that to transferred the title". A quick yep the title is in "kids" name and thanks then ended the conversation.

selling a mechanics special on facebook marketplace is not pleasant but people have a weird ****ing misconception on what a 40 year old mercedes from minnesota is. It's absolute ****. "would this be a reliable car for my kid to drive to college?", "DoEs It RoAl CoAl?", "Can i tow it to my mechanic 1.5 hours away to see if this is the car for me" (it absolutely is not). or will you take 50% your asking price? yes if picked up by the end of the day, radio silence.

Selling parts on facebook marketplace isn't too bad but remember that Previous previous owner? "hey it's me again that used to own that car, I need an auxiuary water pump oh and i hope you're not misrepresenting the car's condition... FFS I am advertising this pile of parts with the shine of a thousand turds. I said yep i have that pump if you're interested (ignoring the bs). Oh I'll need your phone number I only deal over the phone...

it's FB marketplace, there's literally every communication method on the planet built in. I also don't give out my phone number after i parted out an old track acura integra and had a dude CALLING me every ****ing day for a month asking if I had "fill in the blank unrelated part to my car". Told him FB chat only so all the communications are tracked or if he wanted I could just meet him somewhere with the part. not difficult.
    proceeds to call me paranoid and start berating me then suddenly he disappears from FB all-together.

/soapbox rant of FBHellplace

minnesotanice and JaloP like this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sounds like a helluva good time!!?

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

This might be the next "free Holiday car wash" thread.

4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

This is at least better and more entertaining to read than the "I came here to brag about selling more cars than I'm legally supposed to" thread from a handful of years ago.

euro, pinjasaur, pillboy and 2 others like this.
  5. euro

euro Well-Known Member

so after he blocked me on facebook he's now trying to get a hold of me over craigslist to buy the auxliary water pump. this dude is nuts.

[​IMG]

6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

But his wife was selling some of the cars, so it was totally OK morally if not legally.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

The limit on selling is something like 5 or 6 a year without a dealer license isn't it? I considered it years ago when I was thinking about breaking classic Vws for parts and restoring mk1 chassis for a business idea.

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

God I hate selling ****. People suck. I scrap so much stuff that I'm sure someone needs because it's such a pain to make the transaction.

I still have these BC coilovers. I share the listing to various Subaru Baja groups occasionally, and I get some awful responses. And I've had about 5 people ghost me after a few exchanges, usually after getting shipping quote. I have a lot of people that clearly have no ideal what they are, or why one would buy them.

euro likes this.
  9. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 90% of this mercedes is getting scrap last week of the year. Even the free stuff people are asking if I'd deliver it an hour away. Sure for a delivery charge of $60

10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Details on the coilovers...? Haha.

Chux, sneefy and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Dibs. I'll totally pick them up after work. I promise. Cash in hand.