I Need A Subaru Parts Genius

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Shabbaru, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

I'm ok with a little, 245/40 on a 10" wide wheel is borderline too much for me. 255 is tolerable and a 265 is perfect.

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

People buy old junked cars, spend a sh*t ton of time and money to restore them, and then let them sit in the garage, only to be driven to car shows or for the occasionally weekend jaunt.
    I've spent a fair amount of money on building my car for the track, wherein I've only made it to the full race track once this year...oh, and it wasn't timed, and there was no prize money involved.

Point of my story...people spend of sh*t ton of money on cars for reasons that make no sense to other people. It's a HOBBY, and far from a financial investment.

So I applaud the OP for trying to modify a Subaru to accept wide, low offset wheels, and doing it with proper width tires and proper camber. My hat is off to you sir, and good luck on your adventure :thumbup:

Also, my bet is that picking up some suspension parts from an impreza, and lots of research, might be cheaper than chopping fenders and adding fender flares. More original too.

I unfortunately do not have any experience with part interchangeability between foresters and imprezas, so I can't offer much help.

belalegosi and Shabbaru like this.
  3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

BTW, some autox guys that run their STI's in STU class run 245's on 10" wide wheels to gain tire response. (they are restricted to run 245's in STU).

Shabbaru likes this.
  4. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

You're the man and you get it! Someone said something about an STI rear end but I'm not sure that will work so I'm still brainstorming.

5. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

If it wasn't going to **** up your suspension dynamics, I would be all for it.

6. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

It's not going to **** it up to the point where it's undriveable. I don't go balls out on the street so why in the hell would I need the ability to take an exit ramp at 90 mph? In no way will this make the car unsafe to drive. It's a forester, it's not a race car. If I wanted a car that could handle well I would have never bought a subaru.

TMF, Ryan FailRad and blackozone like this.
  7. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

So, in summary, it's just for appearance. Got it.

tonyM, Curry and phi11 like this.
  8. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Of course it is, how on earth would this not be? I already explained that you could easily get properly sized wheels and out perform this setup for probably half the cost.

It's not an investment, it's my car and I'm making it my own. Not building it so you like it.

9. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hey, do what you want. No need to get defensive.

(On second thought, given the goal and your reasoning, maybe there is a need to be defensive...)

10. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

This thread is irritating.. And I'm not at all talking about op.

atacamaR and Shabbaru like this.
  11. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

I'm used to getting defensive around here. Sorry if I came off a little harsh.

Thank you, just trying to get some info

12. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

So far from reading this you are getting butt hurt from the people who don't agree. So if you made this thread in hopes of people patting you on the back and telling you to " go get em' tiger", well you came to the wrong place. Most on here have been there and done that and are offering their self learned advice to you. Spending the time and money involved to make this happen just for something different to look at on your way to the parking lot after work is just not worth it. It's a Forester, load that sum bitch up with lesbians and german shepherds and enjoy it.

Curry, ShortytheFirefighter and phi11 like this.
  13. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

This is how I am enjoying it, by doing stupid projects like this. I don't care about what others have experienced, and you wouldn't know if it's worth it, because you're not me. It's not an investment, it's a hobby. And I need to keep my self occupied one way or another. I don't need a pat on the back, regardless of the opinions of others I'll still do it my way, even if you think its ass backwards and stupid. I have good news, I'm not going to break in to your garage and do it to your car overnight.

If you have nothing to contribute or any answers to my questions don't bother posting.

xodad2 likes this.
  14. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

I figured it out anyways, I wasted enough time referencing part numbers and stock suspension setups. Looks like I'll be looking for some WRX wagon parts!

xodad2 likes this.
  15. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Seems like a good attitude, good luck with the project, post a build thread! : )
    Let's all just back down a little and have a group hug OK? :angel:

BTW if you end up with problems getting the rear struts to clear the tires, I think you should do this:

crxinboard.jpg

16. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

LOL haha I wish I could do that.

I ended up figuring it out. The GG wagon has a narrower track than the wrx which is already narrower than the Forester so I just need the parts from a GG wagon or a GC since they share the same track width.

Cotts612 likes this.
  17. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

The internet is serious business. Not something I would venture down but let me know how it works out for you. With pics and flame suit on.

EricS likes this.
  18. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

I'll keep people posted

19. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

hmmm. After reading this thread, I think you should just spend the money on getting a 6spd in there. You mentioned you loved everything about your forester but the 5spd. There is a part of me though that says spend a ton of money on attempting this. good luck!

20. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Have you looked into having wheels built?

I feel like it would be a lot cheaper and easier to go that route.

You're going to need rear upper strut mount adapter plates going the direction youre thinking. A solution to your strut angle would be to just do a minitub and rebuild the rear towers to your new specs.

Getting your stock axles cut and balanced would probably be easier than anything suggested or implied so far as well. Not sure if any usdm axles share the same tone ring type your axles use. Might be a jdm equivalent but id bet the inner boot would need to be swapped. At the point, just have a driveshaft shop chop your stockers down.

Front end should be pretty easy to figure out. If you cant, you should probably seriously reconsider your objectives and plan.

EricS likes this.
  21. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

That's also going in this winter.

I already figured it all out, I can easily get away with this by getting GG impreza wagon parts while retaining factory handling dynamics (of the GG Impreza), got in touch with the other guy who did this and aside from regular old suspension parts like coilovers, I can do this for a good price, only parts I need are axles from an 05+ Impreza wagon, Lower Control Arms from the same wagon, and Whiteline's lateral link kit. That will effectively narrow the track width enough to do this no problem at all. My suspension geometry will be the exact same as a WRX wagon. Strut towers are the same distance apart in the Forester and the GG Impreza so my strut angle will not be a massive concern.

Overall much easier than I though. I'll take advantage of having the control arms out to get a nice anti lift kit too and I'll be taking out my subframe spacers.

22. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I didn't read the whole thread....so I'm kinda sorry if this has been answered

Nope. GDs have a wider track width than GG/GC/GM/GF (which I believe all have the same track width).

Shabbaru likes this.
  23. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Please note the disclaimer: "For that era".

24. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

GG is '02-'07 wagon ;)

25. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

My bad, I was thinking the wagon from that era and forgot the GG code.