I'm back!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by clajiness, Apr 15, 2021.

1. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

Hi, all. I haven't owned a Subaru in a few years, so I thought I'd circle back and introduce myself. I've been on a Volkswagen kick since I last owned Subarus, but the Tiguan was just too under-powered for my liking. That's why we brought home a new (to us) '20 Outback XT with ~13k miles. The wife loves it, and I don't mind driving it at all. It's a big car, but it scoots just fine.

IMG_1908.jpeg IMG_1909.jpeg IMG_1910.jpeg IMG_1911.jpeg

My other car is a manual '18 Golf R. Until Subaru makes an STI hatch again, I'm good with this one. It's a great car, and it's been super solid so far. The interior doesn't even creak or rattle. ;)

IMG_1913.jpeg IMG_1918.jpeg

So ya, that's us! Nice to see the forum is still around. Take care!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I dig the wheels on the VdoubleU! Welcome back...newb!:p

Ctracey218 likes this.
  3. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

That is an awesome color for the outback, but then again I'm a little partial to blue.

Always thought the Golf R's were a neat ride but never been in one, how long have you had it?

Butthau5 likes this.
  4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I love the blue Outback. So many SUV drivers don't know what they are missing by skipping over the Outback.

I too have always wondered what a hot Golf is like, but have never even ridden in one.

Butthau5 likes this.
  5. clajiness

Sorry for the late reply...

Agree 100% agree with you both. The Outback (especially this XT ) is awesome. So much better than most SUVs I've been in. My wife is a happy driver in it.

Regarding the Golf, I've had it for about a year. I think it's a fantastic car. Coming from a 13 WRX and a 15 FXT, the interior is ridiculously nice. It's had zero rattles, and has very little hard plastic. The manual has been really easy to drive as a daily, and it's super composed for every day commuting around. When I do want to tear around a bit, its different driving modes really change the feel of the car. It has adaptive suspension, so I can firm it up for fun time, or soften it for highway cruising. It has adaptive cruise, too, so it's a borderline decent road trip car. It's "only" ~300hp, so it's not the quickest around, but it takes a tune really well (especially with the DSG auto), so the sky is the limit.

If you guys are planning any meetups this summer, I'd be happy to stop by and take a couple of you (vaccinated folks, of course) for a spin.

pillboy likes this.
  6. clajiness

Well, not Subaru related, but this thread is fun, so here we go... The '18 Golf R is gone. I brought home a '19 Golf R! Decided to trade in the manual for a DSG (dual-clutch auto), and I couldn't be happier with it. Shifts are lightning fast, and I can do 4.5 second 0-60 pulls all day. Anyway, thought I'd share with some fellow enthusiasts. Thanks!
    IMG_2050.jpeg IMG_2051.jpeg IMG_2052.jpeg IMG_2053.jpeg

Butthau5 likes this.
  7. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I like the new color, but personally I would have stayed manual. Ain't nothin' like rowing through your own gears.

8. clajiness

While I agree, I more often than not want the computer to shift for me. It’s really good at what it does, and when I get the itch, I use the flappy paddles. When I just want to cruise, I stick it in drive and go. It’s an easy button, with the benefit of being faster, stronger when you want to tune, and has adaptive cruise.

Anyway, to each their own. This why they offer both. I’d probably still be driving subaru if they offered a similar transmission in the STI.

Butthau5 likes this.
  9. tangledupinblu

A dual clutch STi would be dope!

clajiness likes this.
  10. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

7 Speed DSG FTW. I love my 19' Rabbit as well.

clajiness likes this.
  11. clajiness

Is that the GTI Rabbit Edition? I had a '16 GTI, and it was a hoot. Nice choice!

12. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Yep, the anniversary edition, one of the 1,000 in Urano Gray more specifically, love the thing and definitely didn't regret turning in my 14' FXT for it.

13. tangledupinblu

My Urano has never been Gray. Sounds like an ointment is needed

clajiness and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  14. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Can you see your own Urano?

clajiness and tangledupinblu like this.
  15. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Insert Caddy Shack "Well... we're waiting gif"

tangledupinblu likes this.