In less than 48 hours...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by ShortytheFirefighter, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Wagner

Mike Wagner New Member

Congrats,

Nice Car, can't believe no one did this yet.

:needpics:

2. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

yeah +1

3. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I think your first mod should be a set of rear wrx brakes...wow, come to think of it I have a very low mileage set for sale, this is amazing.

4. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

let me know if you have any questions, I went through the whole deal myself with my GC.

5. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

plus 2

6. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

+3!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!

7. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

Very cool car choice. An excellent RallyCross car as well, I might add. Might we be seeing more of you in the dirt this year?

8. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I think I'll be leaving the brakes alone for the time being. For a street driven car I can't see going to a bigger brake setup right now. The smaller setup means less unspring weight and I want to see if I can start running 15s during the winter. Besides, going to a WRX rear setup means my rear rotors will be .6 inches larger than my fronts. Don't need that much rear bias ;)

I will be in touch with you on this shortly :)

We'll see how things go ;)

And now for a picture, sorry it's not the greatest but I only had my cell phone with me tonight:

[​IMG]

9. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Congrat's. Looks great B. I'll stop by sometime and check it out on my next round for parts.

10. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

very nice! you'll appreciate the low end power

11. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

so...you want race?? lolz
    humm...gc stuff.....sound's like a good review...... I know nothing!!!

12. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

Congrats. It looks like the nice twin of my evil arch nemesis.

[​IMG]

Stuart.

13. silver03

I have some tile to pick up at Menards near BP subaru on my way home. You or car be there?

14. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

A 4 pot front setup on an NA car means you can scare people with your braking. It was like that for me untill I added all the BS

15. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Well, I've had it for 24 hours now. A few impressions about the car...

First, the response out of these things is incredible. My WRX felt solid and responsive, but this is just pure nimbleness and agility. The weight (or distinct lack thereof) is readily noticeable. Even with stock suspension and nearly bald RE92s, it communicates so much through the steering and suspension that I find myself grinning every time I corner. It's a much more pure driving experience, think scalpel compared to a broadsword. Both will get the job done, but it's much easier to be precise.

Powerwise, it doesn't feel as gutless as I feared it would. It's actually rather entertaining in a different way than my WRX. Where my wagon needed room to stretch out its legs, this just has power everywhere in the rev range. Not as much, obviously but enough to have fun with. While my old car wasn't a slouch spoolwise, it's kinda nice not having the rubberband effect. The gearing feels much better in this car, and I'm amazed at how quickly it'll pick up speed in 5th gear at 60mph.

I find myself liking the interior more and more each time I climb in. The sunroof is a nice feature, and I've been cracking it open now and then just to look up at the sky. I can't wait for summer to keep it open without freezing. The controls all seem to be in the right spots, and the gauges are simple and easy to read. My only complaint is the quarter sized gas gauge, but thats just coming from a former GD owner. The seats are very comfortable and supportive, I just wish they sat about two inches lower. With any luck, that should be rectified this week.

The one thing I'm still getting used to is just how long the doors are. Those things just go on and on. This is my third two door vehicle and I think this has the longest doors of the three. I have to be careful when I open them up because they swing open so easily and it'd be really easy to door someone else by accident.

16. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

sweeeeeeet

17. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

You need to take it to the track. GCs deserve to be track cars. I watched a 2.5RS set the best lap times at the Subaru Challenge at Texas Motor Speedway last fall over a heavily modified STi sponsored by Subaru of Dallas (the HotSubarus car). He was still NA but had plenty of work done to the car otherwise, though mostly with suspension and braking. On the high speed course I don't think he'd have fared so well vs the STi but when you get into the twisties (especially with some elevation) the low-end torque the RS puts out can't be beat.

You could go crazy and add a turbo to the mostly stock plant. Not all of them blow up. Mine is still running with its new owner in Omaha. Granted you need to drop in a proper ECU... but imagine that torque you get when you first drop the hammer carried over into the upper rev ranges. No "rubberband" effect like the high-boost turbos which I get even with my LGT.

BTW the 4-pots up front rule. Put in some old LGT rear slotted units and you're set for brakes. Stiffen the body and suspension with a bigger sway, strut braces, and coilovers. Leave the stock 16s on and get better rubber. Make sure to remove the snorkus on the intake and drop in a better panel filter. If you're going to stay NA you may want to delete the second airbox with some silicone plumbing. Beefier cams make a big difference here and really wind up the growl from the plant. If it were my NA RS I'd probably get rid of the spoiler and the hood for something from an L but that would be tough with that color IIRC.

Congrats! GCs are great fun.

18. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

proud of you! i knew you would love it

19. AWDimprezaL

also, look at all the folks that digressed backwards from a wrx to a 2.5 rs or L, you, justin, josh, you guys rock

20. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

I didn't know you sold you're wagon. Hmmm

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

22. jakeachy

jakeachy BANNED

Stm Ftw

23. AWDimprezaL

Gc Ftw

24. silver03

Hey, Can I rock too? I have an L!

25. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

What do you mean 'backwards' ? Where's the "That comment deserves a swirly" smiley when you need it ?

Stuart.

26. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

good choice...RS brakes are great on the lightweight cars!

also good choice on going to less car over more power. so many people dump many thousands of dollars to upgrade the suspension and brakes of a newer, heavier car. to find they have incredible stock-GC-like performance....and I'm lighter than all of you :yumyum: (well, except the completely gutted ones...)

also, pretty sure all pre-'06 non-STi impreza's got the same rear rotors (except, of course, the ones with drums). if "the Lx's" (Martin and Justin's) have the same rear brakes as a WRX, I bet your '01 RS does too!

27. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

car looks great brian!

28. Girlshavemorefun

Girlshavemorefun New Member

Congrats Brian. When I took this on trade, I knew it would go quickly with the low miles. Good luck with the new car and hope all works out for you.

29. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I agree completely, especially on a lightweight car. When my car was still an L, 4pots with a 2860lb curb wieght was awsome. I can't imagine shedding 300lbs from that. My eyeballs would fall out of my face.

30. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

nice looking car for sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.