Initial D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Todd, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Who has seen it?

What did ya think of it?

I rented it this week end. Interesting mix of animation and CG. I liked the camera angles, cuts and the sound track. It was the first 3 episodes, how many are there?

2. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Just what we need you getting into

3. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

I have all the episodes from stage 1 and 2 (first 2 seasons).. however only in a compressed format (i.e. not DVD quality).. fits on 2 DVDs (data DVDs)

The first two seasons are called stages

Stage 1 (season 1) has 26 episodes
    Stage 2 (season 2) has 13 episodes
    There is a stage 3, which is a movie.. and IMO not near as good as the episodes.
    There is a battle stage, which is just all the race scenes. But I dunno, I kind of got into the story.. it was fun. :)
    There is a special stage.. I have it but haven't watched it yet.

-Jordan

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I've seen the whole set. It's not the racing that's exciting, it's the drama that makes the racing exciting. I couldn't just stop after every episode, so I rid myself of the world for days just behind the computer screen. :eek: My friend let me borrow it. I liked it much, but I'm not crazy enough to go mess around in the streets.

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I might need to borrow that. Does someone have a copy I can borrow??

Russ

6. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Russ,

I've got you covered if you have a DVD drive in your PC.

-Jordan

7. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

i can get the dvd version. let me pick it up and i'll call you russ. watching on the computer screen sucks. got all the 3 stages. took me a few days to watch all of them.

8. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Me to, me to.

please.

Todd

9. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

I would like to see that too! Russ I found your one DVD you let me borrow a while back I need to get that back to you. Sorry..

Dave:)

10. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I've got all of 'em too. The american versions suck, stay clear of those. We should have an initial D get-together :)

11. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kongzilla

i can get the dvd version.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    kongzilla... I'm interested too!

Which version is it? The TokyoPop (or whatever it is) version is bad, original good :)

Oh, and I didn't watch them on the PC screen, have video and digital audio piped to my setup downstairs :D

-Jordan

12. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Who ever. Kong lives close by. I hear alot of talk about the videos, but I have never seen any of them. Figured I would get into the loop a bit.

Russ

13. kongzilla

i first saw it on the computer. i down loaded them all. took for ever. i think the dvd version is in english. or english subtitles. there's no scene cut or what ever. eighther way. once you watch it you cant stop and you will want to go out and do some drifting.

14. kickin_81

Kong, are you going out flashing your highbeams and tailgating other cars now? :) I admit, it gets you excited to make you want to go find races. Only if OPUS lasted for an episode...

If we do have an Initial D meet, we're going to need to meet up a lot to finish the whole thing. You're talking 1000+ minutes of Initial D.

15. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Kong, I'm coming over to barrow your Initial D DVD hehehe. :D I get it first since I only live a few blocks from him :)

Kong, I'm right by Harding... hit me back bro... I can wait after Russ is done with the DVD's.

Vic

16. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Hey, I might only live a couple of block from him. I am only about 4 block away from Harding (east side of white bear).

Russ

17. kongzilla

i'm gonna pick it up after work. i'll call you russ if you want to pick it up or i can drop it off.

18. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, I am 8 chapters into the first of 8 discs, looks like it is going to be a late night every day. It is a pretty cool video, and it definitly sucks ya in.

Russ

19. yosmiley

Russ, so... you're the one blasting the Techno music and drifting at every corner you can find in my neighborhood :D j/k

Russ, is that the full DVD set?

It should include:

Initial D First Stage: Episodes 1 - 26
    Initial D Second Stage: Episodes 1 - 13
    Initial D Battle Stage & Extrs Stage
    Initial D The Movie (AKA Third Stage)

I believe that's the full Initial D Anime set. I've heard of more stages coming soon in 2004 or 05. The Initial D manga is still in publication in Japan, circulating with new challenges. One of the more intersting story is Takumi in his AE86 against his dad in a WRX. Now, that's an outcome I'd like to see hehehe }:)

FYI... Jackie Chan is going to film a live Initial D film in Macau or Taiwan somewhere... Probably John may have more info on this.

To those who are intersted in some of the Initial D manga translated into English... Check this site out: http://inane.mangareaders.com/

20. kickin_81

What?! Jackie Chan as Takumi? ...or as Bunta?

Isn't the Initial D series based on a true Bunta racer in Japan? A little bird told me that Bunta was a popular street racer back in the days in Japan. So, the cast just decided to make an anime with Bunta but with Takumi, a fictional character, as the main focus. This little bird sounded like he wasn't kidding. :)

21. yosmiley

I'm not sure if Jackie Chan is Directing/Producing or acting (Bunta)... but Takumi is played by one of the new age of HK stars.

Jackie Chan... if not acting in a major role... may show up for a cameo like some of his teen movies (Gen-X-Cop).

22. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Yep, its the full set. Where can I find it?? Yep, I'm hooked, but it is going to take a bit to get through it. It you see a white chev pickup drifting, thats me!}:)

Russ

23. kongzilla

didn't i tell you it was addicting. and then russ said he wasnt gonna watch them all that fast. just dont come onto my street and do some crazy stuff. i think my street hates these loud honda's up from my house. annoying little fudgers.

24. yosmiley

Russ, the drift king :D Yup, I can see that happening. Before we know it... Russ is out gunning it at the SCCA sanction D1 and D2 competition.

25. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Next time we get a little snow on the ground I will take ya for a ride. I have a locking rear end in my truck with no weight, it gets sideways before you can even think about it. Kong, I don't know where oy ulive, so I will just have to terrorize the west side of white bear!

Russ

26. yosmiley

27. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Vic, I have the First stage done. I will give ya a call later. I need to pick up the oil and everything this morning, so I will cann when I get home.

Russ

28. yosmiley

Russ, thanks for the oil and filter. I'm done with Stage 1 already LOL... can you believe it? I've been up all night watching it since I picked it from Russ. One of the episode I missed was when the Drift King himself called Bunta to discuss about Takumi's match with Ryusoke Takahashi (FC). That was interesting... I missed that part from my boot legged version. Now I get to see the whole 1st stage in a roll.

*Bunta had a little conversation with the Drift King... you'll have to see that part for yourself :D

29. kongzilla

do you guys notice that they give tips on drifting when a match is about to start.

30. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I am done with the second stage if you want that one. If you want all of them you can pick tham up. I won't get a chance till this coming weekend to watch the rest of them. I might even have my copies by then. Let me know if you want to pick them up.

Russ

31. yosmiley

Russ, I'll call you this evening and swing by if you're available... Say... did you get your set from Ebay? Who's the vendor (seller)? I want to make sure you're getting good stuff before I buy it. I've been burn twice before on Ebay and hate dealing with unrealiable sources.

Thanks!

32. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

So is the version you guys are watching the tokyopop version? (should say somewhere on the DVD case)

Thanks,
    -Jordan

33. yosmiley

Nope, it's not the Tokyo Pop version.

34. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I will go back and dig up the vendor that I purches it from. I will be home every night except Thursday (wild game). Just give me a call.

Russ

35. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

Nope, it's not the Tokyo Pop version.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

sweet! Can I get in line for the rental ? :-D

Thanks!

-Jordan

36. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Vic, I recieved my vids today, and they are the same except for my 3rd stage has 2 discs, stage 3 and a special disc. I am going to watch them now and we can compare notes to see if it is the same as the single you have. I also recieved the battle stage disc.

Russ

37. yosmiley

Russ, yeah that would be interested to find out what's the difference between your version and Kong.

38. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I watched the 3rd stage (movie), and the other disc is just a behind the scenes video. The battle stage is just a replay of all the car races. Everything I watched was about the same as the other dvds, so I think it is the same, but with more cd's.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.