Interior dome/map light size?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Niz, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

I foolishly bought LED lights for my map and dome lights without taking off the cover and checking exactly which ones fit inside. I bought the size 2825 but it looks like I need the ones with the cone shape on each end, of which there are different sizes.

Looks like to the size I need is DE3175 (even though Amazon says it doesn't fit and I need the 2825) Can anyone confirm this is the one I need? The car is an 05 9-2x

Also, I read another thread on here that talked about bulbs potentially catching fire or ruining wiring or something along those lines. Is that something I still need to be concerned about with LED bulbs?

2. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

https://www.diodedynamics.com/dome-light-leds-for-2004-2010-subaru-wrx.html
    https://www.diodedynamics.com/map-light-leds-for-2004-2010-subaru-wrx-pair.html
    I'm sure that you can find cheaper ones on Amazon/eBay.
    You probably need this kind of bulb for the dome and map lights. I REALLY don't think that you'd have to have a concern about fire, same size cone connector and takes a LOT less juice to run than a filament bulb. Only ones you have to worry about are the turn signals, since the reduction of power going used will trick your lights into thinking that the bulb is out and you'll get the mad blinking from it. Been running them in my Foz for a while now, they don't get hot at all, and a lot brighter.
    You should be able to search for bulbs for the WRX, since it's basically the same car.

3. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

Thanks, are those a good brand to go with? They're not much more than the ones on Amazon. Looks like the cool white ones are out of stock though

4. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much the best ones you can go with, just be warned, it'll cost you about 70 bucks to do your interior.

5. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

I was planning on only doing the map and dome lights for now and maybe the ones under the sun visors. Are there really 14 lights inside? I was thinking 4 in map and visors, 1 dome and a couple in the trunk

6. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Think in mine there was 6...if you count the door puddle lights. I did cool white on the interior and blue on the puddles, and the bright one for the trunk. Not sure about the visors, didn't do those, don't use them... but the others (with 2 license plate lights and possibly tail lights, can't remember) came out to about that on mine. Diode Dynamics lights are pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

7. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

I ended up buying 4 from Amazon since the ones you linked weren't in stock. Realized I don't even have visor lights, just assumed I did. The only lights in the cabin are the 2 map and 1 dome. No lights in the doors or anywhere else. Haven't checked the trunk because the handle is seized but I'm guessing a couple in there which I'll probably do later.