JuStaWRX's 2014 Forester XT

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by JuStaWRX, Feb 15, 2015.

1. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

You should have done an Inno fairing... They work with oem cross bars. I got one for me Legacy and it actually works quite well.

This mighty mounts used to come with some inserts to make the mount fit better on some bars, but they won't fill the gap the size that you have.

There are actually two sizes of mighty mounts for oem bars... You must have the bigger ones. The smaller ones might work better for yours? Should be the mighty mounts for the 02-07 wrx wagon rails. I think I might have a set sitting around if you're interested or want to test fit. I've battled with rack fitment plenty of times in the past, so I feel your pain lol.

Otherwise, worst/last case would be the new Yakima universal mighty mounts. I haven't experimented with them yet and they look a hair large, but they might work.

2. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

If you have an extra set laying around I'd love to test fit! Otherwise maybe I'll see if I can find a set to mess with. I did not get any inserts with mine, but maybe I can find some of those too?

3. JuStaWRX

Ended up ordering in a set of the other Mighty Mounts (23H) that do come with those spacers, and they seem to be working quite well!

I also ordered some Husky Weatherbeater floor mats. They are the laser cut style, and from what I have read, have as good, if not better reviews than the WeatherTech mats. We will see come winter!

EDIT: Fitment is good. I really like the rear piece a lot with the full coverage. I would love it if the fronts went up even higher on the interior side. Quality seems to be similar to the OEM cargo mat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    TMF likes this.
  4. JuStaWRX

Took off the fairing, as it would rattle pretty good when I had the sunroof open. Going to see what minor adjustments can be made for that....at the same time threw on the snowboard carriers with the new adapters to fit the aerobars. For a pair of carriers that I got for free, I do like them a lot. All in all $20 in replacement hardware. Could use a spray of paint or something, if one were into that sorta thing.
    ForesterXTPowderHound.jpg
    Also wishing that the previous owner had put on the clear bra in front. two small surface paint chips have gotten a hair bigger (a lot of distance driving this summer). May look in to respraying the front bumper next summer.

5. JuStaWRX

Officially hit the spending freeze for the FXT, but I am happy that I finally found a full winter set up for a very reasonable price. 225/60/17 Blizzak tires only saw one season, mounted on some Sport Editions, not totally sure what model number. Purchased and mounted at the Burnsville Subaru (I believe) by the previous owner.

Attached Files:

Chris05WRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. JuStaWRX

Went out to @FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint 's tonight after work and had the front two windows tinted 40% tint. Stand up guy, and glad that I could support a local member! Thank you, Chris! After doing the fronts, it makes me want to darken the rears eventually. Will be putting on the winters with weekend and will snap some photos of the full update, but here is a really crappy pic to start with.

Attached Files:

EricS likes this.
  7. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint Vendor

Thanks for the good words and thanks for coming out to my place! See you again soon!

8. JuStaWRX

Threw the winters on. Definitely my worst plasti-dip job to date. Unfortunately, our garage is not heated so this may have to do for this winter and start fresh when they come off in the spring. IMG_0880.JPG

Weird0 and tangledupinblu like this.
  9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Looks awesome man! Want to trade for my leggy? lol

10. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint Vendor

I'm likin' that!

11. JuStaWRX

Thanks, Jordan! I am pretty happy to where it's getting! As sweet as your Legacy is, I think I'll pass for now. :)

Thank you, Chris! It has taken me a while to fully adjust from the WRX life to this, but I am very happy with how it is turning out. The tint has been great! Excited to get her all cleaned up at the end of the week/this weekend!

12. JuStaWRX

Unfortunately, nothing overly exciting to share here. My headlights burned out today, so on the way home, stopped in at Pep Boys (first time there...) in WSP to try and pick up a set of bulbs. Similar to Napa, the selection was slim. They only carry one brand, Phillips.
    I was in a tight time crunch and so I picked up a pair of the Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras (supposedly similar to Xenon..). I threw them in quick in the parking lot and headed out. They are quite similar if not even a bit brighter than the GE Nighthawks that I had in there before.
    Also, had my winters on for their first winter experience earlier this week and i loved them. I had always run all-seasons for the winter and then a set of summer specific on the WRX, so I was excited when I picked these Blizzaks up. Here's to mounds and mounds of more snow!

Attached Files:

Cotts612 likes this.
  13. JuStaWRX

Not much new for updates. Picked up the quick drain valve to go in on the next oil change, and still looking into possible fog light set ups. Here is the most updated photo in full winter mode.
    upload_2016-1-9_17-18-16.png
    View attachment 20669 FullSizeRender 5.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  14. JuStaWRX

Brought it in today for recall, and decided to bite the bullet (and pray for tax return money) and purchase the fog light kit and install. I am really excited to get them in action!

They also ran it through the wash, and destroyed my Grimmspeed license plate surround... good thing I have at least 3 more!
    IMG_1912.JPG
    upload_2016-2-28_21-2-34.png

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  15. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

The fog lights look good!

How did the license plate frame incident happen? Don't say you took it through the slap and scratch....?!

16. JuStaWRX

So...here's the thing...I thought he asked me if I wanted to be slapped and scratched...when in fact he was asking about the car. :facepalm: Talk about an awkward moment...
    I had an extra Grimmspeed frame laying around luckily!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Ctracey218 and TMF like this.
  17. JuStaWRX

Thanks to @Chris Yahnke - Home for the swap of the auto-dimming mirror to the auto-dimming mirror with Homelink. After wrestling with the programming much longer than I'd care to publicly admit, it's all programmed (and the smudge is cleaned off) and functioning like a charm!
    upload_2016-3-11_19-51-26.png

Ctracey218 likes this.
  18. Chris Yahnke - Home

Chris Yahnke - Home Member

Glad it all worked out! I had to whip the WRX in a few circles to get the navi calibrated, but everything is humming away! (save the missing screw that was eaten by my car) I looked today for a good 30 minutes while vacuuming out the car. Absolutely no luck.

Also, apologies about the smudge, I had to bring my mustache sticker with me hah

JuStaWRX likes this.
  19. Broke_Azz_Baller

Broke_Azz_Baller Member

Out of curiosity have you ever gotten pulled over for your license plate frames? Those are straight illegal in Minnesota :p.
    Only state troopers really care though :bounce:

20. JuStaWRX

Never have had an issue with it. I had them on my WRX for 8 years, and now have had them on the FXT for just over a year, and have had zero problems (knock on wood).

21. wrxwrblue

wrxwrblue Member

I never knew plate frames were illegal. I knew of clear or smoked plate covers were. The dealer had put on their own plate frame on the rear plate only.

22. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I had a license plate frame on a previous car, but it did not have the cut-outs in the right places on the frame for the registration stickers (most frames have cut-outs). I got a parking ticket one time, and they also slapped on a ticket for a blocked license plate. I went in to argue the ticket and I also took pictures of the before (with frame) and after (I removed the frame) and they waived both tickets. When I spoke with the lady in the court house, she said that anything that is blocking any part of the plate (even if it has the cut-outs) are technically illegal. So when dealers put the plate frames on new cars, those are still illegal. I highly doubt a police officer will pull you over for that reason...but if they are looking hard for a reason (on late nights/weekends, police officers are on the prowl for drunk drivers) to pull you over, that gives them a reason.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  23. Broke_Azz_Baller

Broke_Azz_Baller Member

A police officer not likely. A state patrol likely. Two different mindsets. I work with prosecutors nearly every day and interact with both police and state patrols.

Similarly to tint, the state patrol seems to be the only one feisty about a vehicles "look."

24. Broke_Azz_Baller

Broke_Azz_Baller Member

Look at Minn. Stat. § 169.79, subd. 7. Plate fastened and visible. It reads: "All plates must be (1) securely fastened so as to prevent them from swinging, (2) displayed horizontally with the identifying numbers and letters facing outward from the vehicle, and (3) mounted in the upright position."

That statute goes on to say, "It is unlawful to cover any assigned letters and numbers or the name of the state or origin of a license plate with any material whatever, including any clear or colorless material that affects the plate's visibility or reflectivity."

With that being said, what the lady at the courthouse was telling you seems to be 1/2 true ;).

25. Broke_Azz_Baller

Broke_Azz_Baller Member

Anywho...I really like those floor mats!!!! I wish they made some for my SF5. I've seen in Japan they have carpet mats that go over the rear hump, but I have not seen them in America :(.

26. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Good 'ol Decorah! I love hwy 52 and take it home to see the folks every time!
    The curvy bits from just north of Guttenburg last all the way to Dubuque and make for a fantastic drive in the Ru's.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  27. JuStaWRX

Got these paddle extenders in the mail today. They are metal and surprisingly heavy. We will see how they fit for $30.

upload_2016-3-30_19-16-26.png
    upload_2016-4-5_21-44-39.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    jamusix and tangledupinblu like this.
  28. JuStaWRX

Last week, I installed my ThinkWare H50 Dash Cam, and took it on it's maiden voyage up to the north shore (just past Grand Marais). Looking forward to uploading the video.

Manufacturer recommendations were to install the camera on the driver's side, right behind the rear view mirror. I was not keen on that as it would block the light sensor on the mirror, so I mounted it on the passenger side, as close as I could to to mirror, while still leaving room to take it off when needed.

Attached Files:

29. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

Looks good, but clean up that power cable! ;)

30. JuStaWRX

I wondered if you'd say something about that! haha. I have the kit for it (came with about 6 cord clips!) but wanted to be sure that was a decent spot for it before I fully committed :)

31. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

I had to give you a hard time... ;)

32. JuStaWRX

It's been a while since I've updated this, so here are some of the latest parts that are waiting to go on.
    1. Grimmspeed Bro-Tie Bracket/Hella Horns/Wiring Components
    2. 2016 Subaru WRX Catback quad-tip exhaust
    3. SmartTap from Diode Dynamics

I also picked up a heat gun for when it comes time to trim the bumper (and I'll be debadging the majority of the hatch), and plastic interior/trim tools to install the TapTurn and possibly vinyl on the second grille I picked up to fully black out.

Attached Files:

jamusix likes this.
  33. JuStaWRX

Another successful trip to @FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint today! Got 5% put on the sunroof. While there, Chris measured the front and (OEM) rears for me. The front measured at 32% (35% film) and then the OEM rears measured in at 28%. I think I am pretty well sold on putting a 20% over the rears, and most likely a brow in the next couple months.

Attached Files:

jamusix and TMF like this.
  34. tangledupinblu

Tease! Where are the full body shots??

35. JuStaWRX

Needy! This is the best I could do on the fly...and where I could climb up a small hill to get the sunroof.
    upload_2017-3-14_18-24-54.png

36. tangledupinblu

I thought that you got your fronts done also? I want a side shot so that i can see the windows mang!

37. JuStaWRX

Ahhhh I see. I got the fronts done a few months back. Yesterday it was only the sunroof that got tinted. So now the fronts and sunroof are all done.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  38. tangledupinblu

Now for the brow! ;)

39. JuStaWRX

Post 51 and beyond show the side views. I've got a pretty good chip in my windshield right now, so kind of waiting it out to see it will spread or is fixable before putting a brow on this glass. :) But with time it shall happen!

40. JuStaWRX

Grille vinyl wrapped and overlay!
    IMG_5665.JPG
    IMG_5679.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  41. JuStaWRX

Installed XB LED fog lights today, and changed the oil while it was up. I am really excited to see the XBs in the dark! Now I am debating if I want to look for an LED bulb for the headlamps...
    IMG_6044.JPG

Also, as predicted, the biggest disappointment to this car, and more so the brand itself, is the paint. The bumper is starting to chip pretty bad so it's time start shopping for some respraying.

Still on the list for this spring:
    - 2015 WRX Catback system (including bumper trimming...)
    - Build storage box/sleeper slat

TMF, tangledupinblu and jamusix like this.
  42. JuStaWRX

One more from the weekend. I picked up a used roof rack system from a 2012 Mini that had two Thule (sold through BMW/Mini) set ups for kayaks off of Craigslist. I quickly learned that the Thule cross bars are MUCH thicker than the OEM aero bars I have on the Forester. The attachment screw's thread did not go far enough on the screw to fully tighten them down to the cross bars. I went to Home Depot, picked up some M6 x 1.00 (80mm) screws to replace them, but they only had enough for one of the two sets. While they do work ok, I think I will move on from this set up and just bite the bullet and buy the ones that I had been eying from Yakima to begin with. Here is the test fit with one set up.
    upload_2017-5-7_10-34-22.png

upload_2017-5-7_10-35-54.png

Attached Files:

TMF, Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  43. JuStaWRX

And of course as soon as I put in the XB LED fogs, one of my halogen low beams burns out. So I ordered JDM ASTAR G1 LED bulbs through Amazon. 5 minutes after popping the hood, both were in, and we were in business!

upload_2017-5-14_21-36-54.png

Here is the before with the passenger side burned out. (XB LED fogs, and the halogen low beams were the Pep Boys Xenon-like bulbs).

upload_2017-5-14_21-37-41.png

...And the after.

upload_2017-5-14_21-38-15.png
    upload_2017-5-14_21-38-36.png

Thought about going for a quick ride to see what they were like but decided to just wait until tomorrow.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  44. tangledupinblu

Looks like a hell of an improvement based off of the garage door reflection!

JuStaWRX likes this.
  45. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Does mod to car but doesn't immediately drive it afterwards to soak it in. What?!

tangledupinblu and JuStaWRX like this.