Largest tire size that will fit 2003 Forester?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Right Buy Auto, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Right Buy Auto

Right Buy Auto Vendor

I apologize in advance if Im posting this in the wrong section. Just as the title says, I am curious of the largest size tire I can fit on a 2003 Forester XS. Has 215/60/16's currently. I am hoping my 225/70/16's will fit. I am afraid of the spring perch.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I am in the same boat (exact same boat) as you are right now (I too want to toss larger tires on my 2003 Forester XS). There are some threads on subaruforester.org, but your best bet for finding them is to do google searches with the size of tire you want to run and the words "forester SG" or "2003 Forester." I haven't had much time to dig deeply into it as I've been prepping to start a new job after a 10 year run at my previous job. But subaruforester.org is probably the best place to find information.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/225-70-16-will-fit-120713/

Ntxhuav_Khang likes this.
  3. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

Wooooo... 2003 Forester XS party!

225/70/16 will be too big. That size barely fits on the SH Foresters (and still has a bit of rubbing). SG foresters don't have quite the space for larger wheels the SH does. A 215/70/16 will fit just barely on the SG.

4. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

215/70-16 depends on the tire, some rub on the perch some don't, some also rub when turned full lock..

215/65-16 all seem to fit with ease.

225/60-16 fit, again with ease on the stock wheels.

Wheel offset/backspacing will of course play into it.

5. readymix

Let me guess, we're all PSM in color as well? :p
    I'll be fabbing up a brush guard for mine in short order as well. I have a box full of fog lamps that need a home.

6. glen

glen Well-Known Member

I have a new set of 215/65/16 General Grabber AT2's that I could be talked out of, if those are on anyone's radar.

7. readymix

I might be interested. I would unfortunately have to wait till after I get my first paycheck though.

8. glen

glen Well-Known Member

They are just sitting in the garage, will probably continue to do so unless someone else buys them. If I can get most of my money back out of them I'll downsize to 215/60/16 and save myself some headaches.

9. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Sorta off topic but certain model year Subarus have a hyper-active speedometer/odo from the factory. I found that on stock 215/60-16 tires when my Forester's speedo is at 60 mph, I'm actually traveling 58 mph based on what my GPS says. 225/60-16 tires effectively corrects this.