Launch control and flat foot shifting

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by bikerboy, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

}:)

All I can say is wow leaving the line at 5k with all four tires spinning is way cool! And then to shift w/o lifting on the gas is just as cool with those fire balls coming out the exhaust.

Pulls wallet out to set aside cash for another clutch and spare half shafts. :eek:)

M

2. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

WTF did you do? :-o sequential tranny with launch control? What did I miss?

(drooling)

3. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

The UTEC supports launch control via ignition cut or fuel cut. And it appears that Matt is taking full advantage of this feature. Haha!

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

That's called "power shifting." :eek: My tranny won't forgive me if I did that.

5. bikerboy

I wish I could tell you all what the flat foot misfire was like but the best way would be a demo. ;)It is like there is a camera flash behind the car with a huge bam! I see why peoples mufflers were flying off. :D

m

6. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

I wish I could tell you all what the flat foot misfire was like but the best way would be a demo. ;)It is like there is a camera flash behind the car with a huge bam! I see why peoples mufflers were flying off. :D
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Hmm.. I have vid cam, and can make vid for the net. Could drive behind you and get some footage. Vic will operate the camera. :-D

7. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jprice

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikerboy

Hmm.. I have vid cam, and can make vid for the net. Could drive behind you and get some footage. Vic will operate the camera. :-D

Sounds like a plan.

I would like to see the look on the guy's face that has the "fast" S4. LOL

8. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

What do you use for the trigger for the flat shift? I've got that feature on the Haltech too but I can only imagine what that would do to my transmission

9. bikerboy

As long as the launch control is activated in the UTEC the flat foot shifting is on as well. They are really just the same thing used two different ways.

10. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

The utec flat shift is actually easier on the tranny than a regular hard shift. The fuel/timing pull to do the shift is fast, and it gradually adds fuel/timing back in. It still happens faster than we could do it with the pedal, but the transition is very smooth.

The programing is part of the utec, and it just uses the clutch switch for the cruise control.

Russ

11. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

I can't wait till my Utec get's here LOL ;)

12. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

I can't wait till my Utec get's here LOL ;)

Hum, wonder what that means? LOL

13. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

I wanna ride!!!

I sound like Fuji now! :D

14. yosmiley

Jordan, you'll have to hold the cam and film while I drive... I know your A4 will not be able to keep up :D

Matt, if I can get my UTEC in before the dyno day... I'll see if there's enough time... I may ask Jorge to tune my stock car as well... but we'll see what happen.

15. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by yosmiley

Jordan, you'll have to hold the cam and film while I drive... I know your A4 will not be able to keep up :D

Matt, if I can get my UTEC in before the dyno day... I'll see if there's enough time... I may ask Jorge to tune my stock car as well... but we'll see what happen.

Well you will have to go through me as I hold the leash on him for the time he is here. Do you want me to put you dawn as an alternate?

M

16. yosmiley

Matt, they didn't promise me a UTEC but I was told my name will be on the next set of UTEC once it arrive in 2 weeks.

What vendor did you go through? I'm going to call another vendor and see if they have it in stock.

17. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Looks like OB1 has gone to the Darkside }:):p

18. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mushashi

Yep, here's his new ride:
    http://www.roadsquadron.com/Cars/Hwing/

19. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jprice

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mushashi

ROFLMAO

20. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Jorday,
    That was funneee :D

C

21. Neef

Neef New Member

whoa...lauch control? could someone help me out with what that is? i wanna do some 5k launchs....

22. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Mushashi, Why'd you change your response? You decided A4 is not good enough to be featured in Star Wars? :-p

23. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Neef

whoa...lauch control? could someone help me out with what that is? i wanna do some 5k launchs....

lol you can call me I will tell you all about it, plus we still need to get together to get that deposit taken care of

24. Neef

Neef New Member

Matt, how about this weekend?

25. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by WRX1

The utec flat shift is actually easier on the tranny than a regular hard shift. The fuel/timing pull to do the shift is fast, and it gradually adds fuel/timing back in. It still happens faster than we could do it with the pedal, but the transition is very smooth.

The programing is part of the utec, and it just uses the clutch switch for the cruise control.

I never throught of that. I'd have to see how the Haltech handles flat shifting before giving it a go though, it may not be as smooth as the UTEC.

Apparently the PossumLink had some really great settings for flat shifting, ALS, and a few other things. I always did want to try one of those out but I think they were only designed for the WRX plant.

26. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Neef

Matt, how about this weekend?

Weather permitting I should be out.

27. Mr Raced

Mr Raced New Member

Hey guys i know what Matts cars huge fireball coming out of the exhaust is like, got to see a little demonstration:cool:.Lets just say it lights up the night:D Thanks againg for that little run Matt hope we can do it again that was fun as hell.;)

28. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr Raced

Hey guys i know what Matts cars huge fireball coming out of the exhaust is like, got to see a little demonstration:cool:.Lets just say it lights up the night:D Thanks againg for that little run Matt hope we can do it again that was fun as hell.;)

Right on!

29. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Matt, you free Wednesday night to meet up and do some taping? Some before dark, some after? :-D Vic, you game?

30. bikerboy

I should be, It would be best to do it after dark as them you get the full effect. Vic has my number if you want to chat about it.

31. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

I should be, It would be best to do it after dark as them you get the full effect. Vic has my number if you want to chat about it.
    My cell is 612-327-3157

Before dark is better for stock STi to your STi comparo, after dark better for fireball full effect. :-p

32. bikerboy

Oh ok I see how it is! LOL didnt know I was going to have to defend the crown :D

33. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Well, then we're going to have a foot race after that so I can at least have a chance in something ;-)

I'm trying to get a modded (but stock turbos) S4 to come along for fun.

-Jordan

34. yosmiley

LOL, you two are too much... sure I'm game, Wednesday nights fine by me. Just let me know when and where?

Don't invite too many people, it'll bring unwanted attention.

35. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Hmmm this sounds like quality entertainment. Maybe a little birdie will notify me of time and place...haha

36. bikerboy

I'll just invite my biotch. What are you doing Joel

37. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Do you bite your thumb at me, sir? I challenge you to a duel...handbags at ten paces, Saturday at dawn.

38. bikerboy

I dont use a handbag, will a back pack work as well?

Dawn? yeah right

39. bikerboy

The use of Launch Control WILL cause abnormal loads on your engine, exhaust system, O2 sensors, catalytic converters, clutch, gearbox and drivetrain. The use of ignition cut Launch Control WILL place abnormal loads to your valvetrain, turbocharger and exhaust system. The use of Launch Control is entirely optional and the user must be aware of the potential damage it can cause.

LOL they shouldn't have told me it was there! This is like telling me there is ice cream in the freezer.

At least they give a list of spares to order!:eek:

40. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

BUH BYE EJ257!!

[​IMG]

41. bikerboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

BUH BYE EJ257!!

[​IMG]

LOL well maybe not so funny!

42. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Don't worry, replacement short blocks are only $1300 shipped with gaskets.

Russ

43. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

can i ride shot gun.

44. bikerboy

Are the boys planing on playing tonight?

Or did you leave the house with a skirt on this morning?:eek:

45. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Are the boys planing on playing tonight?

Or did you leave the house with a skirt on this morning?:eek:
    C'mon Matt, I prefer to call it a kilt.. even though it is pink spandex. :-o

How far are you willing to drive Matt? If we find a place kind of close to 394 and 100, there's more chance of an S4 showing up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.